“Weekend of Whoopie was Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dupont Circle Hotel

You added The Dupont Circle Hotel to your Saves list
The Dupont Circle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #19 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City
“Weekend of Whoopie was Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a luxurious weekend getaway in the DC area. We heard through a friend The Dupont Hotel had recently completed a major renovation adding it's exclusive LEVEL 9. From the moment we slipped our key into the private elevator we knew we'd arrived. Our concierge, Michael was so attentive we couldn't help but feel like celebrities. Our room was modern yet cozy and the amenities were beyond expectation. We were greeted with fresh fruit, cheese and crackers and a top shelf selection of wine and liquor. The bathroom was beautiful and luxurious with it's heated tiled floors and romantic jacuzzi bathtub. We made use of the lounge area and had the most delicious pate and strawberry finger sandwiches. The bed was cozy. The service was fabulous and we can't wait to go back. Great location. Well done!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Dupont Hotel a few weekends ago and loved everything about our stay. The entire staff at the hotel really seemed to make our stay worthwhile. The Concierge gave us some great local ideas for things to do and offered to make us reservations for tours of the city, which was really nice even though we did not take a tour. My boyfriend noticed that every time we where in the lobby they someone always said hello. He travels more than I do, so I guess I didn’t notice. I agree with other reviews about the bathrooms, they are a bit modern even for my taste, but they do look nice. We will definitely go back the next time we going to Washington D.C.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed at The Dupont Hotel for a Valentine’s getaway weekend and totally enjoyed everything. The rooms are really nice, but we would have liked a coffee maker in the room even though it was free in the lobby. The heated floors in the bathroom were a first. The bar was really nice also, our server was pretty cool, I forgot his name but she was great. We had a table in the corner which had a great view of the circle, definitely get the calamari – really good! The bar definitely gets busy so you may have to wait a few minutes for your order, but it’s worth the wait not to mention it makes the atmosphere feel like a real bar. Everyone at this hotel was so nice, the girl who checked us in on Friday helped us on Saturday and Sunday with ideas for places to go and tourist things to do. Lastly, the location is very legit. The subway system was I think like across the street, but is not needed don't think due to proximity to other things.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night this week on a business trip. The location and overall look and feel of this hotel were great, but if they want to maintain their upscale image, they need to train their staff better. Example: the bright, friendly representative who checked me in told me that I could have dinner in the hotel restaurant just around the corner from the check-in desk. When I went downstairs for dinner, I was told by the hotel manager that the restaurant was closed for construction and would not open until later that week. Not ideal after a grueling day of long-distance travel. In the end, I was able to eat in the bar, but it does not seem unreasonable for staff to know that their restaurant is closed for construction. The food (vegetarian club) in the bar was absolutely delicious, but I am not sure it was worth waiting 30 minutes for it. The thumping techno music did not make for a relaxing environment for either the solo guest, or others trying to have a conversation. Perhaps some bossa nova instead? Still trendy, but gentler on the ear.
Other glitches: for personal reasons, I need to have a fridge in my room. Having called the hotel days in advance, I was assured that I would just need to request one upon arrival. Upon arrival, I was told that they weren't sure if they could get one to me, or that I might have to use the hotel fridge. I was told that they would call me to clarify. Having heard nothing, I went back downstairs 45 minutes later and the staff member told me that she had forgotten to ask the manager about the matter. In the end, the helpful manager sorted it all out, but it was annoying. At breakfast, I had to ask the waiter for a newspaper twice before it came. Again, this was not really a big problem, but as there were only two other people dining at the time, it's not as if the staff were rushed off their feet. I would have welcomed a kettle or coffee maker in the room. It's nice to have complimentary coffee in the lobby, but what if one prefers tea, or wants to have a cup of coffee before getting up in the morning? The spacious bathrooms would be much improved by the addition of a shelf or two for placement of toiletries, etc. The Kiehl's products provided are lovely though.
I think this is a good hotel, but feel that with a bit more customer service training and some adjustment of amenities, it could be a great one.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
GMDupont, Area General Manager at The Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
Dear MainSt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at The Dupont Hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to make your stay as well as our future guests’ stays better.

I am expressing my sincerest apologies for the times where our team missed an opportunity to make your stay a success. I can understand how the experiences you encountered can be frustrating, and can also see how a great stay was made into a good one. Part of providing memorable luxury to our guests is acknowledging the small details that are often overlooked. Things that our team should have picked up on instantly and felt empowered to follow through on, unfortunately came up short. While I am glad that our managers were able to step in and resolve the situations that arose, I would like to let you know that we do not consider the mishaps that happened during your stay as minor mistakes. Fine tuning our team is something that we are forever working on and hope to make our hotel stand out above the rest.

We hope that you will stay with us again so that we may show you that we are committed to excellence.

Scott Dawson
Area General Manager
clarkwgriswold
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

We recently returned from a two night stay in this hotel. The first night was very rough, while the second night could not have gone better.

The first night our room was above the entrance. Up until 2:00 or 3:00 AM, we heard a chorus of car horns that continued to wake us up, and which restarted at 7:00 AM. The room also had a defective thermostat and as a result would not turn off the heater and stop heating the room when it got to the desired temperature, and a result the room would get well into the 80’s until you manually turned it off, at which time the room temperature would plummet. This cycle went on all night.

As for the second night, the friendly and helpful staff moved us across the hall which cut down on the noise and remedied the thermostat problem.

Positives: wonderful location; friendly and helpful staff; great housekeeping; comfortable beds and pillows; beautiful restaurant; reasonably priced; and nicely decorated contemporary common areas and rooms.

Negatives: poorly marked so a little tough to find; too little space in bathroom for toiletries and hygiene items; very awkward contemporary sink and faucet; and smaller rooms.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

For second time in as many weeks, I was forced to extend my stay in DC due to the snow. And for second time in as many stays, I was blown away by the Dupont Hotel. Their sleek and stylish rooms and decor are only matched by there service. By my second stay the staff remembered my name and preferences and even bought me a couple drinks at their swanky bar (which provided a nice distration with a beautiful view of Dupont Circle and other sightseeing!) I even upgraded one night to their much awaited Level 9 - absolutely amazing is an understatement. I have already booked a weekend on Level 9 for a getaway with my wife. For a demanding consumer, a place with style, substance and service is a rare and cherished find.

Burlington, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I've just returned from my stay at the Dupont Hotel and it couldn't have been a nicer experience - from the welcoming staff at the front desk to the hip decor in the guest rooms. The lighting in the rooms was very customizable (I know, it's a small thing but it was quite nice) and the radiant floor heating in the bath area was a welcome feature on a cold winter's morning. The property is a block away from Metro (the Red Line) and there are many restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

One minor complaint - the rooms do not have irons/ironing boards though they are available upon request. Also, my room was not large (though perhaps others are). That's not an issue for me at all but it might be for others.

A truly great stay. I will be back.