“Couldn't have been treated nicer!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
central PA
“Couldn't have been treated nicer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here once before and I would definitely stay again. The hotel is so helpful and friendly and green! We were comp'd the $40/day parking because we had a hybrid. I LOVE this policy! The wine hour is a wonderful touch, and we even came late the one day and they still served us--so nice. My husband and I were visiting with my mother-in-law and we wanted her to feel special. The staff at Topaz didn't know this, but they did magnificent! The location is excellent as you are within a block of Dupont Circle happenings and within just a few blocks of the Metro. It also has a very nice neighborhood feel as opposed to some of the monstrosity cookie-cutter hotels. We did not do the morning breakfast as we wanted to venture out, but it looked fresh and tasty. The bar had a cool vibe and you could hang out there in your business attire or your casual day of sight-seeing digs. We would definitely stay again!

Green Features: Shampoos are in family size containers to cut down on waste (and pilfering!) which makes so much more sense. The best thing--we didn't have to pay for parking because we had a hybrid vehicle! Awesome!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear schussles,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how courteous the staff was to you. I am also happy that you were able to enjoy the Topaz Bar and that the location worked out so well for you.

We hope you will come see us a third time! Thanks again for taking the time to share how well your stay went.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Danville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I chose to stay at The Topaz because of vouchers that I had purchased from TravelZoo. The staff was super nice, the lobby decor is pretty cool and it's in a really great location. The room decor is nice, but I think use of space could've been better executed, especially with the dressing room being so big and the bathroom being so small. Also, the ex-closet turned chaise seating area should have remained as a closet. I thought it was cool that there was still a door that could connect rooms (I assume)...you don't see that much anymore.

I wish we had had a higher room (we were on the 2nd floor) for a better view. I didn't complain about it, but the air conditioning unit was insufficient. I burned up every night, but after walking all day I couldn't be bothered to request service. It blew cold air, but never cooled down the room. We ended up opening the windows, which I love to do anyway (glad it was an option).

My advice would be to research parking options before going. Parking there is convenient and valet, but you pay for it (over $40/night)! I'm not sure I would stay here again if I had to pay regular price, which is at least $250/night and over.

This hotel is also pet friendly with no additional fees.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jennifer A,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the sale that we were offering through Travelzoo.

I do apologize for the issue with the air conditioning in your guest room. I will certainly have that looked at ASAP. Thank you also for your comments regarding the guest room layout. I tend to agree with you that the space could have possibly been used better or differently.

We hope that you will come see us again. Please check out website as we offer discounts and promotions from time to time on there.

Boonton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Well sure you do...but free wine hour is a huge help. I stayed here with a friend who had a conference for work in the area. When researching where we would stay, the Topaz really just made so much sense for us. It was close to her venue, they give you free animal print robes, free wine hour, the rooms are so cute, it's centrally located to a lot of places, they have every amenity you could ever need, and it's pet friendly (not that we brought pets but we were hoping to see some).
Kimpton knows what's up, they empower their staff to put the guest first. Not just yea do what the guest wants and then we'll make you feel crappy about it later. Every single employee we encountered during our stay was incredibly helpful and just happy to be at work.
Our room was clean and cute. The bathroom is equipped with full size soaps so you don't have to deal with all those silly little bottles. I read a few previous reviews on other sites saying that there was not enough hot water or that the room was too cold. This was not the case for us...plenty of hot water, the room actually was too hot but we didn't try very hard to adjust the thermostat so no big deal. The windows open in the room too which is odd for hotels but very refreshing on the nice days. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone, we loved our stay here.
PS if you want, they'll bring you a goldfish for your room....

Room Tip: not sure exactly but we had a great room that overlooked N street? (avenue?) and the view was cute.
Green Features: full size bottle so no wasted silly little bottles of nonsense!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear tracy t,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really glad that you decided to stay with us and I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed everything. I am really happy that you found the staff to be so helpful and enjoyed the amenities so much.

We hope you will come see us again on your next trip!

