“Good Not Grand Hyatt” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #88 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Good Not Grand Hyatt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Grand Hyatt in D,C, for a business function. They were in the midst of doing construction on their handicapped rooms...seven days a week! As luck would have it, my room was next to the construction. The workers were as considerate as they could be, but sleeping in was not an option as they began their work pretty early. The hotel staff was friendly and professional and comped my internet connection for my stay. How these large chains get away with charging for internet these days is beyond me, so getting it for free was not an extreme satisfyer.
I would like to recommend to the housekeeping staff that they use their "inside voices'. These hard working women did a nice job on my room, but perhaps they're hard of hearing or were trying to be heard over the construction din because they were yelling to each other in their native tongues in the hallway of the floor I was staying on.
On a positive note, the sports bar in the hotel had a good energy, though the prices were on the high side. The Starbucks in the lobby provided breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc...) in addition to coffee. The Capital City Brewery is right accross the street, which was nice and the hotel has immediate access to the various Metro train lines, however, it is a bit north of The Mall.
This was my first trip to D.C. and I will definitely return to this vibrant and exciting city. I think, though, that I will look at the Trip Advisor reviews to find a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Turkish first
East Moline, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a pretty hotel with a decent location but they were renovating. For our trouble we were given a coupon for a free drink at the bar or a free movie in our room. Didn't have time to use either. I believe they've made the rooms smaller. There were no drawers for clothes but for two small nightstands. Location was acceptable but not wonderful. Always call the hotel and speak to someone to check about the current situation before booking the hotel. Others at the conference stayed at other hotels and had nicer things to say about their accommodations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Auburn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Traveled Friday March 8 - Sunday March 10 and the room price of $119.00 was an exceptional value in my opinion. Renovations under way are NO ISSUE, and the they are doing a great job of minimizing noise and inconvenience. As mentioned by previous reviewers they are offering a choice of free internet, drink etc because of the construction (which they really don't need to do as it is NOT a problem), and they almost seem wanting to give you extras for just about any reason (room assignment, bed type, zodiac sign, you name it).

Staff was excellent from the bell men, valet parking, front desk, housekeeping, restaurants and bars. Well trained and focused on hospitality.

Now for the Twilight Zone pricing issues:

1. Parking - I know that many of you are willing to be sheep and accept the old "it's a big city so bend over and take it mentality" but frankly I refuse to do this and think we as travelers need to keep the heat up to end the muggings. $45 a day to drive a car a block and half, park it, fetch it two days later, and return it covered with as much dust as Eddie Murphy's Porsche Speedster in 48 Hours is unreasonable.

2. The prices at the "Cure" Bar & Bistro. This is the place where you can get the comped drink for the faux inconvenience of the renovations. What you immediately notice is that there are two main types of customers there, the folks that are using up the free drink coupons, and folks that are meeting up with a Match.com date and want to impress their love connection by spending $45 for a cap full of some exotic liquor that nobody can pronounce. Unlike the parking I could care less about over priced drinks in the snooty part of a property, because nobody makes you go there. We spent more time at the sports bar and enjoyed the more normally "over priced" drinks you would expect in Washington or NYC. It will just never stop amusing me however that every time a property thinks they have maxed out how much they can charge someone for silliness, that someone nuttier yet sets a new bar on what they will waste!

Overall the property is really good, and an excellent choice while visiting DC and I would keep it in mind next time in town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just stayed at the Grand Hyatt in DC for two nights to attend a business conference. My room (413) on the 4th floor was newly renovated, clean, and comfortable. While the room was nice and the downtown location would be convenient for sightseeing, the thing I liked most about this hotel was the staff. Without exception ever staff member I met was outstanding. From the person who checked me in to the waiter in the restaurant to the person who cleaned my room to the person who checked me out - everyone smiled continually and handled my stay efficiently. I couldn't be happier with this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Palo Alto, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is doing some needed remodeling to its rooms so this is a bad time to plan a stay. During the day, I heard machine tools drilling into the wall. One morning, I got a note from the hotel saying “Please be aware that the DC Water and Sewer Authority will be conducting routine water supply maintenance tonight [sic] between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. During this time, the water pressure in your guestroom will be turned off.” This made it sound like the City was turning off the water in the neighborhood, but I found out that other rooms, the restaurants and the meeting areas all had water. When I asked an employee in the hallway, he said it was due to the remodeling and called the hotel engineer on his walkie-talkie and told him to turn on the water in the riser to my room (still no water). My water went off around noon and didn’t come back on until after 5pm when I called the front desk and complained. At the beginning of this interval, I had hot water but not cold water. All this seemed inconsistent with the claim that the City was doing routine maintenance on the water supply and called into question the veracity of the hotel management.

