“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavilion

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavilion to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavilion
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4300 Military Rd. NW, Washington DC, DC 20015 (Upper Northwest)   |
Special Offer
DC Explorer Package $179
Ranked #24 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband, myself and our 2 teenage sons just spent the weekend here and were extremely pleased. Yes, there is some construction going on but it really did not impact our stay at all. We were impressed by the professionalism of all of the staff we encountered. They were so wonderful to deal with. The rooms were very comfortable and breakfast/evening reception are always welcome additions to an Embassy Suites stay. The 9th floor pool, hot tub and fitness center were great. The location of the hotel is perfect for visiting D.C. but also fabulous for local shopping, movies and restaurants. The metro is just across the street and you can be in the heart of D.C. in minutes yet if you take a quick walk up the street you can enjoy strolling through charming, quiet neighborhoods. We had a great stay and will certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jbrainard, General Manager at Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavilion, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear CEGibson59,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and positive review of our property and your experience with us. I also want to thank you for your patience as I know that the past couple of weekends were the culmintation of several pieces of the construction project to ensure completion next week.

Our team has worked hard for several months to create a positive experience for guests despite the work that is on-going in the Pavilion atrium. I am very pleased to know that in your case, we made a difference and were able to play a part in an overall positive stay at our property.

We hope to have you back with us in the future now that contruction is over (November 19) and you will be also able to experience Range and Civil once they open fully in December. Thank you again for your wonderful comments and review.

Jeff Brainard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Wayne, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yes therer was construction but hotels cannot be renovated/updated without construction and there is no GOOD time to do it. Hotels run 24 hours a day. Not to mention the hotel is in Washington, DC. If you want a hotel for rest and relaxation, go to the Bahamas. It was closed off as much as possible and other than the noise during breakfast, we were there to sight see, not hang out at the hotel.

The Staff was courteous and friendly. There was complimentary drinks and snacks from 5:30-7:30pm nightly. Breakfast for everyone was free as well. It was a hot breakfast with made to order omelets, pancakes, eggs, and the rest of the normal stuff. Absolutely not what you would expect for free. Normally free breakfasts are continental style, bread, cereal, fruit and drinks.

The room was spotless. The linens were updated, bathrooms were very clean, and having a mini kitchen was a huge help having traveled with 2 kids, 10 and 13. We were able to keep drinks in the refrigerator, snacks, microwave for popcorn we brought and the living room pull out couch for them made our stay enjoyable as we were not cramped in one room. They watched TV and we watched our own in the bedroom.

The Cheesecake Factory was in the Hotel and great for dinner. It was literally on the outskirts of the city with a beautiful residental area to the west and stores, restaurants, etc to the East. The Metro was directly across the street and was soooo convenient to go see the sights. It was a safe, family friendly part of town. No worries walking around whatsoever.

I cannot say enough about this hotel. I have stayed at many hotels and this would definitely be one that I return to for any future trips to DC. Why look anywhere else!!! We paid $161/night with AAA plus tax. Parking was $24/night with unlimited in/out access. I just hope prices/service stay the same after the renovation is complete because I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth H -

Thank you for your great comments and review. I also want to thank you for your understanding as the Pavilion worked to compelte teh construction project in the atrium that certainly impacted your stay with us.

Finally, I want to thank you for your kind comments about the team and their delivery of services whether in person or in their servicing of your suite. Your comments are shared and make a difference and we all appreciate the kind words and review.

We hope to have you back as we complete construction next week with the opening of Range and Civil scheduled for early\mid-December - there will certainly be more to experience and do within the Pavilion and area. Thank you again Elizabeth H.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Hotel staff tried very hard to be accommodating, but the construction ( jackhammers) starts at 8 am and went past 11 PM. The smell of paint and adhesive would be dangerous to anyone chemically sensitive. The lobby floor is slippery, I saw people almost fall. The staff tries to make it up with free cocktail hour and full breakfast, but what you really want is something pleasant and quiet. There was no warning on the website when I booked, but now it is there. Saying there is contruction is a severe understatement. Almost no security...anyone can slip in...dangerous for Washington. Maybe when this gets finished it will be nice...but call the hotel and make sure it is over.

Also, I got two hang up calls very early in the morning for no apparent reason.

Room Tip: Make sure, absolutely sure all the construction is over. Do not book on the 3rd floor ( food area...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Macrojane,

Thank you very much for your review and comments. First I want to apologize for the overall experience you had at our hotel. While I appreciate the positive comments on our team please know that we have shared your review - as well as other comments received - on the noise that exceeded the work window provided to us as well as the finishing methods used for the new flooring in the atrium.

Based on yours and other guest comments, the Pavilion did respond and adjust the finishing work for the remaining areas of the Pavilion to ensure that the floors and all areas were completed safely. While this does not change your experience, I believe it is important to note that we do vigorously address concerns with the Pavilion, especially in matters of guest\visitor safety, whenever they are received.

