“Super hip, great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off parking!
Ranked #23 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Super hip, great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

We were very excited to stay at the Topaz from the high trip advisor ranking, reading some reviews and checking out pictures and it definitely lived up to expectations. We requested an upper floor as suggested by another review and ended up in a top floor room that was awesome. Hip decor, Aveda products in the bathroom and AWESOME bed. I love the bed and want one to take home. This is not your standard hotel room.

We went to the Topaz Bar (a bit pricey but great drinks), which is a hot spot and popular with locals and not just your standard hotel bar with all hotel guests sitting around.

As a tip, ask the bartenders for restaurant suggestions as they know much more about "hot spots."

• Stayed June 2005

819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

Just returned from a three night stay at The Topaz. I chose it based on reviews and pictures here at TripAdvisor and was not disappointed, but also was not knocked out. There was a 'smallness' to the place that I was not expecting - the lobby was tiny, the elevators held about 4 people max, and the vaunted free energy drink available in the mornings was about the size of an overgrown thimble. On the plus side, the staff was friendly and likely would have been very accomodating, except that we didn't need anything! The bed was super-comfy, the Aveda probducts a nice touch, as was the herbal tea and electric teapot, and it was very quiet up on the 6th floor. The location is wonderful and it is easy to get anywhere from DuPont Circle.

I recommend The Topaz but I wouldn't return if I had to pay full price. The weekend Hot Dates rate brought me in the first time and would be a requirement for me to go back.

• Stayed June 2005
Little Rhody, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

Stayed at the Topaz for three days in May. It was a great little hotel on a nice street and near some great restaurants in DuPont Circle. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The metro was a few minutes away and got us to all the places we wanted to go. It was in walking distance to many places we wanted to see. I would go there again in a heartbeat and would suggest it to anyone who would want to visit DC. If all the Kimpton hotels are like this one I would use them on all my vacations. Trip Advisor listed them as No.1 and that is why I went to this hotel. Thank You Trip Advisor. I will count on you for good advice from now on and have told all my friends about your site.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

We were very impressed with the Topaz Hotel. As a single mother travelling alone with 2 children, I always look for safe places to stay and this was excellent. The Topaz is on a beautiful tree lined street, the staff was welcoming and helpful. The room was true to the pictures on the web; very clean. This hotel is walking distance to all the sites - White House, the Mall, many Smithsonian museums. We walked everywhere and took cabs home at night to save our feet. I highly recommend this hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

Stayed for a weekend in early May - everything was as reviewed here - accomodations are fine, if a little unusual (note to conservatives, you may not like the decor). Staff was very friendly. We requested a room on a high floor and it was delivered. No problems with noise. Good location for getting to the metro, everything is just a few stops from DuPont Circle. If you can get a copy of the AAA Guide, the free parking coupon for the Topaz will save you about $50.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2005

I booked a room at the Topaz Hotel for a Saturday night of baseball and clubbing with friends from work and couldn't have made a better choice.
I was immediately impressed by the location. Down the block from the National Association of Broadcasters, Topaz is on quiet street in an area that can be a little hectic.
The front desk person was friendly and helpful and a colorfully-clad valet took good care of my car.
My room (705) was immaculate. I loved the decor. I also enjoyed the CD player tucked in the armoire and music selected by the hotel staff. Aveda products and great mirrors rounded out a luxurious and comfortable setting.
The scene in the lounge was fantastic. The staff there is efficient, approachable and impossibly good looking. Guests I met were easygoing and easy to talk to. My drinks were tasty.
Topaz isn't for everyone. It bills itself as a place for hipsters who want a hotel stay to be an event--and it succeeds. If you enjoy a little something out of the ordinary don't miss Topaz. It's a groovy place with very pleasant staff in a great part of town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2005

We stayed at the Topaz in early April. The location is great - quiet street, safe area, close to Dupont Circle and within walking distance of lots of DC attractions. We were able to walk to all the memorials and museums and to the restaurants without a problem.
One note: request an upper floor! The lobby has a bar that is pretty active at night and the lower floors seemed like they'd be pretty noisy. We stayed on a higher floor and had no problems.
The bed was great - massive, clean, nice comforter. Oh, how I love that bed! Our room was pretty big, too, larger than I'd expected. The bathroom was small but fine for a quick shower.
I liked the "hip" but not overdone look of the rooms. The photos posted on the website make the striped walls and all the bright prints look like a little too much. But in person, the decor is fine. Quite pretty, actually.
The furniture is a little run-down - chips here and there. But it was clean and fine, since we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.
I liked the staff. They were helpful and friendly.
All in all, we had a great experience and I will stay at the Topaz again.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!