“Unbelievable bargain in D.C.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Embassy Row Hotel

You added The Embassy Row Hotel to your Saves list
The Embassy Row Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2015 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Formerly Hilton Washington Embassy Row) (Dupont Circle)   |
Offers & Announcements
3rd Night Free
Ranked #108 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Omaha
“Unbelievable bargain in D.C.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Searched the web and found this great hotel. Half a block off Dupont Circle line; nice room and complimentary breakfast; pool and patio on the roof. It was great and it was a bargain for the three-day stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
John B, Manager at The Embassy Row Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your review glad you loved the neighborhood, hotel, and our rooftop! Hope to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
San Clemente, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is an older hotel and neither the decor nor amenities measure up to the fancier, more recent hotels. However, the location, friendly and competent staff, and relatively low cost make it a very good value and my wife and I would not hesitate about staying there again. The hotel is literally within 50 yards of Dupont circle, a very active and safe area in DC. The nearest metro (red line only) is a short 5-minute walk from the hotel, and there are numerous bus/metro bus stops within a couple of minutes of the hotel. We walked at a leisurely pace from the hotel to the White House in less than 30 minutes, in fact, we walked to/from the hotel at all hours of the day/night and never felt unsafe. The staff is very friendly and ready to help when asked . We made several calls to the front desk and received prompt and accurate responses -- when necessary (eg to get help with the room safe, or to get bottled water) a staff member came to our room within a few minutes of the call. The hotel stored our luggage, at our request, for nearly 8 hours after we had checked out, to allow us to have a place to keep the luggage before heading to the airport -- no fees were asked, instead we got lots of smiles and 'our pleasure' responses from the staff. The staff is multi-cultural but unfailingly polite and ready/willing to help. We stayed at The Embassy Row Hotel 5 days (Aug. 28 to Sept 1) and paid an average of $89 per night for a standard room, booking it as a deal, though it seems various booking agencies often offer it for that or comparable rates. Downsides: superslow wi-fi (it's free and can be upgraded for approx $8/night) and low-end breakfast (scrambled reconstituted eggs, toast, sausage,milk, juices, coffee, fresh fruit -- nothing worth writing about, but again offered at no cost.) I recommend it to any but the most snooty travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We are a family of three. We stayed in Embassy Row Hotel for 8 days, and each one of us returned home with good memory of the hotel. Before making reservation, I spent a few weeks to check different web sites, compare rates and read reviews.

It is always hard for me to decide which hotel. I realize there is no perfect hotel just as a perfect world. In my opinion, a good hotel should show they care about customers. I could tell this hotel cares. The manager, John Barrett, responded to my concerns quickly. The door men were always happy to help opening the door and carrying luggage for everyone, especially the younger man looked like Hispanic. In the restaurant, every staff was pleasant. They were always there checking if any food or drink need be added. Sometimes, a younger man even helped pumping coffee for everyone. The breakfast is free and good. We liked the scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, milk, fresh bread, coffee and different types of tea. It’s said it can hole 95 people, and we didn’t feel it was small like other reviewer mentioned. Our room was cleaned almost every day except for one day. That was because my 10-old-daughter put “Not Disturb” sign on the door. But they left us a phone message saying they couldn’t clean because of the sign. All these have shown they care. For this aspect, I give them a 5-star-rating.

A good hotel should be safe. We feel very safe inside and outside of the hotel. DuPont circle is very safe area. The hotel is 3 minutes from the closest metro station, and the bus stop is right in front of the hotel. For this aspect, I give them a 5-star-rating.

A good hotel should be clean. While traveling, I always worry about bedbugs. At the end of our stay, we were so relieved that we didn’t experience the horrible bedbug problem which we heard about in many hotels. They did quite good job to clean our room every day, except for the bathtub wall. It need be sanitized more thoroughly and more often. The management should inspect it more often since it is the dampest spot. I read other customer’s complain about it too. However, because of the very important fact that they didn’t have bedbugs, they deserve a 4-star-rating for this aspect.

A good hotel should provide a quiet place for travelers to rest. We had very good rest in our 8-day stay. One thing I must mention is the bed. It is high quality bed with very good support. It is the most comfortable bed in all the hotels I have stayed, including 4-star hotels. It is also the only hotel bed which didn’t make any noise. I also notice all the doors in the room didn’t make any noise unlike any other hotels. The only noise we heard was people walking by our room. The door to outside does need better sound proof. Although we didn’t experience a problem, I could see a problem if some people were not considerate. Since we didn’t have any problem, I give them a 5-star-rating for this aspect.

