“Surprisingly good value on a holiday weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Explore DC
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bellevue, Washington
“Surprisingly good value on a holiday weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt over the Labor Day weekend, taking advantage of a special offer, and were pleasantly surprised at what we got for under $150.00 a night, all taxes included. The well-lit room was very spacious, with lots of counter space to put things on--a credenza, bedside tables, desk, and big console with TV; and the roomy bathroom had plenty of shelf space. We were on the 11th floor, facing the courtyard, so street noise wasn't a problem, although we did hear some TV noise from the adjoining room. Service was generally attentive, though we found ourselves without washcloths on the second day, and it took about half an hour for the housekeeping staff to deliver some. But the spaciousness of the room, the excellent location (within easy walking distance to the Smithsonian and other major attractions), and the outstanding weekend brunch served in the Grand Cafe will have us seriously considering a repeat booking for our next trip to DC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Turkish first
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel rooms are very nice but it you need to book a small meeting room there be prepared to have to check everyday to find out where you are and how to get there because the rooms are several levels down and not well marked. Additionally you need to get there early to make sure it has what you requested and finding someone to address any gaps may be a problem.

Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

If there was an option to rate this Hyatt good, I would have done it. So...three and a half stars. We stayed here for four nights in September as a family (two adults, one young child). The hotel is very well located and a short walk to the museums and a lot of very good restaurants. There is an underground train stop right by the hotel so the journey to the zoo was quick and easy. The hotel lobby was always busy - there are obviously a lot of events held here, from business to weddings. Arrival and check in were very efficient and we got to our room quickly and the room was spacious and clean. Housekeeping every day was efficient, and after requesting, we got the room serviced every morning so our son could have his regular mid day nap.

So why only three stars? We have stayed in three other Hyatts this past year and have Platinum status. Each of the other stays was excellent with added service and treatment that made us extremely pleased with each stay. This time there was nothing like that. In fact, after pre-booking a crib for our son and confirming with e-concierge, and requesting it at check in, and when we went to dinner, the crib did not arrive until we asked again after returning from dinner with child asleep in stroller. We did get a call from the hotel with apologies the next day. We also found the hotel noisy at night with guests arriving back at the hotel between 2 and 4 am and talking in the corridor outside the room.

Altogether we were satisfied and thought the hotel was good value. We would probably stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

There is something about Hyatt hotels that I just don't like. I think it is because they are average at best and they always seem overpriced. With so many other hotel options, why stay at the Hyatt? We stayed here simply because a travel partner had a cheap rate.

There is not any part about a stay at the Hyatt that is uniquely Hyatt - other than the lack of a mini bar and the strange open design. I have stayed at Hyatt Hotels over the years and have never had a memorable experience.

There was nothing wrong with this location per se. I felt depressed when I arrived at the hotel because it was just blah - there was not any energy or any signs of life. When I arrived my package couldn't be located and the room service menu was missing. While minor, these two mistakes annoyed me after a long day at work and a late flight.

One positive was the bartender at the restaurant and another positive was the Starbucks in the lobby.

Matawan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel itself is very nice. The service from the staff was okay. I was in a room that faced the street and the loud trucks and construction sounds were annoying. I did like the complimentary water in the foyer. My room was a decent size since I was the only one in it. I would have liked some more lotion other than the one tiny one in the room my entire stay.

Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I like the open atrium design of the Grand Hyatts. There is a wonderful spacious feeling to the Hyatts and this one is no exception. You know you are in a hotel that is a cut above the rest.

We arrived by taxi from Union Station and were greeted warmly by a bellman and then by the front desk staff and from then on throughout our stay everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful.

I was the trip planner for five guys who came to DC to see some specific sights and the Grand Hyatt was a PERFECT location for us. We were able to walk to Fords Theatre, The Newseum, Smithsonian American History Museum and the National Gallery. It was also a short walk to our favorite local restaurant, Old Ebbitt Grill. And it was just a short cab ride to the FDR and MLK memorials. By the way, just across the street is a good spot for lunch - Capital City Brewing.

OK, we are guys; so, we don't inspect our room with a white glove but there were no complaints about the cleanliness of the rooms. The guys who hit the hotel breakfast buffet said it was very good; I had a light breakfast in the lobby café that was just fine. I also used the fitness center which I found to be considerably above the norm for hotel facilities in terms of both the variety and number of machines. I should also mention that I found the hotel concierge to very helpful and very friendly.

I recommend the Grand Hyatt. I hope to return again soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear TeamMan,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay while you were with us. Our open air atrium is quite the spectacle as you walk into our hotel. Our employees will be recognized for the wonderful level of service you experienced. Hyatt takes great pride with this. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back, to our hotel, on your next visit to Washington DC.

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the location. You can get to any of the sites on foot as well as restaurants.
The rooms are not that big and I heard the place was recently renovated....I could tell the room was somewhat renovated (bed, decor sink) but the shower seemed original. I was a bit grossed out to find two bobby pins in the middle of the room...as if they didn't vacuum before we got there! We were on the 8th floor and the hallway was pretty noisy. I would recommend an upper floor facing the atrium, less noisy.
It felt as if the toiletries were half used, as someone else posted, and I found that odd. The only amenities in the room were shampoo and conditioner ...nothing else.
For the price and location I would recommend this hotel but if you are looking for a romantic nice room, this is not it.
The breakfast buffet is pretty good and costs $24. If you prefer you can go to starbucks or panera down the street.
We checked out most of chinatown and I would not recommend any of the restaurants there....BEWARE...pretty gross!
The only somewhat good place we ate was Matchbox pizza...it is was ok but not worth the $22 for a large pizza.
If you are looking for a great location within walking distance of many attractions and the airport than this place is for you. If you need wifi in your room....forget it...its $10.99 a day unless you are inthe lobby. If you want to use the business enter be sure to bring your credit card....they charge where other hotels do not.
We had a great trip, wonderful weather and the hotel was just fine for our four day visit to DC!

Room Tip: Choose a room on one of the upper floors facing the atrium