“Dry,warm, home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Washington, DC - Connecticut Ave.

You added Days Inn Washington, DC - Connecticut Ave. to your Saves list
Days Inn Washington, DC - Connecticut Ave.
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4400 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 25% Summer Sale
Ranked #108 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
West Texas
“Dry,warm, home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

This no frills hotel we stayed in for 6 nights is conveniently located to Giant grocery, restaurants, Starbucks, CVS pharmacy, Avis car rental and both metro train and bus. There are 3 computers in the lobby and 1 printer and a free coffee machine. Everyday The lobby staff was helpful and the night security guard also helped answer numerous questions. One evening I requested 3 set ups of extra towels and wash rags and they were delivered within 5 minutes. The availability to shop at the grocery store for inexpensive bottled water, fresh fruits, salads, etc. was a big plus to our stay. I had planned to rent a car and drive to Ocean City and eat crabs, but ran out of time. Having access to a rental car here is cheaper than renting at the airport and you get to park free at the hotel parking lot when you rent at this Avis. The draw backs….small bathroom and no free breakfast. Yes I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I went to D.C for the Protest Rally on 9/12. The accommodations were pleasant enough, but I should have know something was amiss when my daughter saw hotel mattresses being tossed out at the dumpster. You guessed it. Bed Bugs. My sister just spent $1100 to fumigate her house after discovering bed bugs biting her children. This was 2 weeks after our trip, well within the incubation period. Obviously, the bugs did not come with "Days Inn" tags on them, but after researching bed bugs, and given the fact that mattresses were being thrown out at the hotel dumpster, it is our best guess that my niece must have had a bug go home with her and infest their house. I invite the management of Days Inn - Washington to comment. Were they throwing out infested mattresses that weekend?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

With prices as outrageous as they are in Washington D.C. this is an "affordable" hotel that is still close enough to attractions to make it worth while. It is about 2 blocks, 5 minute walk to the metro station. There are fast food options right around the hotel. It takes close to 20 minutes however to get down to The Mall area of D.C. so plan a little extra travel time. It is only 1 or 2 stops to the National Zoo which is a really nice way to visit the zoo often. The rooms were spacious for a Days Inn and very clean. Safety was not an issue either. I would probably stay here again if ever in D.C.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Its 2:00 am we have not been to sleep, even though we traveled all day to get here. We brought our 89 yr.old father to vist the ww ll memorial. But as luck would have it Amber is having a birthday party in the next room. After numerous complaints and visits from security and our neighbors it was decided although they were loud, that there was real nothing that could ( would ) be done about it. Sounds a little crasy doesn"t. We are in your hotel for one reason to get rest so we can see your great city. I am a retired firefighter and trust me I can sleep under any conditions, I thought. Worse part we have to be here 3 more nights! We wanted this trip to something we wouldn't forget I guess we should feel lucky. I know this review is a waste of time but I needed something to do. And I didn;t want to turn on the TV and disturb the other guests after all it's 2:22 am.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Southeast U.S.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

My husband and I chose this Days Inn based largely on the many positive reviews it has received. However, we were less than impressed during our 5-day stay.
The one standout positive about this hotel is that the location is great. The hotel is about a block from a metro station, and there are restaurants, a grocery store, and a drugstore within walking distance. There's a good mix of residential and commercial buildings, and we felt very safe in the area, even at night.
However, the hotel itself was rather underwhelming. We had a single king bed room, and it had the most awkward layout I've ever seen. The desk chair didn't fit underneath the desk, and the desk was right next to the bed, so in order to walk around the bed, you had to move the desk chair halfway across the room. The full-length mirror was placed in a corner where you could only use it if you moved the floor lamp...but there was nowhere else to put it that was near an outlet. I don't know if we just happened to have a room that was an odd shape or something, but it seemed like they may have remodeled and realized too late that the furniture doesn't fit into the rooms right, causing the really awkward layout.
The hotel was clean enough, I suppose, but germaphobes would probably not be happy staying here. It wasn't exactly dirty, but the tub, the sink, and the walls all looked like they could use a good scrubbing. In our room, you could see a big hole in the bathroom wall between the mirror and the light fixture which really should have been patched. In addition, the walls and ceiling in the room all had very obvious patched holes.
The staff wasn't terrible, but they weren't particularly good either. At one point we attempted to call down to the front desk to ask a question. 20 rings later, there was still no answer. When we went downstairs less than 5 minutes later, there were at least 4 staff members standing around chatting behind the desk, and zero customers. In addition, check-out took forever, and the housekeeping staff was not friendly at all.
We would recommend this Days Inn for anybody who doesn't plan to spend much time in their hotel while in DC. We mostly just used it as a place to sleep at night - for that purpose it was fine. The location was a great launching point for seeing most of the sights, and anyone who plans to get around using the metro will appreciate it's proximity to the Van Ness-UDC stop. If you're looking for a nice hotel, though, look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

I reserved this hotel with a great rate of $71/nite (tax incl), and knowing beforehand it was a Days Inn, I wasn't expecting too much since they are pretty much known to be basic budget motels.

But all I want in DC is a clean place to crash after walking for hours and hours of touring the many fabulous sights/museums DC has to offer, so for $71, i'm certainly not expecting the Ritz.

But the Days Inn Connecticut Ave did come close.

As you may see in the many pics I will upload here...the room was a very comfy and the walls were a pleasant yellow color and the king size bed was extremely comfortable.....and so many pillows to sink into!

Room has all the amenities a serious traveler would want....bathroom had lotion, shampoo, conditioner, bar soaps & hair dryer attached to the wall.

Also you have an iron and board, as well as a coffee maker, but that only brews 1 cup per package sooo....be nice, and ask the housekeepers for extra and she will gladly give you some!!

There is a room safe that look s very secure, but it is a $1.50 charge to use it....I am not sure if that is for the day or entire stay, but I didn't use it so ask if interested in it.

The bathroom had this magnificent ceramic beige italian looking tiles covering all the walls...this gave it a very nice "spa" like feel....sink was small, but had black granite counter.....so all in all the bathroom really had a luxury feel to it...good hot water and pressure as well.

And as the last reviewer stated, many towels rolled up underneath the vanity you use....again...another "spa" like feel by having the towels rolled up like that. :)

I have to give great credit to the front desk...I know that makes or breaks it for some travelers, but I have to say that all the ladies I encountered at the front desk were extremely nice and welcoming to me.

I am so sorry I didn't get their names. But they all did an exceptional job in making me feel welcome in their hotel. No attitude whatsoever and a pleasure to deal with. A couple of them were "trainees" as I saw on their name tags and they were very pleasant and accomodating....(someone is training them great!)

The location of the hotel is also great. It is less than a 5 min walk to the Metro Station and what's even better is that right in front of the station is a Giant Supermarket...which is perfect for grabbing some "to go" food....

The store has a great deli and salad bar and I had a nice lunch one afternoon sitting outisde the store people watching at the Van Ness metro stop. So Giant Foods.....highly recommended...(.79 cents for a quart (33oz) of water!!!.....stock up like I did instead of buying on the Mall for $2.50 for 16 oz size!)

Location is VERY safe feeling.....lots of proffessionals everywhere...day & evening.

All in all, this was a great find for me and I am just a tad hesitant of sharing it with everyone cause the rates will probably shoot up now!

But I do like to share a great deal when I see one and this is one....I paid $71 for 1 night, but it may be more for other dates....Honestly, I would say that the rooms/location would warrant a $99/nite max.

Any higher...look elsewhere.....this IS a great hotel....NICE bathroom....Comfy bed....but I can't say it's worth more than $99/nite...so try and finagle a bargain if their website is quoting high.

Check out all my pics...I took lots and took pics of stuff *I* would be interested in seeing when I come to TA so you will see just about everything of the room!!

If any questions you may have my e mail is cfr70@msn.com and I will gladly tell you as much as I know.

For other Deaf/Hard of Hearing that may want to stay here....the tv's are Closed Captioned....and the lady at the front desk (please forgive me I forgot your name!!)......she knew a bit of sign language which made me feel WAY comfortable there!!...So very Deaf Friendly hotel!!! :)

Also, a great feature is that the lamps have 2 outlets each on the base of them! This is great for everyone's personal electronic gadgets to charge.....I snapped pic of it...each lampm base has 2 outlets you can use for chargeing your gadgets....VERY nine and handy feature!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I was looking to take a weekend trip to DC with my 10 year old child but thought an affordable trip was out of reach. Then I saw the DC Days Inn. I always get nervous when booking a hotel on price alone, but I knew that we would be on the go from morning to night and would only need a place to stay, so I booked here.

I was delightfully surprised that the hotel exceeded my expectations. The pictures on the website are representative of the rooms. They were clean and well appointed. Staff was friendly and the location of the hotel in relation to the Metro and Giant (grocery store) can't be beat. So it worked out that I didn't need a car, nor did I need to spend too much money on food. (as a side note, there is a pizza place across the street called Italian Pizza Kitchen and the pizza is excellent. In fact I've been craving it since I got home from DC).

I felt safe in the area, the surrounding neighborhood is very quiet. My child and I walked the few blocks from the metro at night and not once did I feel scared. The zoo is one stop up on the Metro (Don't take the metro stop marked zoo - it is an uphill walk), and the walk from the Metro to the zoo was very picturesque. Actually reminded me of Boston, very beautiful.

Adding everything up - walking distance to metro, restaurants and grocery store nearby, safe neighborhood, friendly staff and clean rooms, I will only stay here from now on when I go to DC.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family