“Not so grand” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Washington

You added Grand Hyatt Washington to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Washington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 15%
Ranked #88 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Not so grand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed from 1/13-1/16/13, it was a slow week for D.C., the calm before the storm. We arrived in the evening and the front desk staff promptly greeted us. She was professional but definitely lacked personality. Well, that's ok, no biggie. She offered us a newly renovated room on the 6th floor with the atrium view, a coupon for one free movie or one night of wifi, excellent! Went to my room and I was immediately disappointed. The room had cream and brown walls with one painting on a wall, cream and brown, white duvet on the bed, it screamed blah…definitely lacked personality. No shaving/make up mirror in the bathroom, very small sink counter space, paint drips on shower walls and floor, tub faucet caulking separated from the wall. The coffee maker was dirty, the headboard was dusty, the ambient light in the headboard didn't work, the dresser drawers were dirty. The whole thing communicates, “I don’t care.” The room was very cold so I turned on the heater which only goes to 80 degrees in F, but it only blew cold air and it was so LOUD! It kept me up all night-all 3 nights! But I couldn’t turn it off either because it would get too cold. Motel 6 probably has better system. The walls were thin; I can hear people outside during the night. My 7 year old daughter went to the sink to wash her hands but she scorched her hands because it was burning hot, no cold water at all, only hot water. We tried to watch a movie using the coupon. We picked a movie but the sound quality was very poor and it was snowing so we couldn't see anything. Called the engineer up, he came, couldn't fix it, he tried a different movie-same thing. He was very apologetic and gave us $50 coupon for the breakfast buffet at $25/per person....hum.. there are 3 of us but that's ok, it was a nice gesture nevertheless. We decided to try out the breakfast buffet the next day. We had to pay for our daughter because the $50 coupon obviously doesn't cover the three of us. The food was bland with only few to choose from; even the freshly made omelet was bland! How do you mess up an omelet? Do they not use fresh eggs? What? Something was definitely missing. I wonder if the managers try their food or have they become accustomed? However, our waitress, a Chinese lady was excellent! She stood above the rest. Everyone else sort of stood around, talking to each other never mind the guests are eating, no smiles, just standing around....but this lady was awesome. While she went to get something for us from the kitchen, I went to another wait staff to ask for a hot sauce, the lady just pointed at the hot sauce by the omelet station. Really? Our waitress was very friendly and perky, very attentive, and thoughtful. She brought me freshly made eggs over medium from the kitchen, gave us to-go coffee cup so we could take it with us, and gave our daughter a banana to eat later. We ended up spending about $30 out of pocket but I hated to spend it because the food quality was so bad. I am sure we could have done better at IHOP! I had to go to go the front desk to make all the adjustments for the movies and food at check-out. I took the time to write down the items they needed to repair and clean on a piece of paper, such as adjusting the sink hot/cold water, caulking around the tub faucet which would save them from water damage and gave it to the front desk lady. However, I am not so sure if she would actually give it to a manager....somehow I doubt it because she sort of glanced at it and put it aside, hum.. The parking is $45 which is the going rate there but don't get me get started on the valet staff. They were slooooowww, inattentive, and unfriendly. My husband actually waited around for the valet the first evening we checked in but after about 5 minutes, he gave up so we didn’t even get a valet ticket. The doorman took our luggage and assured us that he would give the keys to the valet. Overall, my experience with Hyatt was less than desirable. The only thing we enjoyed paying was the tip to the waitress at buffet. No one else deserved their tip. Would I stay there again, in a word-no. There are too many hotels in D.C. who wants my business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Turkish first
Hilo, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel is currently under renovation and so I was able to book the hotel for an astounding $99 per nite. My room was was on the Club level floor. True this floor has yet to be renovated but, for being the Club Floor, it was truly disappointing. Room was old and definitely sub-Hyatt standards. Though the rate was excellent, it comes with it's own problems. I felt like I was staying at a hotel next to Disneyland. Hotel guests were budget travelers, students and families. Went to the Sports Bar on premises and promptly left because the atmosphere was more like that of a Chuck E. Cheese's. Location is good. About 6 blocks from the Capital. Many great watering holes nearby, Clyde's at the Verizon Center and Capital City Micro-brewery, to name a few. Though extremely small (1 block), China Town is really close. Because of the rate, I gave the hotel 3 stars. Front desk staff were friendly but over-worked. Concierge desk was unmanned during my 3 day stay. Housekeepers were excellent! Would I stay again, no, not until the renovations are completed. Don't mind paying a higher rate for a higher quality hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here for New Year's Eve. It's a very nice hotel, make sure u get a atrium room so you can look down at the lobby. There's a few restaurants in the hotel. Order a strawberry lemon drop from the sports bar grand slam!

