“Great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Explore DC
Ranked #47 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I was here for a convention on disability issues, an annual event that has been held here several times. Odd, in my opinion, due to the lack and odd placement of enough elevators to the basement level convention/meeting rooms. The hosts proudly announced that the hotel staff would provide access to service elevators for use by persons with mobility issues who couldn't use escalators.
Besides that it is a great location for business and pleasure travelers wanting proximity to Capital Hill, the White House, and many of the other attractions the capital has to offer.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
Good Morning Sharla S,

Thank you for being our guest at Grand Hyatt Washington. I am very to hear you really enjoyed the location of the hotel and found it very convenient for your travels. I am sorry to hear about the elevator challenges you encountered during this visit and please be assured that I will speak with management on this issue and get it resolves prompty so this does not happen in the future.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Turkish first
Jamaica, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

I spent 6 nights at the Grand Hyatt Washington on business. It's in a good spot. China town is just a few blocks away and shopping is nearby also. Keep in mind that valet parking is $45/day with in and out privileges. Otherwise it's self parking a couple of blocks away at $37? Per day (not completely sure, can't remember) and you pay each time you go in and out. My coworker found that out the hard way. It's a nice hotel with a Starbucks inside (awesome). It also has another convenience/souvenir type store. My only issue was with housekeeping. I guess because I stayed there for an "extended" period they didn't think it was necessary to clean my tub daily. The soap scum built up(which I took pictures of). I called housekeeping and the woman who answered the phone was very apologetic and offered to send someone up. I declined as it was late and asked if she could just make sure someone did it the next day. Needless to say it never got done and the soap scum greeted me twice a day at shower time. The complimentary tea bags also weren't replenished daily. The valet guys were very accommodating and friendly all but one but even with his demeanor it didn't take away from the other great guys on the staff. The Front desk people were great. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
Morning Natalie B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your visit to Grand Hyatt Washington. Happy to hear you really enjoyed our location and our great team. They were thrilled to have you as a guest and they look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I am very sorry to hear about the housekeeping challenge you ran into during your visit. I will get this review right to our housekeeping management so we can follow up and get that issue resolved promptly. Again, thank you for recommending our hotel and pointing out that you would return.

Safe Travels,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I made my reservation over two months ago. When I arrived they gave me the crappiest room in the hotel. The room is 1293. I had to sleep on a pull out couch for the last three days .
Then when my wife sent me some stuff by Fed ex some dope called j Wharton signed for my package but never bothered to deliver it to the business center. The result being that as I write this it took them 20 minutes to find my package. Three different people did not know where it was .

If I were you, I would stay somewhere else. I used to be a big hyat fan until my stay here .

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Good Afternoon Randie W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your past stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. We are so sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered during this visit and we would love to speak with you further on this matter. Please feel free to reach out to our Guest Relations department, we are more than happy to assist. We look forward to hearing from you and safe travels.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

On the web site of Grand Hyatt, the following is written : " Expect nothing less than spectecular " and I expected more than what I got...

*traces of urine on the toilet seat
*mold on the air conditioning
*I ask for assistance and a member of the staff hang simply up on me
*I had to get a taxi by myself

Sorry, but this was a really bad experience....

Greetings bermes,

Thank you for going out of your way to share your feedback about your most recent visit to the Grand Hyatt Washington. I am absolutely appalled to hear about the challenges you encountered during this visit and really hope they were brought to management's attention during your visit. We have also forwarded your comments to our executive management team to follow up and to ensure this things do not happen in the future to our guests. We would love to speak about this incident with you further. Please feel free to contact us because we definitely would like to make this right.

Safe Travels,

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Overall, this hotel is a good to very good example of a convention type hotel. At checkin I was given several opportunities to increase my daily rate ... first I was offered a suite for $100 more per night, and then I was offered a $35 internet/breakfast package for my stay. Once I declined both of those, I was then given a room that didn't match my corporate rate..I'd booked a king-size bed work room, and got a two queen bed room. All of the rooms seem quite similar in size .. they are large, comfortable rooms with nice amenities.

The room was clean and in good repair...paint, wallpaper up to date. There was a narrow desk to work on (king bed rooms have much larger work desks), and just two plugs for devices next to the desk. The large TV can be seen from either the bed or the desk area, but not from the large and comfortable sitting chair. Good lighting everywhere, great bed. There is a safe in the room for valuables, an iron and ironing board, but no robes. The only thing in the room that seemed out of place was a beat-up copy of the hotel services book ... the binding was frayed and damaged and was an eyesore that someone should have seen and refreshed.

The bathroom was also large and spacious, with a better than average size bathtub and shower combination. Water pressure was fine, plenty of towels, and very clean.

A Diet Coke in the gift shop costs $3.19, daily delivery of The Wall Street Journal was included, and there is a health club on the property with a lovely pool, changing room with a working sauna (and an unworking steam room taped up with duct tape ... not so elegant), and two large rooms with workout equipment and TV's to watch. There are several restaurants and bars on the property, and many more nearby.

Hello EricNilson,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from a past visit to Grand Hyatt Washington. We often hear compliments on our great customer service and our convention oriented style of hotel. I am thrilled you really enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you return. I am sorry to hear about the room type not being honored during your stay and seeing some not so elegant amenities. I have forwarded your comments to management and we will get these things resolved as soon as possible.

Warm regards,

Washington D.C., United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Air conditioning is intolerable and restaurant menu is very weak compared to surrounding hotels. The staff is excellent and the location is great. I enjoyed the Renaissance more though. It is more of an Embassy Suites level hotel. Travel to local sites is easy and it is very near many excellent restaraunts . The cheap breakfast place was great for food on the go and Starbucks inside is great too. I will not go back until they remise they upgrade the air conditioning though

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

HyattGuestRelations, Hyatt Guest Relations at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, October 2, 2014
Dear Dennis M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay at Grand Hyatt Washington this summer. I am glad to know that you found our location convenient to the local sites and restaurants.

I am sorry to learn that the air conditioning was not working properly in your room. Certainly your comfort is important to Hyatt. Please do feel free to contact Guest Services regarding the issue with your AC at 1-800-323-7249.

We do hope to welcome you back to Hyatt on another occasion.

Safe travels.

Julie B--Hyatt Guest Relations
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Chose this hotel because of the group rate and its fantastic location near Chinatown and fabulous restaurants. Pleasantly surprised at how open the lobby area was, and it gave you the feeling of a large open plaza, yet was still enclosed and nicely air-conditioned (since this was July). Another great plus is that the hotel is connected to the Metro Center subway station making it super easy to get around DC. The room was nicely decorated and comfortable. Fitness center could have been nicer and you have to leave the lobby area to access it (on the way to the subway station).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for posting this review of the Grand Hyatt Washington. I was happy to see you liked our location, spacious lobby area, rooms, and access to the Metro. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate

Been to Grand Hyatt Washington? Share your experiences!