“Walking distance to the mall” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #88 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Walking distance to the mall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I thought this Hyatt was quite luxurious and had few complaints about the service and the look of the hotel. Maybe it's because I usually stay in mid-range (Comfort Inn, etc.) hotels?

You can tell the staff is really trying hard to help out and the location really can't be beat - you can be on the National Mall in less than 10 minutes, Ford's Theater is around the corner, it's connected to the Metro Center metro station, and there are tons of restaurants and cafes around.

With all that was wonderful and good, I'm sad that I have to add one important caveat: Beware the rooms with connecting doors (you know, those double sided doors that can turn two individual rooms into a double). When you can hear your neighbors blowing their nose and clearly hear where they are making their dinner plans for the night, it's too thin. I'm not sure if all rooms have this, but if possible I would recommend asking to be put in a room that doesn't have a connecting door.

As with all the hotels at this level, you're going to have to pay for any extras including wireless, parking, breakfast, etc. I guess that's life at the top?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My sister and I drove into DC for an over-night Girls Night Out and stayed at the Grand Hyatt. We didn't realize how close the hotel was to Chinatown. The location was perfect we were within walking distance of the Warner Theater. We also walked to a fabulous restaurant called Olu. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfy. They only down side was that the rooms were dimly lit, although there were at least 4 different lamps in the room. Icing on the cake was the GREAT and might I say FREE Sunday brunch we had. (I used my AAA card for the Breakfast for two special). The restaurant was located in the atrium of the hotel's lower lobby.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear TaniaTheTraveler:

Thanks for taking a minute to write up a review in regards to your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington D.C. I’m happy to hear the location worked well for you. It sounds as though you and your sister had a great girls night out with us! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Nick B. – Customer Service Representative
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stayed 3 nights at the Hyatt for a conference at the Washington Convention Center. I found the room to be spacious, the bed comfortable, and the shower really quite good. The room was perfectly clean. I had a room on the 11th floor that overlooked the atrium. I can see what others mean about the sound of the air conditioning and the atrium noise at night, but neither of them were loud enough to bother me at all. I was disappointed with the internet service, which was important for the work that I was doing while there. I paid the exorbitant $15/day for "faster" service, and it still wasn't terribly fast. WiFi costs hotels very little - that's why less pricey hotels can offer it for free. So it's just crazy that pricier hotels rip off their customers like this. I liked the fact that the hotel was just a couple of blocks walk to Chinatown and the Gallery Place/Verizon Center area, where there are lots of places to eat.

Towson, Maryland, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I went to this hotel with my wife for the weekend, thinking that the Grand Hyatt would be a pretty nice hotel. We were impressed when we walked in the lobby. My husband is a bit paranoid about bed bugs, and I've always made fun of him, but when we got to our first room, he pulled the sheets back to expose some sort of feeding frenzy under the top mattress. I was so freaked out. We immediately left the room and were upgraded to a suite. The manager admitted there had been some problems and was very apologetic. But, I was too grossed out to really enjoy anything after that. I just wanted to go home and boil all my stuff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear ILOVETRAVEL3,

We take every report of bed bugs very seriously. If a guest reports that he or she may have found bed bugs, we take swift action. We immediately remove the room from service and call in a nationally recognized pest control expert to investigate the room and take all steps necessary to address the situation.

The safety of our guests and the cleanliness of our facilities are top priorities. The trained and knowledgeable housekeeping staff at Grand Hyatt Washington DC is one of the best lines of defense along with our regular inspections. We pride ourselves on keeping our teams equipped with the knowledge, training, and tools needed to identify and address any issues, and we regularly review our housekeeping standards and procedures to ensure that each Hyatt guest enjoys a safe, clean and comfortable environment in our hotels.

I invite you to private message us via TripAdvisor if you can provide us with more information about your stay and these alleged incidents, such as the dates of your stay. We encourage all of our guests to report any alleged incidents to us promptly so we can quickly address the situation.

