“It used to be a nice place - not any more...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C.

You added Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C. to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C.
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1250 22nd Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
From $109 with Breakfast!
Ranked #62 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“It used to be a nice place - not any more...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Over the course of the last 11 years, when I travel to DC, I would try to stay at the Embassy Suites hotel on 22nd NW. Never again...

Arriving last night before 9pm, I was informed that the parking garage was full, and I would have to park a block and a half away at the Ritz-Carlton. This has happened before, and I'm glad it wasn't raining. If I would have known prior that there would be no parking, I would have booked elsewhere.

They gave me a room I didn't ask for or reserve, a corner suite on the 2nd floor with a 12-chair boardroom table - no couches or anywhere else to relax than the bed. When I complained, they told me they were sold out and there were no other rooms available. OK. I looked around the room, and it was filthy - the bathroom floor was dirty, the furniture was all worn out and damaged, the clock radio was broken, and the remote didn't work. I reminded myself that I was fortunate to have a comfortable bed on which to lay my head, when others are homeless.

When I went for breakfast this morning, I walked down the stairs in the atrium from the 2nd floor to the breakfast area - and was aghast at what I saw. It was nothing short of spectacularly FILTHY. Carpets, tile floors, the stone steps - it was disgusting. The guy cooking eggs in the 'made-to-order' line couldn't make an omelette to save his life, and was burning everyone else's eggs, but undercooked mine. He was miffed when I asked him to cook them some more. Excuse me?

Upon check-out, I expressed my dismay to the front desk people, and let them know that after many years of staying there and spending thousands of dollars at their establishment, I will never return. There are too many other hotels whose proprietors actually care about the cleanliness of their establishment and provide exemplary customer service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Larry_Feeback, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for returning to stay with us, and I am sorry we let you down on this visit. I have shared your comments with my management team for a review of our process and corrective actions. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience and ask that you contact me directly at larry.feeback@hilton.com. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Philadelphia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We chose this hotel because of its location, price and complimentary breakfast. We were doing some college tours in the area and were happy we chose this location. The room price was competitive with other comparable hotels, the front desk service was great, they recommended a nice restaurant for us to try for dinner. The only down side was that it was spring break for a lot of family's which means a lot of kids and parents who don't watch there kids. After a long day of college touring and we were tired and there were a lot of young children RUNNING unsupervised on our floor--very dangerous. But what are you going to do, right? It didn't keep us from falling asleep, but it was annoying. I didn't feel the hotel was at fault for it, parents should watch their children.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Larry_Feeback, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We host many families in town for college visits and I am pleased that you felt great value for our product and service delivery. It is my hope that you come back and visit us on your next trip to the area.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Came with younger teenager for his spring break. Great to have 2 large rooms, very clean, nice to have fridge, microwave, extra sink, coffee maker, dining room table. Staff is super nice, particularly given how the place was crammed with families on holiday. On site restaurant a good quality Italian place. Location is 4-5 blocks away from Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom Metro lines, easy to get to the main sightseeing attractions, nice neighborhoods dotted with a variety of eating establishments. Drugstore and Starbucks just around the block. Oh, and Whole Foods is right next to the Foggy Bottom subway entrance, a handy and healthy place to get supplies.

Main minus: $12.95 per 24 hours, per device, for wireless Internet access. On the other hand, these days, many of us travel with our own uplink. Just about every hotel in DC charges for parking these days.