Thanks again,
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

While visiting the DC area recently, I booked a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel. It was a very wonderful and relaxing experience. The staff in whole was very attentive and treated me like royalty. The decor was very chic and inviting. The staff always seemed to enjoy being there. It was very refreshing to see them always wearing a smile on their face. My room was very welcoming and clean. I wish that my bedroom was as such. While you are visiting, you get the impression that they really care about their guests. The hotel is within walking distance to everything you need. I appreciate them suggesting the hotel next door that has a wonderful restaurant with delicious food and very relaxing music for you to enjoy in the lounge area. I will definitely be staying at this hotel again and again.

Room Tip: Be sure to visit the hotel next door for dinner or breakfast brunch
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear sdkfour,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so excited to read how much you enjoyed your getaway and how well the staff took care of you and showed you how much they value our guests and how much you also enjoyed the location.

We certainly hope you will come back and see us again!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

A few friends and I stayed here for a night to enjoy an evening on the town. I really like the boutique feel of Kimpton hotels and Topaz was no different. Our room came with a king bed, a couch, a corner area with a desk, and a vanity area before stepping into the bathroom. I really enjoyed having some extra space so that us girls could get dressed and socialize without feeling cramped. There was a mini-fridge, but no microwave. I do wish that the iPod dock speakers were working, but I understand they disabled them due to noise complaints. The beds were comfy, the robes they provide for your stay are very nice (but hot), and staff was helpful. We did not use the bar downstairs, but it's decorated so nicely!

Being by Dupont Circle, it's very central to many things around the city, especially restaurants and evening venues. We walked right around the corner to eat/catch a cab/hit up a few bars. This also means parking can be hard to find and expensive... just beware! Valet is pricey, and street parking is tricky (do NOT neglect to read parking signs very carefully), so make sure you're prepared if you're driving.

We found a great deal on a hotel phone app, so I thought we got a great value for the room. Overall, I would return to this little gem!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Kristen N,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so glad that it worked out for you and your friends and you found the room so comfortable.

I am also really happy to hear that you enjoyed the location as well and it all worked out for you. Hopefully next time you will check out the bar while you are with us. The Mac and Cheese is out of this world!

We hope to have you back with us again soon.

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The staff at this hotel was really friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations and general hospitality. It seemed to be clean and very well managed. It's located in a nice, quiet neighborhood near Dupont Circle and a couple metro stations. The evening wine hour was enjoyable, and again, the service there was excellent. We had two rooms and they were both large and comfortable with pretty decor. We definitely want to return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear jwo3,

Thank you so much for your amazing review and comments from your recent stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear how much you and your family enjoyed everything. I am also delighted that you were able to take advantage of the wine hour and the location worked out so well for you.

We hope to see you and the famil again soon!

Thanks again,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Topaz is very centrally located in DC and has a couple of perks - complimentary wine at happy hour and large rooms but the service was not up to par with similar hotels I've stayed at.

We were woken up at 645am on a Saturday by housekeeping trying to deliver an iron, which easy enough to get rooms confused but frustrating and when we mentioned it to the front desk there were no apologies given. The bedding also looked like it was ready to be replaced and had some obvious holes. Upon leaving the hotel I also noticed I had left my phone charger. I called back to have it sent to me and asked the girl I spoke with at the desk that it not be mailed if over $10 (it's a phone charger after all) and later saw a bill for $32 from FedEx. I called the hotel to complain and the manager commented that 'I was telling him one story' and the girl at the desk who set up the delivery 'was telling another.' Again, no apologies, explanations, or follow up phone calls and definitely no attitude that the customer is right. While I'm at a loss for the $32 phone bill, I'm fairly discouraged from recommending this hotel based on the way the hotel handled the situation. Will likely not be choosing this hotel again when there are so many other options in the dc area.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Katie B,

Thank you so much for your feedback from your recent stay. Where I am glad that you enjoyed your guest room and the location worked out so well for you, I am equally as upset to hear that the service was so poor. I will certainly discuss the state of your bed and the sheets with our housekeeping team.

I would also like to get some more specifics on the situation with your FedEx package. Please reach out to me directly at ryan.cimei@topazhotel.com so I can see what I can do to rectify this for you.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Hope to hear from your soon,
Ryan Cimei

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!