“Very welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“Very welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

On arriving to the topaz we were warmly welcomed by really lovely front desk staff. Check in was smooth and our room was clean and welcoming. I read a few negative reviews so was unsure what to expect. We had a twin double bed room and found there to be plenty of space for all of us (2 adults, 2 children). The bathroom is small and simple, but there was a good size "dressing" area with table before you enter the bathroom. The location was great and on our first day we walked down 17th to the white house then onto the washington monument and MLK memorial. (We caught a taxi back as we were exhausted by that stage!) Once we got back to our room, the front desk staff had left the kids a welcome pack and some sweets and cookies which was so kind of them.... and with jet lag, at 5 in the morning we were happy to have some snacks to feed the kids!
THe hotel "Bar/ restaurant" didn't offer much, but next door was a fantastic restaurant called the talbard inn - we ate there twice and loved it both times. Staff really made this hotel stand out and we felt very welcomed by them each time we came in and out of the hotel, location was great and rooms were clean and comfortable. We did room service on one night and that was not too bad, but as the kids were too tired to go out it was great to have as an option (menu was simple however). TV could have offered more options. Overall our 4 night stay was enjoyed by all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear leileilondon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a great review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really excited to hear how much you enjoyed the staff and the kids enjoyed the snacks.

We are working on revamping the dinner menu at the bar as well as the room service menu. However, I am happy to hear that you did not have to go far to enjoy a good meal. Also, I don't blame you for cabbing back from that walk down to the monuments, one way walking is usually enough.

We hope you choose the Topaz on your next trip to DC as well.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
omaha, ne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I LOVE Kimpton Hotel's--but this property made me sad--I read from the hotel website that it had huge renovations--and many of the reviewers made many great comments so I chose to stay here. It is pretty close to our son in Georgetown and was near DuPont and metro-all very convenient. We were not disappointed with check in-friendly staff-what made it inconvenient was the bathroom plug-in by the sink=-after trying to use it the first morning-it wouldn't work-so I told the staff when we left for the day that they might want to check it--obviously it took 3 times to have it kinda fixed-COMMUNICATION -they said the whole socket needed to be fixed--it dangled and they would have to take the wallpaper down to fix it so be gently when removing the plug from the socket. I thought this was a huge renovation--and the socket comes away from the wall and it takes 3 time for them to tell me that it has issues--for the $$$$ you pay this shouldn't happen. I want to thank Sam Campell for trying to remedy this situation-we appreciated the bottle of wine but I wanted the hotel to be awesome--and this was annoying-you needed to do more-this made me upset that we weren't worthy enough to get it fixed on day one!!!. The only other suggestion would be to change up the tater tots for wine time--really--can't think of anything else??? Also, when it was manager's night no one spoke to me except to ask me what kind of wine I would like--no conversation???? like how is our stay-how are you doing???

Dear libbie5,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am sorry to hear about the troubles you had with your guest room and the lack of service at wine hour. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, we will certainly look into them and correct them immediately.

We hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to DC as I assure you this is not a normal experience for our guests.

Edina, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Topaz for 4 nights the first week of April. It is a great little boutique hotel located on a very nice, quiet residential street. The decor is sort of a strange Moroccan vibe but the rooms are large, clean and quiet. We loved the location within easy walking distance to great shops and restaurants on Dupont Circle. Actually, an easy walk to the White House and even Georgetown. We had omelets every morning and they were delicious, fairly priced and quite a bit of food. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't have any drinks at the bar but did have drinks at the Tabard Inn next door. We loved the bar there. Very small but a great atmosphere.

Dear nordahl44,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at the Topaz! I am so excited to hear that you had such a nice time and were able to get around the city so easily. With all that walking, hopefully you had on comfortable shoes.

I am also super happy to hear that you enjoyed your omelets at breakfast, we just added those items to the menu, so it is great to hear that they are being well received.

We hope to have you back with us on your next trip to DC.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Topaz definitely met my expectations of a Kimpton property during my stay. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful in any and every way. I had occasion to inquire about the fridge in my room and was impressed (if unsurprised) by their speed in addressing the issue and following up with me. The property itself is extremely well-located, clean, and comfortable; the room was much larger than I would have expected! I did have some issues with the television; grainy reception made it difficult to watch most channels, which was odd. I was not in the room long enough for this to be an issue, so I didn't mention it to the staff but have every confidence that they would have resolved the issue if I had. I travel to DC regularly on business and suspect that Topaz will become my go-to hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear LaurenandRyan,

Thank you so much for the amazing review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your guest room and how well the staff took care of you. As you noticed, we are currently working through some issues with TV signal, but we hope to have that taken care of ASAP.

We look forward to hopefully being your hotel of choice on your travels to DC.

Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Thirteen members of our family stayed here for a family wedding. There were also another 20 or more wedding party members, family and friends staying here for several days. All of my family felt it was one of the best hotel experiences we have had. I did not hear any negative word from any of the other folks either. The best part was the very personal service from staff who remembered my name, were very well-informed about local directions and recommendations, and were sincere warm individuals! They even had hula hoops in the lobby for the children during the weekend! Loved it and will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear CJD454,

Wow! What an outstanding review of your family's time here at the Topaz. I cannot thank you enough for the amazing kind words. I am so happy to hear that the team took such great care of you all and that everyone had such a nice time.

Weddings are always a fun and joyous occasion, and I am glad that we could help to add to the fun atmosphere and vibe.

We hope you have someone else get married in DC so we can do it again!

Thanks again,
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Our room at the Topaz was a good size and comfortable. The soundproofing in the hotel is very good. We never heard any noise from another room. All of the employees we encountered were helpful and polite. The location near Dupont Circle was what we expected, with a very short walk to the metro.
We are Kimpton in touch members and have high expectations that have been met at the New York Kimptons we've stayed at. Therefore, we were not happily surprised to find that there was a good sized hole in a sheet that we discovered after we were in bed. We requested the linens be changed the next day which they were, but ... We also have a paper delivered to our room as in touch members. This did not happen one day of our stay. When I was at the front desk I noticed a large stack of papers behind the desk. Apparently, they never delivered them to the rooms. In other words, although we would stay here again, there was not as much attention to detail as at other hotels in this group.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear siva2,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you overall enjoyed your stay and you found the staff helpful. I am also glad that you were not disturbed by any noise from the hallways or other guests.

I do want to apologize for the issue with the sheet and the inconsistencies in the service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will certainly look into where the breakdowns were.

We hope you will come see us again and thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton hotels.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I absolutely loved staying in this hotel. For an adorable boutique hotel in a fun neighborhood, it is very affordable and offers up a lot of cute touches that set it above and beyond. The front desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and the room was spotless with a ridiculously comfortable bed. The toiletries in the bathroom are high quality, and if you're a Kimpton member you get a $10 credit towards the minibar. There is also a wine and cheese happy hour reception every afternoon. We skipped the breakfast, but it looked pretty good, and they have frequent website promotions that include free breakfast with the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Emily K,

I really can't thank you enough for your oustanding review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am so happy to hear how much fun you guys had and how well you enjoyed your guest room, the service and the perks such as the wine hour and mini bar credit. Next time all you have to do is make sure you enjoy breakfast!

Thank you very much again, its always a great way to start a day to read about how much fun someone had staying with us.

We can't wait to have you back next time.