In other respects, this hotel did not live up to usual Hyatt standards. The room lights were dim, the towels were old, thin and scratchy, the hair conditioner in the bathtub smelled like stale rubber, the numbers on the alarm clock were so bright at night you could almost read by them. There was no drawer on the desk and the electric outlets for my laptop were underneath where I couldn’t see to plug into them. I had to tip the desk lamp over until it shined underneath the desk so I could see where to plug in. There was no wired network, only wireless for an extra $11.99/day. (It worked well, though.) Room service took a half hour and they charged a $3.50 delivery charge plus 20% service charge plus tax. The breakfast buffet was $22 plus 15% service charge plus tax = $27.50. Noise insulation was insufficient, I easily heard conversations in the hallway as well as the man (yes it was definitely a man) urinating in his bathroom next door during the night.

On the plus side, the room came with a speaker phone and quite a big safe. The heater worked well and the hotel delivered the Wall Street Journal every morning. The in-room coffee was weak but not actually bad as in some hotels these days. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask whether they plan to turn off the water in your room during your stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked this family room via the Internet before we left Australia, for 99US. Was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel. Room was ultra modern, restaurants were fantastic, although we stayed when the redskins were in the playoffs and the bar got a bit rowdy, but that it to be expected. The only downside to the entire place is that there was no jacuzzi. And that was a small issue. They even gave us free Internet and an in hOuse movie. I can't remember why they did that, I think it was because when we booked they were renovating. But the renovations are all over, or at least I didn't see them anyway. On another note, the only reason we went to DC was to watch a NHL game, and the players were on strike. Not happy, but had a great time anyway.

Room Tip: They are all new
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear MVP66:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Grand Hyatt Washington. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Our employees will be recognized for the great customer service provided. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

So where do I start? The positives: the hotel is beautiful upon entry with water ponds and a bright lobby. It is directly connected to the main metro station in DC with trains to all parts of the city. It is within walking distance of all major tourist attractions and many restaurants in the vicinity. My room had a new mattress and was very clean. All rooms seem to look out onto the lobby.
The negatives: The hotel likes to add extra charges for everything. Internet is not free except if you are paying a certain room rate. The water in your mini-fridge is not free. Upon check-out, I had to go over my bill with a very incompetent front desk staffer who had to check about my breakfast charges, even though I was with a group that got free breakfast every morning. When I checked in, I was told by a staffer who told me she was new that because the hotel is under construction, I would be offered one of three things for free for one day: an inroom movie, a drink at the bar, or free internet. I questioned the internet fee but she told me to call the front desk to discuss it with them. As soon as I got to my room, I called the front desk. The next person told me that internet was included in my group charge so I asked if I could have one of the other two things. I didn't want the movie and told her that I don't drink but would like a Coke to drink. She said they would bring it up to my room. After 45 minutes went by, I called again. They asked what room I was in: I'm in 369 but my phone is registering 371. Don't worry, we'll fix your phone and bring up your Coke. The front desk manager, Lauren, brought up three bottles of Coke and assured me that they would stock my refrigerator the whole weekend due to my inconveniences. They would also fix my phone. I needed a wake-up call the next morning early to join my group. Instead of fixing my phone, they sent someone up to bang on my door to wake me up. Then Lauren assured me they would fix the phone that day. When I got back at 5 p.m., the phone was still not fixed. I asked if I should be moved to a new room (something they should have done the first day). Then the banging and saws started during the day due to the construction. I never saw anything in my refrigerator again. Lauren had also given me an upgrade to the Grand Club, a room set beside the restaurant that has snacks and drinks. When I asked at the front desk the next day where it was, that woman told me that I did not have access to it but finally gave me a letter to "allow" me in. When I went downstairs at 6:30 p.m., there was no one even there, and the snacks (peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc) were sitting out unattended where anyone could sneeze on or touch them. There was also hard liquor sitting out for you to make your own drink. I made hot tea and left. I don't know why anyone would pay extra for it.
All in all, most of the management is extremely poor and the front staff is not well trained. Behind all of the glitz is a poor hotel with a few staffers who try to make up for the others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo