“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $10
Ranked #29 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked on Jetsetter and got a good rate, $677 total for 3 nights. The location is perfect, the decor of the hotel unique and the staff great. We joined the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program beforehand, online for free. That entitled us to free wi-fi, which worked well and a $10 coupon for the mini bar, which we didn't use. I would return here without question.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear upgraded,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am glad that you took advantage of the Kimpton In Touch program and found such a good value when booking your room.

We look forward to having you back with us.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Middlefield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great experience. The staff was wonderful and helpful. Located on a quiet street not far from DuPont Circle and a short walk to the Metro Red line. The daily wine tasting provided a relaxing experience after a long day exploring DC

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear PLSC76,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so happy to hear that you had such a great time and the location worked out so well for you. I am also super excited that you got to enjoy the wine hour, it really is a great way to end a long and busy day.

We can't wait to have you back with us!

Thanks again,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We loved the Topaz Hotel by Kimpton. Very classy, well-maintained, with excellent service. Felt European to us. When we arrived with our 4 year old, they upgraded us to a more spacious room withe 2 queen beds and a daybed tucked away in its own little alcove, which delghted our son. All this plus a dressing room and bathroom. Quite spacious! The wine reception was a nice touch. The only downside was the overpriced valet - nearly $50 a night with tax! But the staff helped us move our car to street parking on Saturday evening to avoid a second days charge. We loved the location in an upscale and residential section of Dupont Circle, yet still close to the Metro and area attractions. We will be back!

Dear Ctompkin,

I am so happy to hear what a great experience you had during your stay at the Topaz. Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your guest room so much and the location worked out so well for you. Regarding the price of parking, as you can imagine, parking space is at a premium here in this part of DC so we do our best to keep our prices competitive while managing our limited space.

We do hope that you will come see us again on your next trip! Thank you again for such a wonderful review.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

On arriving to the topaz we were warmly welcomed by really lovely front desk staff. Check in was smooth and our room was clean and welcoming. I read a few negative reviews so was unsure what to expect. We had a twin double bed room and found there to be plenty of space for all of us (2 adults, 2 children). The bathroom is small and simple, but there was a good size "dressing" area with table before you enter the bathroom. The location was great and on our first day we walked down 17th to the white house then onto the washington monument and MLK memorial. (We caught a taxi back as we were exhausted by that stage!) Once we got back to our room, the front desk staff had left the kids a welcome pack and some sweets and cookies which was so kind of them.... and with jet lag, at 5 in the morning we were happy to have some snacks to feed the kids!
THe hotel "Bar/ restaurant" didn't offer much, but next door was a fantastic restaurant called the talbard inn - we ate there twice and loved it both times. Staff really made this hotel stand out and we felt very welcomed by them each time we came in and out of the hotel, location was great and rooms were clean and comfortable. We did room service on one night and that was not too bad, but as the kids were too tired to go out it was great to have as an option (menu was simple however). TV could have offered more options. Overall our 4 night stay was enjoyed by all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear leileilondon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a great review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really excited to hear how much you enjoyed the staff and the kids enjoyed the snacks.

We are working on revamping the dinner menu at the bar as well as the room service menu. However, I am happy to hear that you did not have to go far to enjoy a good meal. Also, I don't blame you for cabbing back from that walk down to the monuments, one way walking is usually enough.

We hope you choose the Topaz on your next trip to DC as well.

omaha, ne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I LOVE Kimpton Hotel's--but this property made me sad--I read from the hotel website that it had huge renovations--and many of the reviewers made many great comments so I chose to stay here. It is pretty close to our son in Georgetown and was near DuPont and metro-all very convenient. We were not disappointed with check in-friendly staff-what made it inconvenient was the bathroom plug-in by the sink=-after trying to use it the first morning-it wouldn't work-so I told the staff when we left for the day that they might want to check it--obviously it took 3 times to have it kinda fixed-COMMUNICATION -they said the whole socket needed to be fixed--it dangled and they would have to take the wallpaper down to fix it so be gently when removing the plug from the socket. I thought this was a huge renovation--and the socket comes away from the wall and it takes 3 time for them to tell me that it has issues--for the $$$$ you pay this shouldn't happen. I want to thank Sam Campell for trying to remedy this situation-we appreciated the bottle of wine but I wanted the hotel to be awesome--and this was annoying-you needed to do more-this made me upset that we weren't worthy enough to get it fixed on day one!!!. The only other suggestion would be to change up the tater tots for wine time--really--can't think of anything else??? Also, when it was manager's night no one spoke to me except to ask me what kind of wine I would like--no conversation???? like how is our stay-how are you doing???

Dear libbie5,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am sorry to hear about the troubles you had with your guest room and the lack of service at wine hour. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, we will certainly look into them and correct them immediately.

We hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to DC as I assure you this is not a normal experience for our guests.

Edina, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Topaz for 4 nights the first week of April. It is a great little boutique hotel located on a very nice, quiet residential street. The decor is sort of a strange Moroccan vibe but the rooms are large, clean and quiet. We loved the location within easy walking distance to great shops and restaurants on Dupont Circle. Actually, an easy walk to the White House and even Georgetown. We had omelets every morning and they were delicious, fairly priced and quite a bit of food. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't have any drinks at the bar but did have drinks at the Tabard Inn next door. We loved the bar there. Very small but a great atmosphere.

Dear nordahl44,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so excited to hear that you had such a nice time and were able to get around the city so easily. With all that walking, hopefully you had on comfortable shoes.

I am also super happy to hear that you enjoyed your omelets at breakfast, we just added those items to the menu, so it is great to hear that they are being well received.

We hope to have you back with us on your next trip to DC.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Topaz definitely met my expectations of a Kimpton property during my stay. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful in any and every way. I had occasion to inquire about the fridge in my room and was impressed (if unsurprised) by their speed in addressing the issue and following up with me. The property itself is extremely well-located, clean, and comfortable; the room was much larger than I would have expected! I did have some issues with the television; grainy reception made it difficult to watch most channels, which was odd. I was not in the room long enough for this to be an issue, so I didn't mention it to the staff but have every confidence that they would have resolved the issue if I had. I travel to DC regularly on business and suspect that Topaz will become my go-to hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear LaurenandRyan,

Thank you so much for the amazing review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your guest room and how well the staff took care of you. As you noticed, we are currently working through some issues with TV signal, but we hope to have that taken care of ASAP.

We look forward to hopefully being your hotel of choice on your travels to DC.

Ryan Cimei

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!