Brock S. A Guest Relations Associate
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We had two adjoining rooms, a 2BR Suite, I think they called it. Our friends with the same room had a microwave, but we did not. The room was dirty and dingy. The doors between the two rooms kept locking themselves and there was seemingly nothing that could be done, which is big trouble when you are traveling with small children. The refrigerator froze our food into rocks. The room was shoddy with stains all over the table and woodwork.

All of this wouldn't bother me if I hadn't been traveling with my family. We have two small kids. We had called ahead to make sure they had cribs. We were told it was no problem. When we arrived, we were told they only had one of our rooms cleaned, but the cribs would be up shortly. The kids were tired from the long trip. AFter we got to our room, the front desk called us a while later to inform us there were no cribs available. I said, "That's not going to work for us," and the man hung up on me (!?). I thought perhaps it was an accident, but it became clear it wasn't when he did not call back. I went downstairs to talk to the manager, and pulled the pathetic strung out mother card. She said they had been out of cribs for days (so I had to wonder why they lied to us on the phone the day before.) My baby missed her nap. They finally got one crib for us hours later. It took a further hour for them to deliver sheets for it. The baby was so overtired by this point that she screamed herself to sleep after screaming all afternoon. Our toddler, too small for a regular bed, slept in a queen bed surrounded by pillows and we kept rearranging her all night so she wouldn't fall out.

We went to breakfast the next day and came back to find our room partially cleaned even though we were checking out a half hour later. Of course, by this point, our children had covered us in feces and vomit. Conveniently, the "cleaners" took all the soap and towels from our room. Soap? Who needs soap in a hotel? Cribs? Nah.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again even if they paid me. I had hoped for a fun weekend with our friends, but the hotel blunders really put a major damper on things.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Dear MomWithTwoKids,

I’m sorry to hear about your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington DC. This is not what our guests should come to expect while staying at a Hyatt property. If you would like to discuss these issues in further detail, please feel free to contact us, as we are happy to assist.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We recently spent the weekend at this hotel and loved it. It was very reasonably priced, the room overlooked the atrium but we didn't hear any noise. The breakfast buffet was $18 but lasted us all day. Did I mention the hotel was located right over the Washington metro system - you didn't even have to go outside? And it was a 7 minute walk to the Smithsonia mall and all the museums. What a great location!!!
Downsides - the gym is not theirs and you have to pay $10 per day to use. We choose not to pay the extra. If you are driving, parking is very expensive.
Great value, great hotel, great location.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

The only major plus of this hotel is its location. It is right over the metro line and within walking distance of a great deal of DC. Otherwise, this hotel is a miss and in a sad state. Unfortunately, this hotel has the feel of being neglected and losing money. While the lobby and public areas are nice enough, the rooms are moderately neglected with old dated furniture and carpets and substandard cleaning. This is a Grand Hyatt, it should be quite nice. That said, our room had multiple candy wrappers and stains around that had simply not been cleaned up from the prior occupants. Additionally, we traveled with small children, and the hotel was simply out of cribs. They had no excuse, I had even called the day before to request a crib for our room which they indicated would be OK, but on arrival, they were not available- in fact, they said that they had been out "for days." Why had they promised me one the day before? 3 hours later, the hotel was able to find one crib, but this was after a great deal of complaining, and the realization that we would have to stay in another hotel or drive home if we couldn't get a crib for our baby.

Other smaller details included the fact that the housekeeping staff came and partially cleaned our room while we were at breakfast, and threw away all of our soap, leaving us with no soap or towels when we returned from breakfast and all of our dirty linens sitting in a pile in our living area. This was simply perplexing.

While the rate we paid was good for the location, I would never contemplate a stay in DC at this hotel again. There are lots of other good options nearby-- stay somewhere smaller where they actually take care of the place and pay attention to their guests' needs.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
I'm glad we were able to contact you regarding your stay. We hope to welcome you back to Hyatt soon!

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate