“Good location, Plumbing Issues” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #58 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Ann Arbor, MI
“Good location, Plumbing Issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

There were some things we liked about this hotel: roomy rooms with a couch, coffee table, kitchenette. 1 1/2 blocks to orange/blue Metro line. Decent breakfast. Beds way too squishy -- no support.

Unfortunately, the room had issues. I wondered why the shower floor looked like it had the mange (peeling surface) and looked dirty. We discovered why the next morning: by the end of the shower, we were standing in 5 inches of water. Also, the outlet in the bathroom did not work. We called to report this then went out sightseeing all day. Next morning: still 5 inches of water in the tub. We called again, end of day still not fixed. So they gave us a new room, smaller than the other one and 2 floors down overlooking the valet parking lot. No problem, we want working plumbing. Well, turns out that the toilet runs and will only flush once evey half hour or so. This lead to lots of jokes in my family about who needs to go to the bathroom the most. Also, lots of trips down a flight to use the public restroom (which was beautiful, and flushed). You'd think if you had a problem they'd make sure to put you in a room as good as the one you were leaving, and with no maintenance issues. We did not complain again -- huge hassle to change rooms a second time with 4 people. Not acceptable considering the significant cost of staying there. The economy hotel we stayed in on the way there was 1/3 of the price and the plumbing worked perfectly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hello Amy J,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your Capitol Hill Hotel experience here on Tripadvisor. It's great to read that you enjoyed the size of our rooms and the convenience of our location. I'm really sorry about the plumbing issues you experienced with us. We want everyone to use the bathroom as much as they'd like. So, please be fully assured that this issue has been addressed. Also, we're in the process of getting the tub in this room and any others like it resurfaced. I'd love to hear from you if I can assist with anything in the future. We'd certainly love for you to give us another try.

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I visited DC to celebrate our anniversary and see the sights over a long weekend. We were looking for a nice suite, and certainly found what we were looking for. It's conveniently located to the metro, and easy walk to the Capitol and (if you like to walk like we do), the mall and Smithsonian.

My husband is still raving about the comfortable beds. I am still talking about the friendly and accommodating staff. Our train arrived early in the morning, and we stopped by the hotel at 10 am to store our luggage, never expecting our room would be available. Staff were also helpful in recommending restaurants, suggesting the best way to get to different places, and were quick to smile and greet us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello 2blackdog4,

Thanks for posting this fantastic review of Capitol Hill Hotel! We really appreciate you sharing your experience with fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you and your husband had an enjoyable getaway. Come back to see us again soon. We'd love to have you.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

After years of traveling to D.C. I decided to stay at the Capitol Hotel due to meetings in the area. What a find! The hotel is in a wonderful neighborhood in the Capitol Hill area, with streets lined with lovely brownstones and restaurants. The hotel is off the main drag of Pennsylvania Ave, so it's very quiet in the neighborhood. That said, one block away the area is bustling with sites and restaurants. A perfect location.

The room itself was quite comfortable and large. I had a corner room with views out two windows and two different streets. The bedding was nice, and there was plenty of room to work. The bathroom was sufficient and there was the convenience of a small kitchenette just off the bath area. The only complaint is that there wasn't much sink space in the bathroom, but with the small kitchenette area just off to the side (with full length mirror), this made up for the lack of space in the bathroom itself.

The front desk service was wonderful, and there is a very nice lounge area off the main lobby with nice seating, coffee, tea and juices. There is also a light breakfast served here in the morning which included muffins. The largest morning breakfast is served in building right next door so even though you have to go outside, it is just steps away (I didn't take advantage of the breakfast service, only the morning muffins, which were delicious).

I would definitely stay here again if in the Capitol Hill area!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello bisquin,

Thank you for sharing this great review of Capitol Hill Hotel here on Tripadvisor. It's great to read that your stay was a good one. I'm glad you were able to enjoy all of the charm of Capitol Hill. It's especially great to read that you were well taken care of by our team. You'll have to come back to visit soon and definitely partake in the continental breakfast.

Thanks again for the review.

Newark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second year I have stayed here for the March Rock 'N Roll DC marathon. Great location in the city. One block away to eat and drink on Pennsylvania Ave. 2mikes from race start but train is less than two blocks away. Will stay here again. The only downside is parking. You can pay for valet parking in advance but there are limited spots. I parked at the Amtrak station ($22/day) about 1.1miles from Hotel. The parking is the only guest complaint I heard while staying.

