“Actually dog friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Actually dog friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When we went out to dinner, we called down to the front desk to ask them if someone could check on our dog while we were out. One of the people at the front desk did so and was sensitive enough to see our dog was too nervous to go out with her, so she stayed with her for while and gave us a report when we got back. There was no charge for this on our bill!
The room was very nice and we even got the newspaper of our choice in the morning. This is definitely our new DC hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear SherylGle,

Thank you for your outstanding review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and one of our team took such great care of your dog. I am sorry to hear it was so nervous, I guess they just missed you guys.

We are excited to be your new DC hotel and can't wait to see you again.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is an old condo building that has been renovated. Fortunately, they kept some of the old charm from the building and this gives it some great details. Also, the rooms are on the large side and it was great to have some extra space. The hotel staff was fabulous and extremely friendly. The evening social hour was a great bonus and the wine glasses were filled generously. The bartenders were very helpful and made some great dining suggestions. Our only complaint was there was an A/C issue but the staff did their best to make things more comfortable. They were quick to bring up fans and Kenny, one of the managers, couldn't have been any more helpful and apologetic about the A/C situation. Parking is expensive, $43 for 24 hours so plan ahead for off site parking. Keep in mind all nearby garages close early on Sundays. Overall, it was a great place to stay.

Green Features: The A/C is motion activated so it does turn off while you are out or there is no movement in the room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Patricia A,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay. I am so sorry about the AC issue, it was unfortunate and we did our best to get it up as quickly as possible and I am happy to hear that Kenny was quick to react and assist.

I am glad to hear that you overall enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you on your next trip through DC.

nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had a last minute trip to DC and decided to take a chance on the Topaz. Other than the location, I thought the hotel was nice for the price. The room & bathroom were a good size and clean. The tv wasnt great though and the picture was a little cloudy. The people were nice at the front desk too. I probably wouldnt stay again because of the location, but it's a good hotel for last minuet trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear dancingdays8,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am glad that you overall enjoyed your visit and guest room and our staff. I do apologize about the TV reception, we have worked hard to improve it and it has come a long way, however I will certainly look into what happened with your room.

Thank you again!

Have a great day,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Close to everything in Dupont Circle including a very nice bistro next door. Staff was friendly and helpful as in all Kimptons and the room was spacious and comfortable. This is the 4th Kimpton in DC that I've experienced and it's a good as the rest. Great for a few quick days in the Capitol.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Klbster,

Thank you for your outstanding review of the Topaz. I am really glad to hear how much you enjoyed everything and what a fan you are of Kimpton here in DC.

You have 4 down, but you still have 4 to go! Or you can just stay with us since we are so awesome. Either way, we will take great care of you on your next trip. Hope to see you soon.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had spent the previous night in a tiny, cramped hotel room in Manhattan (that cost nearly twice as much as the Topaz) and couldn't believe the size of the room here. We had 2 queen beds with plenty of room in between, a large area with a desk, a walk in robe/dressing room and small, but very adequate bathroom, all of which added up to a feeling of spaciousness. The room was very quiet at all times.
The man on reception - Sam - was friendly and efficient. I needed to see a doctor and Sam arranged an appointment at a nearby clinic. (More about that later) he offered advice and help on each day if our visit and was a great asset for the hotel. All staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful. The happy hour was a big bonus and we ate dinner there one night. The food is really bar snacks (kabobs, dips and a few larger dishes) but it was good for a quick and easy dinner.
The hotel is a few minutes walk from the Hop on Hop off bus (yellow loop) and we walked down to the White House quite easily. There are plenty of casual dining restaurants in the next street.
Back to the medical clinic - the Medics USA Medical Centre on 17th St. The appointment was made at 2pm for 8pm that night. I told them I needed an ultrasound and asked if they could supply that. They said their doctor would refer me. They rang back at 7pm and cancelled the appointment and said I needed to attend the hospital. Meanwhile I had read the reviews of this clinic and they were generally poor. It was probably a good thing they cancelled. George Washington University Hospital was excellent. I was treated quickly and efficiently by both nursing and medical staff, had an ultrasound and was home in 3 hours. Back at the hotel Sam checked I was OK the next day and was responsive to the feedback on the clinic and the hospital.

Room Tip: Very happy with the queen queen room we had. It was at he back of the hotel and completely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Travelheaps15,

Thank you for your amazing review! I really appreciate the wonderful wind words and detail that you provided our future potential guests. I am really happy to hear about how much you enjoyed the hotel itself, your room, the lounge and the location.

More importantly, I am happy to hear what great and detailed care Sam took of you. He really is a wonderful asset to this property and shows great care and concern for our guests. I am happy to hear that you are OK and I am sorry to hear that you had such an unfortnate medical situation on your visit to DC.

I hope it did not put too much of a damper on your visit, again thank you for your kind words about your stay here at Topaz.

We hope to see you again.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The staff was outstanding - Sam at the front desk and Rick at the bar especially. Two bed room was L shaped with desk in one area. On a very quiet street but close to plenty of restaurants & shops within walking distance. My room overlooked the alley which was a bit noisy in the morning with garbage trucks so if you are a light sleeper, I suggest a room overlooking street. Close to YMCA which serves as hotel gym.

• Stayed June 2013
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ztabob,

Thank you for posting such a great review from your recent stay with us at Topaz. I am so happy to hear that Sam and Rick took such good care of you and you had such a nice time.

My apologies for the noise, overall this street is super quiet, the trash trucks being a minor exception and I am sorry it disrupted your sleep.

We hope to see you on your next visit. We will make sure you are in the front of the building.

Quito, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Location is great and the staff is also fantastic, really helpful! Rooms are quiet so you can get a good sleep. However, the sheets were kind of old (mine had several holes) and the hair dryer was not powerful at all, needs to be updated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Meri B,

Thank you for your great review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and the staff so much. I do apologize for the issues with the sheets and the hair dryer, we have purchased a great deal of new bed linen over the past few months, I will make sure we are discarding of the older stock, thank you for letting us know.

We hope that you will come see us again on your next trip.