“Perfect hotel for short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of George Washington University Inn

Save Saved
You added George Washington University Inn to your Saves list
George Washington University Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   824 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #39 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Perfect hotel for short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My family and I we travelling from New York to Florida on a road trip so we had only the afternoon and evening in DC. The hotel was easy to find and the location is great, just five minutes from the Metro and about four stops to the museum area. We had two rooms, one for my wife and me and one for my three daughters. Different floors but not a problem. The hotel was really nice, rooms very comfortable and quiet, it was great to get a good night's sleep after four nights in NYC! Beds were very comfortable. Along the road on I street were a good choice of restaurants - family was delighted to find a TGI Friday's! One problem is that parking is limited so we paid $40 for valet parking. I was bewildered to find that the hotel would not give me a receipt for my stay or even tell me what the charges were - I had made a booking through another website, not direct through GWUI and was told that they could not therefore give me any figures which I found staggering and have not had this problem before. I'm sure there won't be a problem but if there is a discrepancy when the credit card bill comes through I have no comeback. Didn't argue as we needed to get on the road but I think this needs to be looked into. This took away from what was otherwise a great hotel and to be recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wil L, Hotel Manager at George Washington University Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Greetings Steve F,

We are all very happy you had such a wonderful stay with us. Being tucked away in Historic Foggy Bottom coupled with our super comfortable beds pretty much guarantees a quiet night sleep. I apologize for the confusion with regards to your bill. Unfortunately, when one books a prepaid reservation through a third party, hotels are unable to give you a bill for room and tax since they were not the ones that charged you for it. I suggest you reach out to the third party with whom you booked the reservation with, and I’m sure they will be able to take care of you. I’m sorry for the confusion and hope this does not deter you from returning to us. In the future, please contact us directly for a reservation, and we will be more than happy to reserve a room for you at the lowest possible rate, guaranteed.

Wil Laura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The hotel is located in a calm area, near the GW university and student houses. It is possible to take breakfast or eat at the hotel but we didn't choose this solution as there are plenty of other solutions nearby (dunkin donuts, starbucks, whole foods market, 7/11, etc). a block or two away from the subway station and walkable distance from the mall.

The front desk was friendly and provided the necessary information, maps, etc. The room was spacious with 2 medium beds, tv, airco, fridge, safe and a small sofa. The bathroom was a bit old but functionnal. The style is a bit oldy but comfortable and very clean. The view from the window didn't show much of the city. They also offer their own shuttle solution to airports.

The negative point was that our window didn't lock correctly and the wind provoked some noise while passing through. The access cards got de-activated once a day, while kept away from mobiles etc. A bit annoying when the front desk is facing an arrival of 3 couples and if you are in a rush.

Beside that, i would recommend it and come again !

Hello Loulou_be,

Thank you for the review. I am happy you found our guest service team friendly and informative. While are rooms are not the newest out there, we feel they provide a very comfortable experience which we ensure are kept as clean as possible. I am sorry to hear about your window and with the issues you experience with you key cards, I an completely see how annoying that could have been. I’m sorry and I am thrilled you would recommend and come again, please do so, we love seeing past guest return to our home.

Smithfield, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel. Our room had a king in a separate room and sofa bed, kitchen with small stove, fridge and a nice set of dishes/bowls/cups. As noted in other reviews the room was very large, easy to get to from the lobby elevator and decorated quite nicely. The beds were exceptional and the room was very clean and taken care of each day without complaint. Sure there are a few cosmetic issues as noted in other reviews but it was easily overlooked by the great service. The staff at this hotel are exceptional from the front desk to the smiling gentleman at the door that will simply make your day wonderful as you come and go. The foggy bottom metro is an easy five minute walk away through a very safe and well lit neighborhood (walked it both early morning and late at night without issue). There is a whole foods grocery store (best food is located in the lower level) that provided us with food for the week stored in the fridge and 1/2 a block a way is a 7-11 that also has very good breakfast sandwiches and some fruit which was very handy as well. Location is fantastic for this hotel, as foggy bottom metro on the blue line gives you a 10 min trip to nearly every National Mall site around. The Kennedy center can be seen from the hotel and we were able to walk to a play in 3-5 minutes and then back home again afterwards without concern for safety. There is a shuttle from the metro but its unnecessary as the walk is quite easy. The hotel is located on a very picturesque street with many row houses that are picture worthy. George Washington University is within one block and so there are a lot of students, staff and other people around all hours of the day but it wasn't crowded or bothersome, rather it made for a great chance to interact with some amazing people. I expected to see a lot more people on the streets asking for money and worried about this as DC has a reputation for some pretty aggressive panhandlers but this area was nearly void of this in fact I'm not sure I saw anyone asking for money and felt completely safe day and night. This hotel was a perfect place to call home for a DC trip and we left feeling like we not only were treated like royalty by the amazing staff (they deserve 6 stars) but felt that our money was definitely well spent. Without hesitation I would stay at this place again and again when back in the DC area.