A good hotel should have an affordable rate. Considering the friendly service, the safe and convenient location, good continental breakfast, quality beds, I would choose this hotel again for its reasonable rate. I give them a 5-star-rating for this aspect. I’m very pleased with my decision to choose this hotel. I’d like to thank Tripadvisor.com and Bookit.com to introduce this hotel to me.

My family's conclusion is that Embassy Row Hotel deserves a 5-star-rating. My friend has already considered this hotel for their future trip to DC. I would like to recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in a safe, comfortable, convenient and affordable hotel.

The following is my daughter's review.
The hotel was very good in all. Everything met my standards, except for the door. I could hear people walking by our room. It should be more sound proof, but it didn’t bother me. The hotel location is great, and I felt safe.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the amazing review. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share all of this with other potential guests. I will share the letter (better than a review!) with all our staff. I welcome as always any one to email me any questions or concerns.

jbarrett@embassyrowhotel.com

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Adequate breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausages, danish rolls, juice, milk, cereals) - there were lots of people downstairs and at times it was difficult to find a free table. The hotel needs some renovation done. Sun terrace is nice and hotel could benefit from having a bar or restaurant there. there are plenty restaurants nearby and grocery/pharmacy shop. Great location, clean rooms are the main advantages.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just spent 3 days at the The Embassy Row Hotel. It's a great hotel considering the price I paid ($350 for 3 nights for a king room) and the location (Dupont Circle), the room, the breakfast included and especially the rooftop pool with a relaxing area. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: I would suggest you to get a room on the higher floors and facing the Q Street NW
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
John B, Manager at The Embassy Row Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the great review and the wonderful room tip for our future guests. The Q street side of the hotel is also my favorite. The view of the beautiful DC row houses of Dupont Circle really gives you a feel for the area. Thanks for staying with us.

Queretaro, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was fortunate enough to spend a few days in DC and I'm glad to have chosen this hotel for my time up there. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean, the bathroom amenities are quite nice, the location is great, you have your own safe in your room, and it's not that expensive.
It's located in the middle of all the embassies, so I'm sure it's a nice, safe area. At least I never saw anything shady going on. One of my favorite things about it was the location, though. It is just about 5 minutes away from the metro station and that metro station is just 3 stops away from the main tourist attractions in DC. Not to mention that Starbucks and a 24-hour CVS are both around 2 minutes away!
They also have a safe storage area/system, so I felt comfortable enough to leave my luggage behind on my last day, as I had a late flight out of DC and I wanted to do some last-minute touristing before heading to the airport. They gave me a tag that I needed to hand in to pick it up, so I knew there was no way for someone else to take it.
Lastly, they have a nice business center where you can print reservations or w/e for free.

I only didn't like the fact that the wireless internet was too slow and it kept asking me for the password over and over again, and that the hotel doesn't have a restaurant (except in the morning for the free breakfast, which I never took advantage of).

I would still surely recommend this hotel to a friend, though,

A small tip: be sure to exit the metro station from the southern exit, as otherwise you'll end up having to cross three or four streets in the rotunda, which can be annoying with all the traffic lights. If you exit using the southern exit, you don't have to cross any streets to get to the hotel. Getting there from the south, the southern exit will be to your left.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for spending the time writing this review, and thanks for the photos! I apologize for the Wi-Fi as it is undergoing some improvements at the moment, but glad you took advantage of the business center. Also thank you for the metro tip, and for all future guests we are located off the “Q street” exit as you get off the Dupont Circle Metro. Then, a left on 20th street and a right onto Mass. Ave, the hotel will be on your right in about 150 feet.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is pretty much as advertised. The location is great; Dupont Circle is very trendy with lots of restaurants. Close to the Metro, a 24 hour drug store and the liquor store. The breakfast served at the hotel was better than the usual continental - good start to the day and offered for 3 hours each morning.

The furnishings are worn down, but the bed is comfortable and the rooms are clean. The pool is a nice treat at the end of a long day of walking although the nights we were there they were setting up for private parties and I'm not sure at what point they close the pool to hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Embassy Row Hotel? Share your experiences!