“Unbeatable Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Explore DC
Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Unbeatable Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2005

Stayed here on a $80/night PL bid 2/16-2/19. Was given a room on the "Gold Passport" level as I am a GP member. Great hotel - convenient to the Metro station (just an escalator ride from the lobby). Would stay here again on a PL bid, but wouldn't pay the normal $250+ per night.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2005

We thouroughly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hyatt. The location and accomotations are perfect. We utilized the Metro on several occasions which is just underneath the hotel. I would definately recommend getting yourself a color coded Metro map or bringing a red, blue, orange & green highliter. The Metro was confusing the first day but got easier as we learned the ropes. We also took the Trolley one day which enabled us to cover a lot of ground in easy fashion. It stops in front of the Hyatt. We walked to the Spy Museum, the Ford Theatre, the Mint and the Mall, all a fifteen minute max walk.

The hotel has a great deli, the Zephr, very reasonable, fresh, quick food. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was good but expensive. The Grand Slam restaurant in the hotel was dark, smoky but had decent food. We went to Capital City Brewing Co, Oceanaire(expensive) and the Hard Rock Cafe, all within a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel and the food and service were excellent at all three places.

The rooms were very nice, fresh and clean. We had a king bed which was plush, the kids had the two doubles which were not quite as nice. They got their room at half price.

The Zoo was fantastic as was the Spy Museum, the Mint, the National Cemetary, the Memorials and all the Smithsonian museums. The kids had a great time ice skating at the mall.

Cabs are cheap in DC. Just ask the approximate price before you take off because they don't use meters. DCA Reagan National Airport was a 10-15 minute ride from the Hyatt. We took a cab to the hotel for $18.00 for 5 of us. The cab back to the airport charged $30.00. It should of been $18.00 but I failed to ask the price before we left the hotel and he got me. We never had a need for a car during our stay.

The Grand Hyatt is a beautiful, elegant, comfortable hotel in a very nice part of downtown. Never any security issues walking at night.

We spent a lot of time trying to decide where to stay and in the end feel that we made the best choice.

• Stayed February 2005
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2005

The Grand Hyatt is a wonderful place to stay. The room, which was quite large, looked newly renovated, decorated in a pleasant, tasteful manner. The bathroom was large and very clean. The bed was fine, although not as nice as the "heavenly beds" at Westins for example. The staff, from the front desk to the housekeeping to the concierge were pleasant and accommodating. They were very responsive to any request or concern. On my first night there was a group of noisy teenagers slamming doors in the hallway, which kept me awake for quite a while. When I told the front desk, they offered to send security upstairs and offered my room for 1/2 off + a free breakfast. I don't know about you, but I have never had a hotel offer to knock off 1/2 the cost of the room--I was impressed. The atrium of the hotel is very attractive and the hotel is directly connected to the Metro. Incredibly convenient. Room service was prompt and the food quite good, as was the breakfast buffet. Food is very expensive however. Also, despite being a frequent Hyatt guest, they charge you for health club use, ($11) which is disappointing. Either that or take the "business plan" at arrival for $20/day which gives you breakfast and health club use. The neighborhood is not as pleasant for strolling for restaurants and shopping as DuPont Circle, but it is very convenient to all the sites. I highly recommend this hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2005

My wife and I just completed a stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. We both left with mixed feelings about our stay. For the most part, the staff was very pleasant and helpful. We did have troubles initially as the hotel was experiencing technical problems. The initial front desk employee could not put us in a room with a queen or king bed and was apparently not interested in accommodating us. A few hours later, with a much more responsive front desk, we were moved to a new room.

As others have stated, the atrium is beautiful and the location is convenient to many attractions. We found the room to be very average (standard, nice, neutral decor). The bed was very uncomfortable and the most disappointing part of our stay.

Overall, for a hotel of this caliber (ratings wise), I would expect much more. I will likely try a different hotel for the next trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt with 2 friends for a girls weekend trip filled with sightseeing. The hotel lobby was beautiful and we enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the lobby restaurant on two mornings. Our room had plenty of space for the three of us and we really appreciated the large bathroom. I did not find the beds hard as some have previously mentioned in their reviews.

The convenience of this hotel cannot be beat. While in DC we visited the Capital, The White House, Arlington Cemetary, several Smithsonian museums, many of the monuments, Chinatown, Ford's Theater, The National Gallery of Art, and we took a trip on the Metro to Alexandria. Being able to access the Metro without ever leaving the hotel was fantastic! We rode the Metro or walked everywhere we went with the exception of one hot afternoon when we took a cab back to the hotel because we were too tired to walk any further!

The only negative comment I have is that the concierge was difficult to speak with. We called and left messages twice and our call was never returned. Once while walking by, we did ask for a restaurant recommendation and were steered toward a very good meal within a short walking distance.

The Grand Hyatt is very convenient to all DC sightseeing and I would not hesitate to book it again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2005

I always try to give a very objective rating and I'll be absolutely fair on this one. Very impressive atrium and the service is friendly. Attended to by a very charming Jamaican lady at reception. Friendly concierge as well. A big plus is that the metro is linked to the hotel. We did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food. I must agree with other reviewers on the "okay-but-not-a-wonderful" bed but I should not complain because I got an excellent internet rate. Rooms are exceptionally clean and I particularly liked the rooms overlooking the atrium. When I returned after a day's stay at the Reston Hyatt (great beds) for a further two days at the Grand Hyatt in DC we were not given a room overlooking the atrium and it was "gloomier" but we were out for most of the day and too tired to care when we returned. Safe to walk at night: Chinatown, movies and a very short cab ride to Union Station. Pleasant walk to the White House. Close to pharmacy and Starbucks.

Been to Grand Hyatt Washington? Share your experiences!