• Stayed December 2012
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your New Year's celebration. It's great to hear your holiday was wonderful. We hope to hear from you again.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is under construction, but it is juist great! Lovely location, great ambience, you have the metro statuon under, and China town is just steps away, 10 mins walking to white house, and washington memorial, and about 20 to all museums. Ohh if you have a car, there is a self parking on the side that belongs to the hotel that is like 30 per night, the valet is 50. Its a great hotel!!!!! Lovely lobby!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear xsweeteileenx:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We understand that with the metro directly beneath our hotel, it's very easy for guests to get to the attractions in the local area. We're delighted you were able to take advantage of this. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had the Grand Club level room, and at the time they were doing renovations (although I was not bothered by this). The club level was not open, but they did accomodate us accordingly. We were allowed to eat in different restaurants within the hotel in place of the club level. We enjoyed our stay and the ammenities were great. The workout area was large, and had all the essentials. The pool was small, but was a perfect addition to the long days outside in the cold.
The room, was clean...but very small. I did see larger rooms as I walked by, but I gather due to our two double beds it didn't help on space.
Location can't be beat....and was perfect for Ford's Theater and Smithsonian.
We had two complaints: we did wait at the desk to check in, although I did do the fast check online. There is not a laundry facility on site...so we used another hotel's facilities. That should change, and would help families greatly!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Washington. I’m pleased that we were able to make for an exceptional stay. It sounds like you really enjoyed the different dining options and the pool. I’m glad that our location was ideal for your travel. I will share your feedback regarding check in and laundry service with our management team. Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Washington. I hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel was nice, but the beds were not as comfy as i'd expected and there was disgusting gunk on vent in bathroom shower. It's also not the best when four are booked into a room and there's only three towels. no extra cups or glasses either. better value at Washington Renisance Hotel a few blocks over.

Chadds Ford, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It looks like 4 dots is the consensus. Mine is based on my excellent room and the friendly, efficient, helpful staff I encountered balanced against the dated, uncomfortable and oppressive public spaces.
First, the room. It was great, newly renovated, small but logically designed, perfectly clean, super quiet, wonderful bed. Really cheap, at least on a Friday night. Not perfect: a renovation is the time to add thoughtful touches like bathroom night lights and makeup mirrors but these were overlooked. Also, no free wi-fi, though I suspect that, as happened to us, all moderately courteous guests are offered free wi-fi at check-in to make them feel loved. Parking is very expensive, but nearby garages have similar rates so I guess that's just DC. Five dots for all that.
But ugh, that grandiose Reagan-era brass and glass atrium. I guess no renovation could remove it, but I'm sure a talented designer could make it feel less cold. I would start with a space where guests could gather or relax without being in a cafe or restaurant. Some chairs and sofas arranged in a conversational group, how hard is that? Instead, the lobby offers two choices: you can go into a restaurant (Starbucks, breakfast buffet or fancy dining),or stand around wondering when management will get the news about fake topiary.But probably this is on purpose; guests sitting comfortably in the lobby aren't up in their rooms raiding the mini-bar and renting movies. Three dots, and I feel I'm being generous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family