Room Tip: I would stay in a larger room if possible for an extended stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello BrotherBoggs from Utah!

What a great informative review! Thank you so much for taking the time with all the details. I am overjoyed you found our service exceptional throughout your stay. We strive to provide the very best in service and are thrilled we succeeded. I am also happy you found our location perfect for you needs. Foggy Bottom is truly an amazing quiet little area hidden in our Nation’s Capital. We can’t wait for your next trip to Washington DC so that we might surprise and delight you once again.

Sevenoaks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

So the positives are that the staff are friendly and the rooms are massive. The bed is as big as our room was in New York!
Unfortunately a few things made me unable to rate this higher than average. We got a persistent 5am wake-up call that wasn't meant for us. The room wasn't made up when we got to it (they had said it was). And breakfast is not included. I can never give 5/5 when you pay so much and get no breakfast. All minor details that don't bother me much but can't give more than 3 on that basis.

Stayed July 2014
Wil L, Hotel Manager at George Washington University Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Greetings Bridger79,

I am very sorry for the early wakeup call and the room incident. Unfortunately, mistakes do happen, but we take full responsibility for not confirming the guest name when one of our guest requested a 5 a.m wake up call for your room. I completely understand how frustrating it is being woken up at 5 a.m when one is on vacation. We will use this as a training tool to ensure this does not happen in the future. I truly hope this incident, as well as the room not being made up on time, does not deter you from returning to us or recommending us. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience; I would like the opportunity to make your next stay a flawless one.

202.625.0020
wlaura@modushotelsdc.com
Verona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Very comfortable, clean room near several restaurants. Mattress is exceptionally comfortable. Friendly helpful staff. Workout room is ample. Iced lemon water is available in lobby. Ideal Foggy Bottom location.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello ITrip8,

Thank you for the review. I am very happy you found our location ideal, our staff helpful, and our pillow top mattress comfortable. Please visit us again the next time you are in the city, and make sure to mention your prior visit to receive a discounted rate.

Kindest Regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Rooms are a little old but comfortable. Reasonable price. Staffs are friendly , and always helpful. need to up grade bathroom facilities. Free High Speed internet and kitchen are bonus for people like me who have to stay longer period and not afford expensive restaurants. Closed to metro, Potomac river front. Great Stay. I stay two weeks to attend summer program at GWU.
Best place for who have to attend some events at GWU. It closes to all GWU faculties.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello THY567!

I am delighted you chose the GWU Inn as your home away from home for two weeks. While our rooms are not brand new we, like you, feel they are very comfortable and perfect for a long term stay, especially our rooms with fully equipped kitchens. I am thrilled you were able to enjoy our location and found the staff friendly and always helpful. Please visit us again and we’ll make sure not to disappoint.

North Beach, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the restaurant is amazing and is so close to many attractions. The bedrooms are quiet and comfortable and the rooms are all big with kitchens and living areas which are reallly an added bonus. The only thing that needs to change are the towels! Why do the towels look like they came from someone's bathroom? Highly recommend this hotel, thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: The view is amazing from 803, you can see for miles!
Greetings Hurricane74,

Thank you so much for returning to us and leaving a wonderful review. I am excited you found Notti Bianche amazing. It’s one of those restaurants that you know you’re going to have a wonderful meal anytime of the day. Sorry you were not very happy with our towels. Please reach out to me directly the next time you plan on returning to us. I’ll make sure to place special towels in your room just for you on top of offering you the best possible rate.

wlaura@modushotelsdc.com
202.625.0020

Been to George Washington University Inn? Share your experiences!