Heads up: if you're here during a busy family travel season, little kids run around, make noise, sometimes knock on the wrong door, but it's terrific for family travelers, all parents will understand (been there, done that). Wonderful to have a pool, but little kids do drip water in the elevator, etc. Breakfast is very handy, the evening social drinks & snack time is a welcome respite at the end of a long tourist day. Take heart: it can be noisy given the waterfall-filled atrium, but kids crash abruptly around 10 p.m. A definite recommend for travelers with children!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed dining in Trattoria Nicola's - where our pasta is made fresh onsite. Spring Break is certainly one of our busiest family periods, and our team looks forward to seeing many of our returning friends each year. Please come back and visit us soon!
Shelton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband, son and I spent Easter here. Had a two room suite that was in very nice shape, clean, with amenities like candy and water left for us, a terry robe to use during our stay, etc. There is a full buffet breakfast every morning with a chef making omelets to your order. There are free USA Today and Wall Street Journal newspapers. And every evening they have an open bar where each person can get two drinks (regular drinks, not just wine or beer). They also have cheese, crackers, veggies and dip, and chips and salsa available while you have your drink. From the outside it doesn't look like much, but inside is special. A soaring central courtyard/atrium that goes up the full 9 stories, with a glass skylight roof. Each room has a window into the courtyard area, and a window out to the street or city. Lots of plants, waterfalls, and a koi pond. The elevators are external glass ones to give you a great view as you go up in the inner courtyard. The staff from the front desk, to the concierge, to the food service people to our cleaning staff were all smiling, helpful and attentive. My 20 yr old son, who is hard to impress, admitted that it was an impressive hotel. They do charge for parking, but I did extensive research on decent hotels in DC and almost every single one charges between $30 and 40 for parking. It isn't just them.

Room Tip: Try the higher floors for the great view down overlooking the inner courtyard/atrium. You are also...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to highlight the cleanliness and staff responsiveness. I am pleased that your experience exceeded expectations and hope that you will visit us again on your next visit to the area.
orange, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

please don't consider this hotel to overpriced for the service and accommodation you receive the room was dirty, they charge you for everything, the price of booking and the price that they charge on the credit card is different. they claim a free breakfast and they do charge it to you extra

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that your experience did not meet expectations, and also would like to understand the billing discrepancy cited. Please reach out to me directly at larry.feeback@hilton.com if you would like to discuss. Thank you.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was the last stop on a four week family trip to the USA.
The rooms were spacious and clean -
Was a good location for various DC attractions and easy access to the train.
A beautiful walk to the zoo if you are feeling inclined - through lovely residential streets.
Loved the breakfast and the happy hour! Loved the atrium area - just a really nice setting.
Staff were helpful
Would definitely recommend this hotel for visit to DC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you found our location to be convenient and good value in our amenity offerings. Our team has great passion for what they do and I am pleased they exceeded your service expectations. I hope we may serve you again on your next visit to DC.
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I'd like to start off by saying that the staff here was very nice. Everyone from front desk to the housekeeping staff was really friendly and helpful. We made an effort to tip our housekeeper well, she deserved it.
Unfortunately, we were disappointed by the rest of our experience. The rooms were run-down and the furniture was uncomfortable. The bedspreads were made of polyester. (You've been warned!) There was dried blood on the sheets of our bed! Awful. The fluorescent lights in the bathrooms were enough to ruin anyones self esteem permanently.
The pool is tiny, chlorinated, pee filled mess. It's TINY and filled with children. That's the reason it's so warm. Our kids had to get out after 10 minutes because their eyes were so painful from the chlorine. Did I mention the pool was tiny?
We were looking forward to the "free" breakfast buffet and cocktail hours. Unfortunately we were unable to get breakfast there because the lines to get food were over 25 minutes long. And there was no place to sit, it was so crowded. Same for cocktail hour, where people lined up and waited a half an hour to get industrial salsa and chips. The hotel clearly knew there would be crowds but didn't accommodate for them. A total disaster. We'll never stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a bedspread that isn't made from polyester.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and sharing the kind words about the staff. I am sorry that we let you down and have shared your comments with my management team for a review of our process. I would like to discuss your experience and if you will email me directly at larry.feeback@hilton.com I would like to contact you at your convenience. Thank you.

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C.

Address: 1250 22nd Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20037
#49 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#53 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#72 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C. 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, BookIt.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Washington Dc
Washington Dc Embassy Suites

If you own or manage Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.