“Traveler's Hotel in the Hub” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Harrington

You added Hotel Harrington to your Saves list
Hotel Harrington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   436 11th St NW & E St, Washington DC, DC 20004-4389 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #110 of 137 Hotels in Washington DC
Philadelphia
“Traveler's Hotel in the Hub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've stayed at Hotel Harrington once before when I was protesting. It's a basic hotel, very old, with old everything. Just a room and a bathroom, nothing more, nothing less. It was hot a few weeks ago and we were told that they don't turn the air conditioning on until "later." So we opened the windows only to find that the din and roar that we let in wouldn't allow us to sleep. The only plus factor is that it's within walking distance to everything! If you just want a room to lay your head, this is the place.

Room Tip: Away from Pennsylvania Avenue!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Took the kids to DC for some sightseeing. Didn't want to take the metro everywhere so I read about this hotel which is the closest to the museums. Indeed it was! Some reviews mention the hotel is old. Well, yeah. It's in it's 100th year. Of course it's not going to have things that the Waldorf Astoria has, for goodness sake! What it does have is a very friendly staff, free WiFi (no problem from our room), and an excellent location. It did take me a minute to figure out their "coffee pot" which is a small plastic pitcher you plug in to heat water so you can enjoy your, ahem, instant coffee. Ok, so there's no Keurig. And maybe the cord of said pitcher didn't quite reach the outlet it was next to. Hey, the buildings 100 years old! I enjoyed my stay and I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2014
6 Thank mtheilig1
coniOtto, Manager at Hotel Harrington, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for a very nice review and we appreciate you coming and staying at the Hotel Harrington. We try our best to make sure our guests are happy and I'm glad that you found our hotel to fit your needs. We look forward to seeing you again.
The Hague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a tourist-class hotel is in a very good location, within walking distance to a metro station and to many popular sights. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and were able to answer all my queries. There is a family atmosphere.
It is very good value for money, given the location.
However, the hotel is old and the carpets should be changed.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor if you want a quiet room, as there were a few large groups of touri...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank TriniNL
AnnTerryGM, General Manager at Hotel Harrington, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear triniNL,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at The Hotel Harrington. I’m so pleased you had a great experience from our staff, I will be sure to pass along your comments to the them and how much you appreciated them. We are always looking for ways to improve!
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Ann Terry
annterry35@gmail.com
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The location of this hotel is it's best feature. It is so close to everything! We had a standard queen room and it is cozy - which we expected and was not disappointed by because we weren't there to hang out in our room. However, on the door it said the room can fit 4 - it cannot. It was tight quarters for an adult and teenager but manageable.

WiFi is a featured FREE amenity and it worked Thursday night but then not again then entire weekend and we left after 5pm on Sunday. None of the staff seemed concerned about this and to me it seems odd that their provider didn't come fix the problem over 3 days. I saw the other reviews that the outlets were scarce and not close to the mirrors so I brought along a couple of extension cords - best decision ever. There is an outlet in the bathroom and can be found on the light above the sink. Also, noticed people complaining about the pillows. Those are all VERY accurate. Two very flat pillows on a queen bed... I wish I would have brought my own. Parking is 4 blocks away but you can pull in front to unload, take your bags to the room and then move your car to the lot. So it wasn't as bad as I initially thought it would be.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank BfloGirl32
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The Harrington is not the kind of hotel I would normally stay at on business but my normal company- preferred hotels were all booked and this one was close to where I needed to be. It is what it claims to be - a tourist hotel - so doesn't have the extras such as bathroom supplies coffee machine you would expect in a business orientated hotel. My bedroom was basic and the décor was tired, but it was comfortable and clean. Free wifi was welcome, and still not something you often get even in more pricy places.

Breakfast in the family restaurant was basic but adequate and certainly value for money. The hotel also has a basic bar/ restaurant.

I guess the acid test is, did I get a good night's sleep? The answer is yes, and I was pleasantly surprised by this as my room was on a low floor and facing the main street.

If you want the 'little luxuries' provided by the more expensive chain hotels, then this isn't the place for you. But if you are on a tight budget and want to stay at a good value-for-money hotel right in the middle of Washington DC, I would recommend the Harrington.

and, would I stay there again if on business in DC - yes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank irg141
Waycross, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Don't go here expecting 5 star accommodations. The rooms are small and the pillows are terrible. However the location is great! I had no problems sleeping after a long day of exploring DC. The hotel staff could definitely use some personality. However the employees in the lobby gift shop were nice and friendly. I would stay here again simply for the location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mom0306
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

People shouldn't give bad reviews to a hoteI just because it's older than most and its first year of operation was 1914! They can only spend so much on renovation. IT'S AN OLD HOTEL- NOT a SPARKLY SHINY NEW ONE!!! But has much more character and hominess than newer ones! found the Harrington several years ago and stayed there w/my sister and friend. Although there was only 3 of us- they opened up the door to room next to ours- and gave us BOTH rooms for ONE price! It was great- we had 4 double beds AND 2 bathrooms! So much room! These other people- An Ankenyhamster- who complained about no shampoo/conditioner- Are you serious!? who goes to a hotel without any personal hygiene products?! And then complained "no flat screen t.v!" Come on!! Do you really go to D.C to stay @ a hotel and watch t.v!! Stay at home with your lovely flat screen OR bring it WITH YOU!! And also, someone said they had no coffee pot. We had a lovely one complete with everything we needed for tea/coffee. I'm sure if you'd called them- they'd have brought you one. They are very accommodating. I LOVE the Harrington. I go to D.C every other year and always stay there. It wouldn't be D.C without the Harrington. It is so close and convenient to ALL the main museums, mall, etc. It's in the heart of D.C. The Harrington IS older than all these new shiny, swanky hotels- but i think thats what makes it so charming and homey. It has a retro feel to it- but in a good way. PLUS- everyone is very friendly there- a quality that is becoming rarer quickly!
THANK YOU HARRINGTON!! See you this summer!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank 21ANGIECT
coniOtto, Manager at Hotel Harrington, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you so much for such a great review, we always try to go above and beyond for our customers and glad we made your stay a great one. We serve thousands of people every year and we love hearing how well we do. Thanks again and stop by and say hello when you come back.