The construction will be completed on November 19 with the restaurant and lounge opening in the atrium in early December. While we were not able to make your stay with us what it should have been in November, I hope that you will again give our team the opportunity to truly make a difference and visit us in the future to experience the end result of all of the work.

Macrojane thank you for sharing your comments and experience and we hope to have you back with us in the future for a more complete and comfortable stay.

Sebastopol, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My kids love this hotel. It's spacious, very private, and it's a suite, so a family of 4 has plenty of room. We all love the free breakfast, the pool, the appetizers at tea time and the board games. The location is terrific. We were here for a multi-generation family reunion and got rooms on the same floor. Very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Presque Isle, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There is a major renovation going on in the mall area adjacent to the hotel, which does add some congestion and confusion to getting around to the restaurants and shops attached to this hotel. At times there is construction noise in the public areas of the hotel, but we never noticed it in our room, which was excellent. We especially liked the convenience to the subway, with an entrance right from our hotel. There are also numerous restaurants and stores within 2 blocks of the hotel, and the area was very safe at night. My only complaint about the hotel was the check-in process. There is a very small access lane to the hotel on Military, so we waited nearly 10 minutes for a space to pull into to unload. There was no one at the entrance to help unload, and for 3 senior women, that was a real inconvenience. Once we got into the hotel, we had to take an escalator to the second floor to reach the reception desk, and there was no one to help with our bags, once we checked in. After check-in, we parked in the adjacent underground lot and never needed our car for the remainder of our stay. The excellent hot breakfast and the nightly two-hour complimentary cocktail reception, (with snacks), more that made up for the initial poor check-in experience. We would certainly stay in this hotel next time we are in Washington.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Yes construction is still under way which is a little annoying, but the good things about the staff and location of this hotel outweigh any annoyance from construction. The staff were very accommodating breakfast was closed but staff gave us coffee some fruit and cream cheese and bagels...we were very appreciative especially since we arrived very late the night before. The hotel is located across the street from the Metro, very convenient and at night when we went to Georgetown to have dinner at Moby Dick's and tried to buy their awesome georgetown cupcakes going down Wisconsin was very easy to get to via taxi at a great rate less than $15 for five people wait for a van. And lastly manager on call on Saturday night 10/27/12 waived fee to change the leave date due to hurricane Sandy he called and had a taxi for us and gave us some muffins for our trip. Awesome customer service... We will definitely stay there again!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ojoscafes,

Thank you very much for your review and comments. I am happy to know that our team was able to assist you during your stay as well as assist in ensuring you were able to leave prior to Sandy's visit to DC. I also want to thank you for your understanding and patience during your time with us as the Pavilion work continued.

I have shared your comments with our team so that they can see the impact made when they connect with our guests and do what they can to make a difference. Thank you very much for your review and we hope to have you back as our guest very soon!

Statesville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I would probably rate this hotel a 3.5 if I could. It has lots of negatives (though I think most of them will be temporary) and some really potential positives.

Believe everything you read about the construction in progress. I can tell you, having checked out this morning, that it is not close to being finished. I knew about the construction before going, but I really didn't expect it to be that bad. The problem was not the noise (it is noisy), the smell, the dust, or any of that. The problem is access to the hotel. If you are coming in from the Metro (and I expect most guests are) there is one small, overwhelmed elevator to get up to the hotel. The front desk told me there were no other options (the stairs are in the off-limits construction zone) to get to the Metro.

My only other issues were two. One was that I am accustomed to having a few bottled waters in the room, but was told at the front desk that my HHonors status was not high enough (strange, since it was high enough last weekend in Nashville, and a few months ago in Georgia.) The lady at the front desk told me they would "make an exception" and send up some bottled water, but it never arrived. OK, I'll buy some water, but don't make a big deal about my status (I'm lucky enough to only have to travel for leisure) and then never send what you promised. The other issue was the reception...the snacks were strange and sparse... Chips with no dip, tortilla chips with no salsa, etc. It looked like they just popped into the store and bought a few bags of whatever was on sale. One final minor thing that didn't matter to me, but might to some, is that there is a lot of street noise starting very early because this hotel in right at a busy intersection and also beside the Metro bus stop associated with the rail station.

Now for the good. Breakfast was very nice, and the omelett chef was very efficient and skilled. The room was very nice and also quite clean. The location was very convenient for touring DC since the Metro station is accessible from inside the hotel (or at least will be much more so when construction is finished.) Almost all ES charge for Internet...don't know why, but I just set up my phone as a hotspot to avoid the charges. CVS is right near the hotel lobby (again down that dreaded slow, solo elevator. That has to serve both the hotel and CC Pavilion shops) and Cheesecake Factory is just outside the hotel on the lobby level.

I would heartily recommend this hotel once you can be assured that construction is finished. Avoid it until then because there are too many other good choices on the Metro line (ES in Alexandria being one example that I have personally tried.)

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavilion? Share your experiences!