“Great location, wonderful service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off parking!
Ranked #22 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Weehawken, New Jersey
“Great location, wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My partner and I spent a weekend in Washington DC recently and stayed at The Topaz. From the moment we walked in we felt welcomed and special. The location, near DuPont Circle was convenient -- right in the middle of everything. We enjoyed cocktails and dessert in the Topaz Bar and had a great time. Our room was easily one of, if not the largest we have ever had. We got an Energy King and enjoyed its amenities. But the best asset of the Hotel is the staff. To a person they were helpful, friendly and went out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The hotel does not have fitness facilities (although they do offer free guest passes to a nearby &qu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear ChrisandCarlos,

I am so happy to hear what a wonderful time you guys had with us at the Topaz. Looks like you really enjoyed yourselves and thank you so much for the kind words. Those Energy rooms really are nice and spacious and we are super lucky to have such a great team. Although its easy when you have great guests!

Thank you again so much for the great review. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip.

Thanks,

819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the Topaz this past weekend and once a few years ago. The hotel itself is in a very quaint location, located next door to the historic Tabard Inn, and not at all far from the White House and other famous Monuments on the Mall. The rooms at the Topaz are spacious and clean, and the robes are a funky zebra stripe! The mini bar has plentiful snacks and seem to be more reasonably priced than at larger chain hotels. Good, friendly, helpful customer service. I definitely plan to stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lisalisa0626,

Thank you so much for the outstanding review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Topaz so much and you enjoyed so many of our amenities including the robes and mini-bar.

I am happy to hear how well the staff took care of you also. We look forward to the chance to do it again. Hope to see you on your next trip to DC.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Topaz in the middle of April and really enjoyed the experience. From the warm and friendly greeting by the doorman to the check in staff, and Rick the Barman during cocktail and canapes hour, we felt welcomed and very much at home. We like the low key, down to earth, but always friendly and helpful manner of all the staff. Any time we left or returned to or from the hotel, we always received a warm greeting. A very good team.

Room Tip: We chose a corner room overlooking the street.
Dear ColinGToronto_Canada,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your experience and how well the desk team and Rick took care of you.

We can't wait to see you again so we can do it all over.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at Topaz for a couple of nights while visiting DC. The hotel is a couple of blocks from DuPont Circle so it is in a very nice and trendy part of DC.

Our room was very nice and overlooked N Street. The views of the brownstones was nice. The windows were big and across the entire room which allowed plenty of light into the room and really made it feel open and airy. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was nice. There isn't much room for toiletries by the sink since the countertop is small due to the modern sink.

The staff at the front desk was very friendly and welcoming. Definitely liked the Happy Hour they offer from 5 - 6pm in the Bar area which includes complimentary red and white wine and beer. They also have a some basic apps included. All in all a very nice touch. We purchased some additional apps and the food was very good. We also ate breakfast there (Continental) during our stay as we had free breakfast included with our stay. The choices were more than sufficient (bagels, pastries, breads, yogurts, granola, cereal, etc). A very nice way to start the day off. They even had complimentary bags to make your own trailmix to take out with you as a snack.

Another nice perk is that you can use their bikes to bike ride through the city. It is complimentary (loaned) and is great especially compared to how expensive it is to rent bikes through the bikeshare program or the inconvenience of having to bring your own bikes. Definitely worth taking advantage of this nice little perk.

They offer valet parking ($50/night) which is rather expensive. There is a much more affordable parking garage operated by PMI on M street between 17th and 18th that is only $22/night. It's a very short walk and will save you $28/night that you can put to better use, like food and booze!

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Topaz and would stay there again given the opportunity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear ThePhillyCritic,

Thank you for the outstanding review of your stay here at the Topaz. Looks like you really engrossed yourself in the Kimpton experience while you were with us. You are able to enjoy our breakfast, wine hour and bike program! That is awesome to see that you not only used them, but enjoyed them as well.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and the size of the and bed. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next trip to DC.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Service is terrible. Was expecting a retro kinda hotel but not so outdated... They need to seriously do an upgrade. Felt unsafe, only one fire exit in every floor. Was told that there's wifi, but you have to sign up and pay for it.Bottom line very poor customer service, not worth of the price we pay. The only upside that I could think of is the location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sorcor,

I am very sorry for the poor stay that you had with us. I am honestly somewhat surprised that you had such a poor experience and I was hoping to get some more information from you. The team here really prides itself on delivering top quality service to all of our guests and I am sorry that we did not deliver for you.

Just some minor clarificaitons on some of the items that you mentioned, the property underwent a full rooms and public area renovation only 2 years ago, so the product is still fairly new. Also, we do in fact have 2 fire exits on each floor, one on either side of the elevator. Wireless internet is in fact complementary if you sign up for our Kimpton In Touch loyalty program, which also entitles you to $10 off of your mini bar charges among other perks.

That all being said, I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience and I would like to get some more details if you are willing, please send them directly to me at ryan.cimei@topazhotel.com.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We got a great deal through Snique away and we took the queen/queen room. The location is excellent, the staff is outstanding!!! The service and the smiles are amazing, they really go out of the way to help you.
The hotel is charming and quirky, clean and quiet.
Great breakfast, great happy hour.
We will be back! Thank you guys!

Room Tip: The queen queen is nice and spacious
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Globetrotter25,

Thank you so much for the amazing review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so excited to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and how well the staff the staff took care of you. We are lucky to have a great crew here.

I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast as well, we just rolled out that menu and I am happy to hear that its being well received.

We can't wait to have you back with us again next time.

Thanks again,
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I typically like Kimpton hotels for their funky atmospheres. This one is tucked on a quiet street in Washington DC. I chose a yoga room out of curiosity. The bedroom was huge and It literally had a little meditation corner along with yoga mat & blocks. Also was an exercise bike by the TV. I loved waking up, doing yoga stretches, then hopping on my own exercise bike for a spin while watching TV. Great way to start day while on a business trip! Staff there was friendly. Free coffee/tea is lobby in morning. I arrived too late for wine party. Only downside was I noticed mold in my toilet so housekeeping could have been improved. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear 2travelingscientists,

First off your screen name for Tripadvisor is probably the coolest one I have seen to date, love it! Secondly, thank you so much for the amazing review of your stay here at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your time so much and the yoga room worked out so well for you. Sounds like you are a morning person, up and working out and stretching bright and early. Good for you! I do apologize for the minor houskeeping issue, I will follow up with my team to make sure the details are being really look at.

We hope to have you back with us on your next visit. Maybe you can get motivated for a morning workout. Haha.

Thanks again,
Ryan Cimei

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!