“Nice job upgrading rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Explore DC
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice job upgrading rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

They finally put some money into these tired rooms and I must say it is a marked improvement. Staff is always very pleasant and nice. My only gripe is to go have a casual bite in the hotel the sports bar is the only option. It is like a cave and quite dark and gloomy. I wish they would nuke this part of the hotel and open it up with a nice lobby bar.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the middle of hotel. Rooms at the far end take forever to get to elevators. Also...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have stayed here before with my late husband 10 years ago. That was in an ordinary room. This time I stayed in Club level and enjoyed the luxury of the Club Lounge.

Breakfast was fine, until the families with their ill-behaved children arrived. Do people need to have it spelt out to them that a shared public space is not a playground where their brood can do what the hell they want? Also the business types trying to out do each other was amusing, but puerile. They should have taken note of their quieter colleagues who seemed to network with more people!

In addition, I suffer on and off with tinnitus, and at the moment it is particularly troublesome. Breakfast was hell, but I do not want to live in the room. Other times of the day were better. I also prefer to ease myself into the day gently.

I loved the lunch time cookies (the cinnamon cookies are delicious). The evening nibbles were always a treat, though I would have preferred a greater range of meat free options. Just a minor quibble.

Benjamin and Ana gave a great service, inconspicuous, efficient and friendly. When they managed to break the ice around my austere British persona (not that difficult really) they were like friends. In fact, I would say throughout the hotel everybody was friendly, but not in an overly American way that assumes a friendship that my British reserve finds too pushy. Top marks all round. The room was always kept clean.

So why only four stars?

I have one major bugbear. Muzak. It has always been intrusive, even without tinnitus. The modern trend in muzak is for highly repetitive "calming" music which does anything but calm me. The forwardness of rhythm sections is also most annoying. I know I am in a minority when I find piped music abhorrent, but if those with visual problems are considered with braille this and that, when will those of us who either have decreased or sensitive hearing be afforded the same consideration and acceptance? I would have marked the hotel down to three stars with the muzak, had it not been for the high standards of the staff. To those whose names I forgot (I forget all too easily) especially the lovely lady on reception who extended my stay by a couple of hours, thank you.

Hyatt hotels have always been good to me and my late husband, and continue to be so. Keep up the good standards and shut down the muzak!

Room Tip: The atrium can be noisy, but jet lag = no trouble sleeping. There are signs requesting other guests...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Hotel staff was exceptional.They were courteous and prompt and met all our needs. The facility was well located to suit our needs and we were able to walk to restaurants and local attractions. The rooms were well appointed, clean and very confortable. A potential drawback is the construction project going on across H Steet NW. They start work at 7:00. If you are not planning on getting up by 7:00 AM be sure to ask for a room that does not front H St. The value was exceptional; when I made my reservations I accepted a non-refunable rate and got two adjoining rooms for about $340.00 Sunday through Wednesday. The reservationist (located somewhere else) was very helpful. For price, convenience and overall quality I don't think this deal could be beat.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the building. There's a big construction project right across the street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello Michael C,

Thank you for going out of your way to provide feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. I am delighted to hear how much your family enjoyed our recently renovated guestrooms. Our centralized location ensures our guests can enjoy the museums in our downtown area, without needing a car. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to DC!

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Location for this hotel was wonderful. Traveled for work and having a metro stop nearby was an asset. The bed was comfortable and the room spacious. Every staff member I met was very helpful. There was a problem with the a/c in my room and they responded right away. The cafe downstairs next to the Starbucks was a great place to gets a filling reasonably priced breakfast. I would stay here again for work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Keller, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife, 12 year old daughter and I went here for family vacation Mid July 2013. The hotel was beautiful inside and rooms were comfortable and quiet. The staff was really nice and helpful and we enjoyed the hotel. I do have 2 complaints however. 1. The valet was pretty bad. While the staff was nice it is a small area that was constantly packed with Taxi's, cars and people. The wait to get my car was bad. However, I have to give credit to the hotel as they recognized the problem and comp'ed it. 2. The pool in the pictures online is a bit misleading. As it is part of a gym and not really part of the hotel property. It is a short walk to get there, but it is small and no hot tub.

These are two minor complaints and if I had the option I would definitely stay here again.

Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Hyatt brand remains carefully guarded and conserved. A wide open atrium on entry catches your attention, and a large hotel towers around it. Forgettable if not competent restaurant options in the lobby. Clean rooms with modern decoration and a bit of style are comfortable places to sleep and spend a bit of time. The hotel is not far from museums and sight seeing venues, within easy walking distance. The hotel is literally on top of a Metro station far below, so ultra convenient for using this wonderful and easy to use "subway."

Room Tip: Osteria Elisir is an Italian restaurant 3 blocks away, fabulous, fine dining more than red checkered...
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here from a Friday to a Monday with three small children. First of all, this place was beautiful...with water features, shops and restaurants. The hotel staff were always kind and very accommodating, no bad experiences with the service. This hotel was close to most DC attractions and there was a Metro Stop right there in the hotel!!! How convenient! We also paid the extra amount for special access to the Grand Club on the 12th floor and this was probably the best part of our stay and once again offered more convenience. Different times throughout the day they provided snacks, hor'derves, drinks, internet access and an awesome continental breakfast...definitely worth the extra amount, especially since we had our three children with us and I would absolutely recommend this to anyone staying here. One night they even ran out of desserts well before the serving time was over and the front desk offered us free desserts from one of the restaurants in the hotel. Also, one night, the concierge was not available so I went to the front desk for information on area churches and the person there was in training. He tried to help me as best as possible and in the end offered me a complimentary internet code for 24hrs of free internet in our room so that I could do our own research. Thank you! Also, the rooms were small but served the purpose and the linens and towels were high quality and comfortable! There was a family movie one night so that was nice for the kids although we didn't take advantage of it.
Here are some things that kept us from rating this 5 stars:
Our kids love the pool. This hotel boasts over 800 guest rooms and the pool was probably the size of 2-3 of these rooms put together and looked nothing like the picture online. It was dirty. Our kids did not want to go back which was very unusual for them. The website also boasted a "Yoga start". Upon arrival we went to the Fit club to inquire about classes and even though we would be there until Monday, there was not one class available...nothing. Huge disappointment. The pool, as well as access to the fitness equipment and spa were located in this "club" that had unrealistic hours. (They closed at 530 on Sunday night, and I think 800 on Saturday???) I just want to say that we have stayed at much inferior chain hotels and have had access to bigger pools for much extended hours, and they were cleaner too!
I also find it highly annoying that hotels like this only offer internet access in the lobbies. if you want it in your room then you have to pay an extra charge. What is up with that? Again, have stayed at other lesser known chain hotels that offer access in all rooms and as if you hadn't paid enough already for the room?? This just makes me think of one thing. GREED! The night that I went to the front desk with my 4 year old son to ask a question, we were presented with some small talk by one of the doormen. he was nice at first until he blatantly hit on me...and with my son there??? He was from Romania. Didn't catch his name. All I thought was how inappropriate, unprofessional, tacky and what my husband would've done to him if he were there.
All of that aside, it was a wonderful stay. They also lengthened our check out time so that we could hit a nearby museum on our last day and so I am sure that when we come back to the area, we will be staying here. Thank you Hyatt!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt Washington? Share your experiences!