• Stayed March 2013
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hello DBofDE,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your review of Capitol Hill Hotel. I'm glad your weekend on The Hill was an enjoyable one. We love having you all with us. I can barely get past one mile on a treadmill so I tip my hat to anyone who finishes a marathon. Well done and we hope to see you next year!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The attitude of the staff here seems to be that the customer is always wrong! I arrived with a confirmation code printout from my client stating dates, room rate and billable party. First I was told that the reservation didn't exist. Then it was argued that I was the responsible party for the bill. Finally I was told that everything was straightened out with the client, and they just needed my credit card for incidentals. At checkout they billed my credit card anyway at $80/night over the reserved rate! Elements of my negotiations were right out of Alice in Wonderland. One clerk insisted over the phone that my reservation code was no longer in the system and then 5 minutes later insisted I take it down (same number) for future reference. I was also told that the over-billed rates "averaged" out to the quoted rate. Ridiculous. I felt like at times they were literally making stuff up to get me to move on. To my relief, the issue, while still not satisfactorily resolved, is now in the hands of my client. I'm really not a complainer, and if it had been just one staff member I would certainly not point my finger at the company. This attitude was pervasive and I will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello elegiac610,

Thank you for taking a moment to post this compelling review of your experience with us. I could not be more disappointed with the interactions you had during your stay. You have my every assurance that this has been fully reviewed and addressed with our team. This will not happen to you or any guest in the future at Capitol Hill Hotel. I'd love to hear from you if you're coming back to the area or if I can be of any assistance, at all, moving forward.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Capitol Hill Hotel, 200 C Street SE Washington D.C., 20003, is in a perfect location. It is within walking distance of almost everything you'll want to see and do. Union Station is about 4 blocks away, and one block from the hotel is the Capitol South Metro line. I booked our suite online about 3 weeks in advance and paid-in-full on my credit card which saved us a bundle. Our suite was huge and very nicely appointed with a nicely equipped kitchen, a nice dining room and a big living room. We could have had a dinner party! Breakfast was a plentiful self-serve affair with boiled eggs, cheeses & meats, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruit, bagels and cream cheese, and wonderful breads and pastries. So, what was the "except... part?" PARKING. It was a nightmare. We were in Washington to see our son run in the Rock& Roll Marathon. Our hotel was jumping with runners and family members-- which was fine. The problem is that there was no "valet parking," because, apparently, their was no more space on the lot. We were directed to a parking area near Union Station, but we circled Union Station in very heavy traffic three times and never managed to locate the lot. We tried several other parking areas, but we were not permitted to park overnight. I'd say the whole parking ordeal took us an hour and a half -- or more. Then we tried to walk back to the hotel, but at that point we had no idea where we were, so we had to pay for a cab. It started our weekend off badly-- but, the room was beautiful, my son did spectacularly in the race, and we didn't have to deal with the car until our departure--. All in all, though, it was a great place to stay and I'd absolutely stay there again. http://independentcollection.com/offers/capitol-hill-hotel-offers/

Room Tip: A tip I picked up on Tripadvisor-- ask for a room in the building with the breakfast room. AND, ask...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello caftravel,

Thank you for reviewing Capitol Hill Hotel here on Tripadvisor. Although I'm glad to read that you had a near perfect experience it sounds like parking was quite an ordeal. This falls well short of the seamless arrival experience we aspire to deliver to each of our guests. I'm terribly sorry for that. As you can imagine, parking spaces are pretty scarce on Capitol Hill. We do our very best to accommodate every guest who drives in and we're working on a game plan to increase our capacity. I truly hope you will continue to Make Capitol Hill Hotel your home base when you're in Washington.

Boise
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel was overall good. They have done some upgrades, but not an overall renovation so the rooms are a funny mix of ultra modern features, but the structure is dated. The breakfast is good and it is located close to a metro and some good delis. We had some inconsistencies with information from the front desk staff in regards to the metro service, availability of DVDs and how frequently the staff was going to restock our room’s coffee (FYI they cleaned and restocked 3 out of the 6 days we were there) So if you are in doubt about the answer one employee has, ask another.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Donte J, General Manager at Capitol Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hello Allicat0101,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Capitol Hill Hotel here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and location. It's great to be on a tree lined street in the midst of the historic charm of our nation's capital.
I'm glad your stay with us was an enjoyable one. However, it's disappointing to read that there were inconsistencies in the information you received from us. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will review this with the newer people on our Guest Services Team to be sure that this doesn't happen again in the future.

Thanks again for posting this review. We hope to have you back again soon.

Donte Johnson

Been to Capitol Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!