“DC hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
The Hague
“DC hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a tourist-class hotel is in a very good location, within walking distance to a metro station and to many popular sights. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and were able to answer all my queries. There is a family atmosphere.
It is very good value for money, given the location.
However, the hotel is old and the carpets should be changed.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor if you want a quiet room, as there were a few large groups of touri...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AnnTerryGM, General Manager at Hotel Harrington, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear triniNL,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at The Hotel Harrington. I’m so pleased you had a great experience from our staff, I will be sure to pass along your comments to the them and how much you appreciated them. We are always looking for ways to improve!
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Ann Terry
annterry35@gmail.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The location of this hotel is it's best feature. It is so close to everything! We had a standard queen room and it is cozy - which we expected and was not disappointed by because we weren't there to hang out in our room. However, on the door it said the room can fit 4 - it cannot. It was tight quarters for an adult and teenager but manageable.

WiFi is a featured FREE amenity and it worked Thursday night but then not again then entire weekend and we left after 5pm on Sunday. None of the staff seemed concerned about this and to me it seems odd that their provider didn't come fix the problem over 3 days. I saw the other reviews that the outlets were scarce and not close to the mirrors so I brought along a couple of extension cords - best decision ever. There is an outlet in the bathroom and can be found on the light above the sink. Also, noticed people complaining about the pillows. Those are all VERY accurate. Two very flat pillows on a queen bed... I wish I would have brought my own. Parking is 4 blocks away but you can pull in front to unload, take your bags to the room and then move your car to the lot. So it wasn't as bad as I initially thought it would be.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The Harrington is not the kind of hotel I would normally stay at on business but my normal company- preferred hotels were all booked and this one was close to where I needed to be. It is what it claims to be - a tourist hotel - so doesn't have the extras such as bathroom supplies coffee machine you would expect in a business orientated hotel. My bedroom was basic and the décor was tired, but it was comfortable and clean. Free wifi was welcome, and still not something you often get even in more pricy places.

Breakfast in the family restaurant was basic but adequate and certainly value for money. The hotel also has a basic bar/ restaurant.

I guess the acid test is, did I get a good night's sleep? The answer is yes, and I was pleasantly surprised by this as my room was on a low floor and facing the main street.

If you want the 'little luxuries' provided by the more expensive chain hotels, then this isn't the place for you. But if you are on a tight budget and want to stay at a good value-for-money hotel right in the middle of Washington DC, I would recommend the Harrington.

and, would I stay there again if on business in DC - yes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Waycross, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Don't go here expecting 5 star accommodations. The rooms are small and the pillows are terrible. However the location is great! I had no problems sleeping after a long day of exploring DC. The hotel staff could definitely use some personality. However the employees in the lobby gift shop were nice and friendly. I would stay here again simply for the location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

People shouldn't give bad reviews to a hoteI just because it's older than most and its first year of operation was 1914! They can only spend so much on renovation. IT'S AN OLD HOTEL- NOT a SPARKLY SHINY NEW ONE!!! But has much more character and hominess than newer ones! found the Harrington several years ago and stayed there w/my sister and friend. Although there was only 3 of us- they opened up the door to room next to ours- and gave us BOTH rooms for ONE price! It was great- we had 4 double beds AND 2 bathrooms! So much room! These other people- An Ankenyhamster- who complained about no shampoo/conditioner- Are you serious!? who goes to a hotel without any personal hygiene products?! And then complained "no flat screen t.v!" Come on!! Do you really go to D.C to stay @ a hotel and watch t.v!! Stay at home with your lovely flat screen OR bring it WITH YOU!! And also, someone said they had no coffee pot. We had a lovely one complete with everything we needed for tea/coffee. I'm sure if you'd called them- they'd have brought you one. They are very accommodating. I LOVE the Harrington. I go to D.C every other year and always stay there. It wouldn't be D.C without the Harrington. It is so close and convenient to ALL the main museums, mall, etc. It's in the heart of D.C. The Harrington IS older than all these new shiny, swanky hotels- but i think thats what makes it so charming and homey. It has a retro feel to it- but in a good way. PLUS- everyone is very friendly there- a quality that is becoming rarer quickly!
THANK YOU HARRINGTON!! See you this summer!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
coniOtto, Manager at Hotel Harrington, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you so much for such a great review, we always try to go above and beyond for our customers and glad we made your stay a great one. We serve thousands of people every year and we love hearing how well we do. Thanks again and stop by and say hello when you come back.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Chose this based on budget & location. Hotels in DC are $$$$, and if you go too far out of DC, you spend all your time waiting for trains and busses. Took my 7th-grader. There are plusses & minuses and depends on what matters to you. Us? A clean decent affordable place to simply rest our head in a good location so we wouldn't spend our time trying to get everywhere. Pictures can't prepare you for how small rooms are. No amenities other than bars of soap. Yes, rooms are run down. Example: no exhaust fan in bathroom, so door is completely warped and splintered along the bottom. But run-down doesn't mean dirty/gross, the rooms are clean. Just old. Closet only 12-inches deep. Walls paper-thin - it's a 100-yr old building (heard someone getting sick at 3am as if he was in my bathroom). Furniture old. This is bare-bones. Parking lot for them is 5 blocks away but cheaper than any other. Park car, unload baggage, move car to garage. Not a big deal. PLUSSES: 5 blks from WH, 3 blks from Smithsonian. Close by Ford's Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe, Starbucks catty-corner. Couple blocks: McDonalds, Subway, Jimmy John's, Qdoba, Potbelly's, TJ Maxx (if you need forgotten clothing) BIGGEST PLUS: 1 1/2 blks from Metro Center Station with all Metro lines. You can get to everything in minutes without having to transfer to another rail line, which is what allowed us to do everything on our list in 2 1/2 days.
Safe neighborhood, mostly business people walking around. Never felt the least bit nervous even after dark.
Basically, if you can prepare yourself that this isn't the Marriott and you are only there to sleep, it's a good fit. We left at 8am and came back at 9pm. Bring earplugs - seems to be a hotel of choice for school groups. A corner room is more quiet, but also even smaller. Do NOT get a room by the elevators. Would I have preferred more luxury, sure. Willing to spend twice as much for it? No.

Room Tip: Corner rooms more quiet, but even smaller. Don't get a room by elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had a conference in D.C. and needed to be within walking distance to the center. The best price I could find for a hotel was $350/night. Then I found Hotel Harrington for only $175. Which I thought was still steep, but considering how much lower it was then all the nearby hotels, I figured it must not be very nice.

I didn't have high expectations but I WAS concerned I'd be kept up all night by noisy student groups. I wasn't! Though my room was close to an elevator so I could hear the "ding" all night as it stopped on my floor.

The windows are filthy, the tube TV doesn't work, no electrical outlet in the bathroom, the room is very dark - I could go on. But it was comfortable enough, I wasn't spending much time there anyway and the staff was friendly/helpful. Considering the location and the price compared to other places, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-facing room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Harrington? Share your experiences!