“Great choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #88 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I recently stayed here with a group of 7 and enjoyed this hotel. Our group needed something centrally located, close to the Metro(it's attached to the hotel) and not too expensive. This was a great choice!
We had a 4th floor outside view room close to the elevators. The view isn't much but was helpful to determine weather conditions and what people were wearing, i.e. short sleeves today! It's warm!
The beds were comfortable. The noise level low - maybe a few sirens. The shower water pressure could be better, but we know how that goes these days.
My only complaints would be the dim lighting, lack of outlets near mirrors and no free WiFi. The rooms were dimly lit even with most lights on. We usually had drapes open , but closed them in the evening and when getting ready to go out. There were no outlets near the large mirrors outside the bathroom (3 women were trying to get ready) Most outlets were in odd spots that didn't allow for blow drying , etc. when the bathroom was occupied.,
I did love the outlets and personal reading lights on the headboards. The outlets were perfect for recharging phones, laptops, etc. Lastly, we were disappointed that there was no free wifi. The hotel seemed to attract a large amount of business travelers and the Starbucks in the lobby which has free WiFi was always busy- every seat taken.
That being said, The Metro stop was in the lower level and we took it everywhere! Georgetown, The Capital , Arlington Cemetery, etc . So convenient!
Plus we were able to walk to Chinatown and other locations as it was just a short walk away.
I thought the location was great, the Metro was so convenient we saved taxi fare and the rooms were appointed nicely and comfortable. I would have no hesitation staying at or suggesting this hotel to of those who are traveling in the DC area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Turkish first
Fords, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This place will make you feel special. It is walking distance to China Town and many other things. With the subway connection all in doors, getting to the Mall, or Union Station is a breeze. The rooms were clean and spacious. The lobby was so grand, it made me feel special even in shorts.

Room Tip: There were a few odd people hanging about in the lobby, so watch your back, your purse, and your roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear ChrisDCarlson,

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay with us at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It is great to hear how well our convenient location worked for your travel needs. Being located directly above the metro station allows our guests to visit many of the popular sights of the area. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to the city!

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I decided to book a hotel in Washington that would be in the middle of the action. This hotel worked very well for us. Although you must walk a bit to get to the main areas (China Town, Penn Quarter, and The National Mall area) you are able to access all very easily and quickly. The hotel room was newly renovated which was very nice, nothing crazy. The hotel is very large since it seems to mainly be used for business purposes. We had a city view room which we preferred instead of looking into the atrium. The view wasn't the best but it is nice to have some city action to look at. The room we received actually had a slider which opened slightly which my husband and I really enjoyed. I do not think all rooms had the slider though. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We would return to this hotel because of the location and price we paid. I guess we booked at a good rate because we didn't pay anything near the $400 people are speaking about. I think I agree if you pay $400/per night you may be able to find somewhere nicer.... One last thing they were able to accommodate an early check-in which worked out great for us!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dixiechick09
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is very beautiful and within walking distance of everything. If you don't want to walk the metro is attached to the hotel! Rooms were very nice, beds really comfortable. The staff was super friendly and efficient. Dion at the front desk was very helpful. We also had a great meal at The Cure one night, and Aster, our server, was extremely friendly and helpful. All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you found our location so convenient, both for walking to nearby attractions and also for easy access to the Metro. It is always wonderful to hear that that our staff was helpful and efficient during your stay. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a meal at Cure and also at Aster. We will look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Abrea H - A Guest Relations Associate
Wexford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

My stay was related to a continuing education conference. The metro center station entrance to the hotel was the draw when I initially booked this hotel, but I found that it was just one of the many advantages. The staff was exceptionally helpful, courteous and always smiling. I had some trouble with my travel and arrived late, and it was so welcoming to find such nice people to greet me after my long day. The hotel is a short, pleasant walk to the convention center and the hotel staff will point you in the right direction. Chinatown is just a few blocks away. The room was clean, beautiful and the bed and pillows very comfortable. I will be back when traveling on leisure as well as business.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. I am so happy to hear that you had a memorable experience at our property. It sounds like from the moment you arrived you found the staff to be exceptionally helpful and courteous. We have a great staff that wants to make sure our guests have everything they need during their stay. I am glad you found the location to be perfect and your room to be well appointed. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. I look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Washington in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Lambertville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt, Washington DC, for a conference. I have to say it was lovely. The service was spectacular from the get go. When checking in a line was forming and in an instant, someone came out and assisted everyone while still in line directing them to an agent, or escorting over to the self check ins and walking the guest through the check in terminal. Immediately, a bellhop was right there to get my luggage.

When entering the room, it was nice and cool and in perfect order. The bed was very comfortable, and the linens were pretty decent. I am very particular over linens and I was not dissatisfied - and that says a lot.

I ordered room service on 3 separate occasions. Each time it as delivered within 30 minutes and exactly as ordered.

Of course nothing is perfect. The only complaints I have are trivial. One is the lack of outlets by the desk, and no mirror near the desk so it can double as a vanity to use when someone else is in the bathroom. Another is that there was no door on the little room off the hallway with the ice machine and vending machine. It is unsightly. The last is that you really need to order room service coffee. They do have a single serve pot in the room, but the only milk/cream is the gross powdered kind. It was pretty bad. I tried it the first day, and ordered coffee from room service the subsequent days.

I forgot my receipt for my expense report. I phoned the hotel after I got home and they immediately emailed one to me.

Room Tip: N/A on the spa as I did not use it, but the gym was nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for going out of your way to write this review about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had such an excellent stay and found the service to be so commendable. It’s always great to hear that the room was to your liking, as well as the bed and linens. I will forward your comments regarding the lack of outlets and mirror near the desk to our management so that they can take this into consideration for future renovations. I hope you will join us for your next conference in the DC area.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel is located in the newly gentrified area around the Verizon Center. It is good to see of the new construction and additions to the area. Walking distance to the White House, the Mall, the Capitol, etc. Many good dining options nearby and easy access to Metro through the hotel lobby. Well equipped gym facility. Very helpful staff.

Only blaring downside - very load mechanical unit in the room. For all of the design and work that went into the property, this was a real let down.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple