“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #88 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
NY, NY
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Got a great deal here in December with AAA's "Free Breakfast" promotion. Check In was efficient and quick. Our 7th floor room was situated in the corner with a view of H Street and 11th street. Our corner room was spacious and clean. There was some noise from the buses and police sirens but we live in NYC so it wasn't an issue for us.

Tons of restaurants nearby at all different price levels. We walked to most of the museums.

If you have mobility issues, ask for a room closer to the elevator since the walk from the elevator bank (6 sets) is quite long given that this is an atrium style hotel.

The "Metro Center" Metro stop has an underground passageway into the Grand Hyatt which was ultra convenient since it was very cold. The Hotel's indoor parking garage was full the day we arrived so we parked in the lot across the street from the Hotel entrance (enter on 9th Street between "H" and "I" streets) for $20 for each 24-hour period.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Turkish first
GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

The Grand Hyatt was wonderful! Perfect location. They allowed me to check in early and had a gentlemen greeting everyone as they waited to check in/check out. Every staff member I saw greeted me throughout the stay. The room was spacious and spotless. The towels were nice, the bed was comfy, and the toiletries were ok. I had the breakfast buffet one morning since the rate package provided a 1/2 price coupon. It was $10. The buffet was really, really good. All kinds of fresh fruit, eggs, biscuits, fritattas, meats, cheese, breakfast breads, etc. The maids were not intrusive. The room overlooked the atrium and provided a change of pace. If you go, remember to go towards the 11th street Metro exit. The hotel has a corridor from Metro. I didn't know which way to go the first time.

The only drawbacks were the extra charges. There was a fee to use the internet in the business center ($10 for about 8 minutes). Local calls were not free either. I have no idea how much my soda from the mini-bar will cost.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Leavenworth, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I know to ask but forgot. From our room we could barely hear anything but every day at breakfast it was very very loud. I had wondered when checking in why she gave us free buffet and all I can say is if it wasn't free we would have never returned.

The room was comfortable, the tv nice. No problems with service. We were busy with family in the area & Christmas so didn't hang at hotel much. We stayed a whole week. It was nice to be able to walk to many things we wanted to see.

I would do two things if I owned this hotel though. I would have a bar besides the sports bar that is loud and full of young people. We are middle age and wanted a quieter night cap and had to leave hotel to get it.

The restaurant there has a strange menu and after looking at it we got up and left. I would stay there again because of good rate but if I had to pay more would check else where.

I also would say it bothers me when you have to pay for the internet. I brought my laptop but didn't use it, just waited until I was at my daughters. I think this is an amenity that should come free with a room in modern times.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Room - modern enough and clean/comfortable. After reading other reviews concerning room to room noise we were a bit nervous however we had no real problems - yes if people are really noisy you may just hear them in the next room but it certainly wasn't an issue that we noticed regularly (and we did have a family with two young boys next to us). The only other thing I will say about noise is that the room doors seem to slam shut quite loudly - perhaps Hyatt could do something to fix that a bit;

Service - good/friendly/professional. Busy over Xmas period and probably could have used a few extra check-in staff. Room service was tasty and quick. The restaurant in the hotel was amazing too - all organice fresh produce meals - delicious! Really impressive!;

Location - fantastic - 'Metro Centre' Metro Station 'under' hotel - basically a short (warm) walk through buildings to the foyer of the hotel - which was appreciated in the freezing conditions! Even without the Metro, the hotel is in a walkable distance to many touristy things. There is a Starbucks right next to the check-in counter in the lobby! Great for first thing in the morning on a cold day;

Value - we paid $99 USD a night (without taxes) and were very pleased with what we got.

Would stay here again!

Vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Stayed there for 3 nights and it was a very good hotel! Nice Lobby, clean rooms, comfortable bed! Location was superb, as the subway is beneath the Hotel, and you can also walk to major sights. Only downturn was the noiselevel! Woke up every morning because of noise from other rooms. You might want to bring earplugs.
Internet Wifi not for free, but you can walk one block to Cafe Cosi for cheaper breakfast and free Wifi.
I would stay there again!

Philadelphia, Pa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Let's get one thing straight off the bat: this is a BIG hotel that often has meetings and conventions. I think a guest's experience will vary largely based on the type of convention that is there (bankers vs. cheerleaders) and whether or not there is one going on. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt three times this past year for a total of five days (twice with my wife and five-year-old son, and once with just my wife). We've always been very pleased with both our rooms and the service received. I'm surprised by other comments that talk about unfriendly service: we've never experienced that. Even the housekeepers would greet us in the morning as we walked to breakfast with a smile and a friendly "good morning." I've stayed in many D.C. hotels over the years on both business and pleasure, and think the Hyatt compares well to many of the other hotels in the city.

Pros: Very good location, walkable to Mall sights and with a major Metro interchange under the hotel (Metro Center) in case you don't want to walk; easy to get to from Union Station or D.C. suburbs due to the Metro stop underneath (some of the low-cost bus services like BoltBus also stop right across the street from the hotel); nice, large rooms with comfortable bedding and other amenities; excellent off-season rates (including in the summer when Congress isn't in session); good breakfast buffet (but expensive if not included in your room rate); friendly and accommodating staff; attached parking garage ($26 for 24 hours) is convenient; convenient to Chinatown area and other night-time spots (movie theater, restaurants, etc.)

Cons: Like I said, it's a big hotel. Elevator waits can be annoying when the hotel is fully booked; may be a wait for breakfast if you go late; breakfast buffet is pricey a la carte when not included in room rate (~$20 person, and ~$10 for kids) and lines can be long (not the best-designed buffet for large volumes of people); street parking is limited during the week, but opens up on the weekends (try to find a street spot if you are there on the weekend before paying the garage rate); Starbucks coffee shop closes early during the week.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Prince George, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Really close to all washington attractions. 5 blocks from the white house and 7 to 8 blocks from the national mall and washington monument.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple