“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Greenville, North Carolina
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I had been afraid to book a room here because of all the bad TripAdvisor reviews. Being close to the subway was of most importance and since the Capitol Hill Hotel was only a five minute walk to the subway I decided to go ahead. It was in a great location and a very reasonable price. It had just been renovated in the furniture and things downstairs were very nice. Our room was clean and the staff was extremely friendly. The only thing I could say negative was that there was a party going on in the room next door that kept me up until about 2 a.m. when I finally called downstairs and complained. They took care of it promptly.

• Stayed February 2014
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hello LLM3078,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. You have no idea how refreshing it is to read that you were able to sift through the reviews and make up your own mind about where to stay. I'm really happy to hear that this decision was validated by your experience with us. I'm sorry about the partygoers and glad we got it resolved. Thanks again for the review. We really appreciate it.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We did not have a good experience.

First, the check-in process on a busy Friday afternoon was HORRIBLY managed. When we walked in, the line was so long and the lobby was so crowded that it seemed more like a hostel than a hotel. No rooms were available as of 4pm, despite check-in time being at 3, so we had to wait awhile which put us at risk of missing our event.

But, by far, the worst element was how unbelievably HOT our room was. The room was a consistent 80 degrees the entire night, making it impossible to sleep. When we complained, we were told it was because the building was old and the AC took a while to turn on for the season. We were handed a small, handheld fan which had no impact. We were there in early April, and there was not a heat wave in DC; there was NO reason that air conditioning shouldn't have been available to all guests at that point. At minimum, a large number of fans should have been available, and all guests should have been made aware of the ungodly hot rooms prior to checking in.

The manager on duty the next morning was sympathetic and gave us a slight discount, but ultimately we would not have stayed here if we'd known about the kind of experience we were getting for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hello Cameron C,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. I'm terribly sorry about the wait to get into your room and that we failed to get the room cooled to your satisfaction. Our Housekeeping Team fell behind and we needed to make some repairs to the air conditioning system. It's great to hear that the manager was compassionate the next morning and that you were given a credit for what must've been a tough night. The air conditioning is fully functional now and we don't anticipate any further issues. I'd love to hear from you if I can be of any assistance in the future.

San Antonio,TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Excellent location, walking distance to the Capitol, the Mall and the Smithsonian facilities. Two blocks from South Capitol Metro station.
One block North up 3rd Street SE and down Pennsylvania Avenue towards 4th, there's several good bars (Hawk N Dove, Tune Inn) a liquor store if you want to buy a bottle and head back to your room. Walk West towards 2nd street on Pennsylvania avenue and there's a decent wine bar, chines place, and a great lunch place called Burrito Brothers that will fill you up (cheap!)
For those fitness conscious travelers, walk a block south down 2nd Street SE from the hotel and take a left on D Street SE and there's a Sports and Health Club (you can purchase a day pass).
I parked on the street after hours, so can't comment on the hotel parking. Overall the place is well maintained, though could use a little spit and polish in some of the common areas and some of the fixtures are showing signs of wear and could benefit from a scrub and a spot of paint. The rooms are reasonably sized, bed comfortable and linen in good shape. Microwave and small fridge allowed was great (there's a Whole Foods and Trader Joes right off the Foggy Bottom Metro stop). Staff very friendly. Quiet at night, no street noise and thick walls so can't comment on the extracurricular activities of my neigbours.
Breakfast included (continental breakfast) and was good.
Overall, great facility and enjoyable stay. Would stay again on future visits to DC and recommend to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hello WalterReed,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this great review of the hotel and our fantastic neighborhood. You tried out some of my favorite places on The Hill. I sit at the bar and have lunch at Hawk and Dove a couple of times weekly and on other days I just stop into the first place that catches my eye. It's a great neighborhood. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again for the review. I hope you make it back again soon.

From all over
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here the weekend of Jan 19 2013. The hotel was nice, and neat, breakfast was good too. Everything was great until the valet brought my car around with a broken window. Someone had broken into my window. I was told that I should get my insurance to pay for it first because they don't know how long it would take(for their company to pay for it). Their was a report written up, some "supervisor" stood off watching us, never came to apologize ask any questions. So the business card we did get, I tried to contact the hotel numerous time. I always got the voice mail and never a call back. Then when someone finally did answer the phone, from the business card, he said he no longer worked there. When you park your car on hotel property you should feel that your car will be safe. Not only that the hotel should care.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Tee80,

Thank you for spending your birthday weekend here at Capitol Hill Hotel last year. I'm saddened to hear that it wasn't a great one and I would've loved to have had an opportunity to discuss it with you. The safety of our guests and the security of their belongings is incredibly important to us. I started here in March of last year and have found Capitol Hill to be one of the quietest neighborhoods in the city. However, as a precautionary measure, we've also added security to keep an eye on things at the hotel. If there's anything that I can help with moving forward I would love to hear from you. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the feedback.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just blocks from the Capitol, Supreme Court, Folger Library, Library of Congress, good restaurants, bars and coffee shops, Eastern Market, the Metro, etc, etc. If you like to walk and be in a charming neighborhood, this is a great location for your stay in D.C.

We had a room with two comfortable queen beds, with four pillows for each bed, a wet bar with microwave and coffeemaker and fridge. The room was relatively large and quiet with a large picture window offering lots of light. There is a shade to pull down at night that completely blocks out light, but ours broke the first night and was not repaired despite repeated requests. One could still bring it down with time and effort. The room was stuffy and overheated, and turning down the thermostat for the heat pump was futile. The windows do not open, like in so many hotels nowadays; especially disappointing as the weather outside was gorgeous - cool, clear and dry and Washington was in bloom. The bathroom is tiny but quite serviceable.

Breakfast is included, though the 2 adjoinging dining rooms are inadequately sized for the number of guests trying to eat and maneuver around each other. We went to an outside coffee shop after the first morning.

The hotel provides free red and white wines at the cocktail hour in a comfortable room off the lobby, as well as coffee and hot water for various teas throughtout the day.

Checkout is noon but the front desk personnel were happy to accommodate our request to leave at 2 PM.

Overall, I would say that we were happy with this hotel, but fresh or just cooler air in the room would have been much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Moorestown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We never did make it to the hotel. After checking room availability on the website, we purchased travel vouchers, That was our mistake. I had to call three times because I'd get disconnected after waiting 15 minutes for Reservations to pick up. Finally when I got to speak with someone, I couldn't believe how rude he was! Not only were there not rooms available using the vouchers, when I asked how many rooms they allot for vouchers, he told me not to raise my voice! Wow. All I did was ask a question. We tried to call back later to let the hotel manager know of our experience but no one picked up the phone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Just returned from Washington DC, and absolutely have to recommend this hotel. It is in the best location, especially if you have a budget. The hotel is only 1 block from the Metrostation which makes getting around a breeze. So easy to just walk down the street and hop on the train and go anywhere in the area. It is only 2 blocks from a row of popular, inexpensive restaurants, We the Pizza and Good Stuff Eatery. Makes it easy to just grab a meal without having to break the budget or have to drive miles to get lunch.
The room we had was large with a small kitchen and a full size refridgerator. Excellent water pressure in the shower as well as a good selection of cable channels.
The Capital Building is 2 blocks and Union Station 6 blocks.
The neighborhood is beautiful, quiet, away from heavy traffic.
Will stay here again in the near future

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Capitol Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!