“Very nice, comfortable stay in the heart of DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Embassy Row Hotel

You added The Embassy Row Hotel to your Saves list
The Embassy Row Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2015 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Formerly Hilton Washington Embassy Row) (Dupont Circle)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 30% Off
Ranked #108 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
USA
“Very nice, comfortable stay in the heart of DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was visiting DC for the weekend after having spent nearly two weeks outside of the country on business. Upon arriving, I found the staff to be TREMENDOUSLY courteous and helpful in getting me situated. Unfortunately, the first room into which I was placed suffered from some mechanical malfunction (the heater system was not working properly). The hotel manager promptly relocated me to a different room, and ALL went well from there!

The hotel is conveniently located around the corner (3 min walk) from the Metro and some pretty amazing places to dine. Oh! And the bed in my room was FANTASTIC! I almost didn't want to leave! I found the continental breakfast to be a bit sparse, but sufficient...hard boiled eggs, milk, fruit, cold cereals, muffins, croissants, juice, and toast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Shawn J, General Manager at The Embassy Row Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Thurman,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It brings me great pleasure to hear that our hotel was your hospitality haven, upon returning to the U.S. I hope you'll stay with us again in the future - whether for business or leisure.

Shawn Jervis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Chesley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

booked on priceline for four nights at a good rate by bidding. still cant understand people who pay ahead and complain about losing non refundable deposit

first the good. staff always have been courteous and friendly and helpful.
room- two doubles were comfy and a good sized room for modern times. the hotel has some wear and tear but kept very clean
LOCATION!!!! a hop to metro, not a bad walk to white house or kennedy center. restaurants galore and a very safe neighbourhood!

ho hum breakfast comfort inn style i thought they had yogurt before but not now. coffee is good though

YES PARKING IS DEAR BUT THIS IS A MAJOR CITY AND NOT MUCH DIFFERENT FROM CHICAGO, NEW YORK OR TORONTO. WE HAVE BEEN TO HOTELS WHERE THERE IS NO PARKING AND THE CAR DISAPPEARS.

OVERALL A GOOD HOTEL, WE WOULD RETURN

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Drillerkc74,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It brings me pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay. I hope you and your partner will return and stay with us again.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My daughter and I spent a night here to meet an early appointment at the Australian Embassy. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the room was pleasant and the bed (although I we shared it) was comfy. No complaints about the shower - BEST SHOWER EVER and endless hot water. Quality bathroom products, however I'll never understand the importance of a shoe horn! Free Wi-Fi ... always a plus. Free Continental breakfast. Hmm. That was much to be desired. A few random pastries, which didn't look all that appetizing, juice and coffee which, by the way, was amazing. We skipped breakfast and loaded up on that amazing coffee!

The hotel is walking distance to every Embassy you can think of, if that's what you're there for, but you can also walk to just about everything else you want to see/eat/drink/do in that part of D.C. If you're not a walker, you can rent-a-bike.

Bryan, the doorman, he's a legend. Amazingly friendly, knew everything from the time to the 10-day weather forecast and local sights. Nice bloke. Now, here's where it starts going downhill ... $45 +tax, per night, for valet parking. Daylight robbery. There's no street parking so you have zero choice but to fork over the cash. I felt violated. For $51.60, I thought I might get it washed, waxed, vacuumed and detailed but no such luck. Oh, and there's a vehicle height restriction so if you've got an oversized Hummer or something, yeah ... good luck with that. Lucky my Chevy Silverado made the cut!

All in all, this is a decent hotel and I'll definitely go back. I'd originally booked two nights but we only stayed one. Since I didn't book directly through the hotel but one of those "book a hotel online" sites, I didn't get my second night refunded. (That was the site's policy) Although it was WAY cheaper to book through a third party than the hotel itself, the non-refundable second night might be enough to make some people not return. Either way, I felt somewhat violated again!!

Dear Bindilouwho,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I'm happy to hear the hotel was perfect for the your daughter's visit to the Australian Embassy. Thank you for recognizing our concierge, Bryan. I've shared the review with him and he's ecstatic. I regret to hear that the third-party website did not refund for the second night. I hope you will stay with us again.

Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We came to DC for a 3 day conference at the Convention Center and was looking for a less expensive hotel. We found it here but was a bit concerned by reading some of the other reviews. When we arrived, we were very pleased with our room 814 - rear view. The room was clean as was the bathroom (very important) and while it was not a fancy room, it was perfect for what we needed - a TV and a good night sleep. Only complaint was window was a bit drafty which just meant we needed to turn up the heat a bit. Hotel has free wifi and breakfast which was a plus. We had heard negative comments about the breakfast but the cold cereal/juice we had was great. It is located 1 block from the metro so getting around town is very easy. I believe they plan to renovate in 2015 - hope the prices don't shoot up because I'm coming back next March and would definitely stay here again. Great value!!

Room Tip: Front view may be prettier but I believe more expensive. Choose the rear view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Shawn J, General Manager at The Embassy Row Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Howard,

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful experience at The Embassy Row Hotel. I hope you'll join us again - whether it's for business or leisure. Please let us know when you'll be back again.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and friendliness. Superb location and amazingly helpful staff. Would definitely stay here again. And, it's undergoing a major renovation so it will be better in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Shawn J, General Manager at The Embassy Row Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi Penny,

I appreciate your TripAdvisor review. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when you'll be back in town. We would love to host you again.

Wijchen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed for four days. First day I went for breakfast I couldn't believe my eyes: cheap bread, old pastries, no fruits (except for bananas), no cheese, no sliced meat, no yoghurt. We booked this hotel and read that breakfast was complimentary. We now understood why. So we asked if we could order some other breakfast and pay for it. No kitchen service, this is it, sorry.

We had a room with nice view over the city. Beds are fine, Shower works, but a little more waterpressure would be nice. Complementary Internet in my room was fine. The working space looks nice but the chair is worn out so it literally becoms a pain in the ... Also the chair couldn't be adjusted (it should, but the mechanisme didn't function anymore) So you cannot use the desk because the chair is way to low to use you computer on the desk.

I booked it throug expedia toh=gether with my flight and had a great deal. However, when my flight got cancelled and I wanted to stay a night longer, they charged over 200 dollars. Certainly not worth it.

Staff is friendly and helpful.Location is perfect. I would recommend another hotel close to Dupont Circle though.

Room Tip: Take a superior room for a nice view.
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We are frequent visitors to DC as my daughter attends college in the district, so we have tried several hotels, in varying areas. Dupont Circle is one of our favorite locations due to variety of restaurants and shopping, convenient Metro stop and beautiful buildings. This was our first stay at this hotel. We did not book ahead and as I was looking for availability for our stay as we drove into the city, I saw a great rate on this hotel (their own site), so decided to give it a try. We were traveling with a teenager and had choice of king bed, plus rollaway or a double, double room. We selected the king room.
The room was adequate size;however, the bathroom was tiny, with very little counter space for toiletries, hairdryer etc. The vanity had no drawers to stow things in during the day, which made the counter very crowded (especially for 3). The room was clean, the bed very comfortable. The supplied toiletries were very basic (one tiny shampoo, conditioner, lotion). No mouthwash, cotton balls etc. There were 3 small towel sets and no extra pillows or robe. They did not deliver any extra pillows or towles) with the rollaway, but there were sheets and a blanket on it.
The wifi was free (yeah!!) as was the breakfast. The breakfast was mediocre at best. Lukewarm oatmeal, toast, cereal, coffee/juice. No variety during our stay, no fresh fruit, no protein. Truthfully, the hospitality table at one of our college tours was more inviting.
Parking is expensive, but during the weekend, we were able to park on the street.
The check in desk was friendly, but the lobby is oddly located a flight of stairs below street level, necessitating us carrying our bags up and down stairs as there is no elevator from the street entrance.
The business center on ground floor is empty with signs posted to ask front desk about computers (which it turns out are only two in lobby). Many people travel with laptops now, but for those that don't, it seemed very inconvenient if any real work or quieter environment was needed.
Overall, we were pleasantly surprised. We would stay there again for a good rate, but would hesitate to pay top dollar for it. Renovations have begun (in office and staff areas) will be moving to guest rooms per the front desk staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Shawn J, General Manager at The Embassy Row Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hi Yankeemom,

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I'm glad the free Wi-Fi was an added perk for your family. I've taken your feedback about the continental breakfast into consideration and we're looking into improvements. You are correct about the hotel will undergo extension renovations in the future and be restored to its former glory. If your daughter chooses a college in Washington, DC, I hope we'll continue to be your hotel of choice for your family or future trips.

Thank you kindly. We look forward to hosting you again.

Shawn Jervis

Been to The Embassy Row Hotel? Share your experiences!