“A charming hotel on a lovely block” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off parking!
Ranked #23 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“A charming hotel on a lovely block”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed here with another couple on the 15th and 16th of December 2006 and we thought this was a sweet, boutique hotel.

The decor is quirky and fun. The rooms are spotless and fairly large. (The carpets looked new). The staff is friendly and helpful.

The location is central to all the sites and yet it is on a quiet block.

We had drinks at the bar--a fun place to hang out although, as NYers we've become unaccustomed to the smoke. Oh well.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel because my friend has stayed here before and wasnt' impressed with the breakfast, so we went next door to the Habberd Inn.

I loved the shampoo and conditioner, the hotel provided.

I can't think of thing to complain about. We would stay here again.

• Liked — location, decor, cleaniliness
  • Disliked — smoke in bar
  • Tips/Secrets — try Habberd Inn, next door for breakfast
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

Pros: Style, location, price, friendliness
Cons: Maybe a little too "pet friendly"

Modern, hip, *and* down-to-earth... how often do you get to stay in a place that is trendy yet welcoming? It's a tough balance to achieve, but the Topaz does it.

We arrived late at night after a grueling drive from NYC. The staff was warm, courteous and sympathetic. Our room (basic 2-queens) was incredibly spacious and very comfortable - a haven. And the price?!? I was traveling on government business and the rate was well below the established per diem, a rarity in Washington DC.

The décor and staff uniforms are a little funny - they are going for a kind of zen theme to everything - the contrivance of this can at times make you feel like you're staying in a Disney-managed property. However, this theme leads them to offer in-room Tazo teas and free smoothies in the lobby, so I guess I'm a fan.

The hotel is pet-friendly, which (though not a current pet owner) I did not mind until I observed several large, dark stains in the carpet. This was the only deficiency in cleanliness I noticed, but due to the well-advertised pet policy, it kindof grossed me out.

The staff really was fantastic. When we arrived late at night, they told us that street parking would be free due to a holiday the next day which meant that we would not need to pay the $20-something for hotel parking. Upon arriving at our room, one of the desk clerks called to tell us that he'd double-checked and there would not be free street parking after all. He then personally came to our room, picked up our keys, and parked our car in the garage for free that night, because he felt bad about giving us incorrect information originally (when it was no big deal), On top of all this, he refused any kind of a tip. We were incredibly impressed.

• Liked — Style, service, location, price
  • Disliked — Maybe too pet friendly
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2006

I stayed at the Topaz for the weekend, and thought it was a lovely boutique hotel tucked away on a quiet street in the Dupont Circle neighborhood. It's very close to the metro and there was lots of free parking on street--which is rare in a city. I was surprised by other reviews here, and I certainly didn't find Topaz to be dingy or tired looking at all. In fact, the room looked like it was newly renovated and was absolutely enormous. It was also on the top floor and we had good views. For the rate we paid, it was an incredible deal. The service was not quite as attentive as some other Kimpton hotels I've visited, but it was friendly nevertheless.

• Liked — the rooms, free parking
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

This is a great hotel for the price. My room was nice, spacious and clean, complete with Aveda amenities. This was my 3rd stay at the Topaz, and was consistent with my previous experiences. The hotel is in an excellent location, near shopping, Starbucks, and nightlife. I didn't observe any worn carpets. My king room (511) was at the end of the hall and away from the elevators, so it was very quiet. The staff handled my simple requests efficiently. I even worked out at the YMCA for a nominal fee of $5. The bar is great, offers great drinks (Blue Nirvana) and appetizers. Certain drinks are half off between 5 and 7 I think, otherwise youpay a hefty price ($9 and up) for premiums, which is expected at any hotel bar.

If you like the opposite of big, corporate hotels, this one is great.

• Liked — Digital safes in each room to lock up cash, credit cards, and other valuables not in use.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for an upper floor room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
new england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

The Kimpton Hotels, including the Topaz, are long on promise and very, very short on delivery. Lobby and rooms are dingy and showing wear. The staff was untrained. The quality of sheets and other things in the rooms was inferior. This would be ok, except prices are often 250 or 300+. Maybe for $150. But there are better options in Washington if you're willing to pay more.

Stayed May 2006
St. Louis Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

4 couples spent 3 days at the Topaz and all of us had the same impressions.
1. The hotel is worn out and needs to be cleaned and updated.
2. The staff was friendly but not ready for guests to check in at 4pm on a slow Thursday.
3. The carpet needs to be replaced.
4. Location is good as other reviews have stated but the tired decor and dirty living conditions negate that and then some. We will not stay here again.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — Decor and upkeep
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
msindc27, Director of Sales & Marketing at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2006
Thank you for your candid feedback on the Topaz Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel. From mid-November through mid-December we are installing brand new carpeting in all the guest rooms. Two floors at-a-time will be taken out of inventory to minimize any inconvenience to guests. Following the new carpets, we will be replacing the sofas, chairs, sheets and pillows beginning in January. We hope you have the opportunity to come back and "Transcend the Everyday" at the refreshed and remodeled Topaz Hotel.
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

Although the carpet and wallpaper is showing wear, the hotel is on a quiet street for DC and yet close to restaurants and shops. The bar is loud and full of smoke but you can pass that by--food is not worth ordering even if you want to work in your room at night amd the breakfast is not worth it either. But it is conveniant and everyone is helpful. I've probably stayed there two dozen times for work and it is my favorite. I occasionally see families there, but it is more of a singles or professionals place to stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Tips/Secrets — earplugs
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!