“NOT A PLACE TO STAY” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“NOT A PLACE TO STAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I planned to stay several nights at this hotel, to unwind after my European trip. I was unpleasantly surprised by how old the whole building is. All they did to try to make this place sellable is glue new wall paper and give a fresh coat of paint. Everything looks very shabby and dingy. The lobby area is extremely small and the bar area is very dark and shabby with questionable breakfast. Very dissappointed and would not recommend for a stay. I moved out after one night to a different hotel as the place was just too depressing and unpleasant to stay in for several nights. Not sure why it has good reviews on tripadvisor. Usually tripadvisor is reliable for reviews but not in this case.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear AnnaK1275,

I am really sorry to hear about the poor experience that you had with us. I am sorry that the facilities and the breakfast were not to your liking and you felt the hotel was subpar. I assure you more than a coat of paint was put on the hotel to make it sellable. We pride ourselves in being a top hotel destination here in DC the delivers excellent service and accommodations in a prime location which is why our other travelers rate us so high. I am really sorry that you did not feel that way and enjoy your visit.

I hope that your next hotel was more to your liking and you got to enjoy DC during your visit and unwind while you were here after your European travels.

Wishing you a Happy Holiday.

Cheers,
Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

It is in the heart of DuPont Circle with many great dining places nearby.
The location is everything, as you can walk to the nearby attractions of Washington Monument and the White House.
Great staff, very clean spacious rooms. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fiona F,

Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so glad that the location worked out so well for you and you enjoyed your guest room and our team.

We hope to see you with us again soon. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Cheers,
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed at the Topaz but not the first of the Kimpton Hotels in DC. The hotel is located close to Dupont Circle in a very nice neighborhood. The lobby is non existent, a very bare bones little area. The staff was excellent, friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable but the bathroom was too small. After checking in I went downstairs to have dinner in the restaurant. It has a mediterranean casbah feel, the seats were mostly backless ottomans, it was close to empty, and after a long flight I did not feel like that kind of setting. The bartender was kind enough to offer to walk me down the block to another restaurant which turned out to be old time Washington, clubby and warm and very active.
That is the kind of service one comes to expect from a Kimpton property. As with the experience I had at the Madera Hotel on other visits, at the Topaz every one of the staff, from restaurant, to front desk, to one of their drivers who drove me to my destination when I could not get a cab, to housekeeping they were excellent. This is what would probably keep me coming back to this hotel chain.

Green Features: The Kimpton's do not use individual products, it is a good idea but sometimes not easy to use in the shower - located too high up, located right under the shower head, hard to pump. Friendly idea that is not well thought out.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear rebsol,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you generally enjoyed your time with us and found it to be a Kimpton experience. I am happy to see that the entire team took such good care of you and we hope to see you again.

Reno, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was a resident of DC for many years. I came for a visit to celebrate my birthday and was referred to this hotel through an offer from Jetsetter.com. To begin, the customer service was exceptional. From the moment I walked into the lobby, the front desk made me feel extremely welcome. They managed to get me early check in which was fantastic. Overall they were extremely friendly, professional and polished. I was so happy to be there. The room was enormous!!!!!!!!!!! It was very clean and comfortable. The General Manager Ryan introduced himself to me personally and was genuinely concerned that all my needs were being met. I shared it was my birthday and the first time with my boyfriend in DC. We returned to the room to find champagne and strawberries with a kind note. It blew my mind and touched my heart. The personal touch was really nice. I felt like a celebrity with all the attention. The property is so perfectly located. The staff TOP NOTCH!!!!!!!!!!! Kimpton has outdone themselves. I highly recommend this property and applaud the staff for their exceptional service.

Room Tip: the fitness rooms are ENORMOUS. The Yoga room had Yoga Mats and a private meditation area.
Green Features: VERY FRIENDLY!!! Recycling, opportuinty to keep sheets and towels instead of auto replacing.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Birgitta K,

Thank you for such an amazing review. I am so happy that you guys had such a good time and enjoyed your time so much. I am really happy that I got to meet you and set you guys up for such a great experience. You deserve to be treated like a celebrity, because you are when you stay with us!

We hope that you will choose to come back and see us again so we can create another awesome moment for you.

Thank you so much again and Happy Holidays!

Thanks,
Hod Hasharon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Tripadvisor's Jetsetter published a special deal for this hotel just as I was planning a trip to DC.
I made the reservation and couldn't have been happier.
This my second great experience with Kimpton Hotels. Keep it up, Kimpton!!!
The Topaz is a cozy and friendly boutique hotel located a couple of minutes from Dupont Circle.
The staff are extremely friendly and knowledgeable.
They came up with answers and great tips on every subject/question I raised.
I had a rental car which was whisked way to the valet parking (not free) till the following morning because everything is within walking distance (Even the White House....).
Being a Kimpton InTouch Loyalty member, I got free wifi and a 10$ bar credit which was nice.
The room was large, spotlessly clean, with a huge flat screen TV and all the amenities you need.
Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Loved it!!!!! Warmly recommended!!!!!

Room Tip: I didn't ask for anything special and the room was great. I "suspect" they are all gre...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Shaked007,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an amazing review of your stay with us. I am so happy that you found us and had such an outstanding experience.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the location, staff and property so much. We really hope to see you again.

Thank you and have a Happy Holiday!

Thanks,
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is the third Kimpton property we've stayed in and, while some areas weren't quite as luxurious as the others (Palomar in DC & Lorien in Alexandria, VA), the service here outshone both of those.

After our reservation, we had received an email from Ryan Cimei (the hotel's general manager) asking whether we were traveling for any special occasion, to which I replied that we were celebrating our anniversary as well as my husband's safe return from deployment. Assuming this was an automatically generated email, I expected perhaps a "happy anniversary" greeting, but nothing beyond that. Imagine our surprise upon check-in to receive a beautiful dessert plate with chocolate chip cookies, a flourless chocolate cake, sliced strawberries, and a bottle of sparkling wine! Best of all, there was a wonderfully personalized handwritten note from the staff which will serve as a permanent memento of our anniversary celebration.

The room itself was so unique, with multiple seating areas, nooks & crannies. Extremely large by DC standards, and with thoughtful touches that set the Kimpton properties apart from others.

Great location within easy walking distance to Dupont Circle, Farragut North & Farragut West Metro stations, as well as multiple shopping, dining & nightlife destinations.

For us, what sets this particular Kimpton property apart from others both within the chain & elsewhere, was the personal service. From the initial contact with the hotel, to the front desk staff, bartenders, housekeeping, everyone was wonderful. They all appeared to genuinely enjoy their jobs and one another. So refreshing, and it really made all the difference. We will definitely seek out the Topaz on our next visit to the city.

Thank you, Ryan & staff, for making this such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear wheres_my_calgon,

What can I say?! Thank you so much for posting such an amazing review from your recent stay. I am so happy that you guys had such a great time and the team took such amazing care of you.

We hope to see you for every anniversary coming up over and over and celebrate with you.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Excellent front counter staff. When we arrived they were having troubles with the computer system, but clearly communicated with us and provided us with a free breakfast voucher. The room was spacious and decorated nicely. The hotel was well located, close to local shopping facilities and restaurants and hop on hop off tourist buses. I would recommend this hotel to my friends/family.

The only reservation I have about this hotel was the standard of cleanliness. Whilst on the whole it was good, I noticed some lollies on the floor between the bed and the bed side table, from the previous guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Jane707,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and found the staff to be so kind and service oriented.

I do apologize about the small clealiness items in your room. Thank you for letting me know.

We hope to see you again soon!

Ryan Cimei

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!