“Mixed feelings about the Topaz” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mixed feelings about the Topaz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We chose the Topaz based on reviews in Trip Advisor and the Location was walking distance to everything we wanted to do. With so many hotels in DC, and many near Dupont Circle, we narrowed our search down to a matter of amenities. I want to give a fabulously glowing review but I just can't. Topaz Hotel tries very hard to be an upscale luxury hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful for the most part. The decor was very trendy and interesting albeit a bit worn and dog-chewed. The room was clean and that's my most important demand for any hotel room! So that was half the battle right there. But was it a comfortable stay? Not entirely. The mini fridge was very loud and rattled all night keeping us up. We considered unplugging it but we were afraid we would melt chocolates in it and be charged for them. We kept shifting it to make it stop but it would just start right up again. The air conditioner was covered by curtains so you either have to keep that portion of the curtain open all night or turn the AC down really low. I don't know what Frette Italian sheets are supposed to feel like but there was nothing special about these. I have 400 thread count sheets at home and these were not nearly as nice as that. We had to request many things from the front desk because they were missing from our room. No remote for the TV. No Yoga DVDs. The phone to call the front desk didn't work. The remote control to work the DVD player was broken. Some of the Yoga props were missing. We had to request the free breakfast vouchers that were included in our upgrade as they were not given to us when we checked in. I don't like being high maintenance but we had to keep asking for things. Parking at $35 a night is ridiculous! Especially when there is a parking garage across the street. We parked in a garage on desales (2 blocks over) in a valet lot that was $20/night. The in room movies were $15 and the in room spa services were very expensive (50 minute massage for $150. - there are a couple of day spas just a short walk away that charge $1/minute for services) so you are paying luxury hotel prices - but not really getting a luxury hotel experience.

The positives: The room was huge! Maybe the largest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. The location was fantastic! Starbucks a block away! The breakfast buffet was very good. They had all the usual items but then kicked it up a notch by adding fancy syrups for the coffee, cheese and green onions in the eggs - lots of bacon - a very nice offering. The shower was very nice - good water pressure - and very clean! They are a pet friendly hotel on a quiet street.

I would not stay there again because there are too many other hotels to try in the area, but I would not discourage anyone from trying them out either. I would recommend this hotel to a friend - but I would give them the pros and cons just like I did here for all of you. Every room is different I'm sure so maybe the people who stayed in our room before us nicked all the stuff we were missing! Hopefully a very fair, honest review.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Nice hotel, good location, good friendly service, not far from good restaurants. The pillows they had were too hard for me, but the hotel staff brought us the right type of pillow we wanted so I was happy. DC is great. I'm not into museums, but surprisingly, I enjoyed the Newseum, all the Smithsonian Museums, Spy Museum and the monuments. As for the restaurants, Vapiano, Crepes a go go, Blue Duck Tavern, The Tabard Inn (right next door) Kramerbooks, Otello, La Madeleine (Georgetown) were among the favorites. We tried Luna Grill a couple of times, but my son didn't like it both times. Oyamel near Chinatown gave us terrible service (the server seemed reluctant to serve), had dirty unisex restroom, served lukewarm water (ice water was too much trouble, I guess), food was so-so.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Los Gatos, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband, teenage daughter and I recently stayed at the Topaz on vacation. The room was stylishly decorated (if a little multi-colored) and comfortable. We especially liked the alcove with the desk. We didn't care that the view from our window was of a parking lot. The beds were soft and cozy and the room was spacious. If I wanted to nitpick I'd have liked a light in the closet area, which was, by the way, too small for 3 people (obviously designed for the solo business traveler), but otherwise the room was great. There was lemonade available in the lobby during the hot afternoons and complimentary wine in the evenings. Plus, the Dupont Circle metro station was two blocks away. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

The Topaz is located near Dupont Circle, and the metro stop is a short 5 minute walk away. Also close to bars, restaurants and nightlife. We walked to the National Mall, stopping by the Smithsonian Art Gallery and the National Archives on our way - it was a long walk, but DC is easy to navigate.

I booked a king room for $99 online for a normal weekend in August, which was amazing value given how pricey hotels in DC can be. The room was well appointed, with a very comfortable bed and soft linens. There is a flat screen plasma tv, ironing board, a jungle print bathrobe and luxury shampoo, bath gel and conditioner provided, as well as a hair dryer.

Reception was friendly and helpful. There are topaz coloured fortune cookies on the desk, two cute goldfish to greet you and from 2pm to 4pm, complimentary iced lemon tea in the foyer for guests. There was also a free wine hour but we didn't participate in that.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My girlfriends and I planned an overnight stay at the hotel and were blown away by the great service. We threw our girlfriend a surprise birthday party and the hotel did so much to help us celebrate. Tighe, the front office supervisor, helped us with everything from ordering food to throwing in a birthday surprise for the birthday girl. She could tell the amount of effort that went into everything and had a great time. We will all definitely come back again!! The location and cleanliness of the hotel were perfect as well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

My sister, her pug, and I traveled to the Topaz for our annual sisters weekend. We booked the Topaz because of the great reviews on trip advisor, and the $99 rate we found through their summer sale email they send to Kimpton in touch members (free). We love the special kimpton touches, so staying at a Kimpton is a must. We are friends on Facebook, and learned the secret magic word for August, which got us a free upgrade to a yoga room and valet parking. Raymond helped checked us in, poured us wine at their complimentary happy hour, and even took a picture of Bailey the pug to put on their hotel pet wall. Raymond and the rest of the staff really went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I come to D.C. a few times a year for one or two-week stretches on business. I started off at the nearby Rouge Hotel, which is also a Kimpton. It was a little too much of a party hotel on a busy street so I started going to the Topaz.
It is fantastic - it's on a quiet street close to Dupont Circle and Connecticut Ave. The rooms are all large with distinct working areas featuring big desks and free wireless Internet as well as several side tables, an extra comfy chair or couch and nice big windows. Those large rooms make long stays a treat...you don't feel confined. The rooms have a safe and they also provide comfy animal print bathrobes and an umbrella. I like the room lighting as well as the funky interior design.
I find the bathrooms a little too small and the shower/tub area out of date. However each bathroom has a sort of ante room where you can leave toiletries, etc. I also find the TV, which has satellite cable, has a very narrow selection of pay-per-view movies and only a handful of channels to watch.
On the plus side, the service is excellent. Each time I stay, I request a kettle in my room for tea as well as some dishes for breakfasts and snacks and they're always there in advance. The front desk staff are very helpful and pleasant, and as others have mentioned, they serve complimentary drinks after work.
The hotel has no gym but you can get a pass for the YMCA less than a block away.
This is a pet friendly hotel, so probably not for people with allergies.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business