“Good location, great staff, three and a half stars experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $10
Ranked #28 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Canada
“Good location, great staff, three and a half stars experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Like most Kimptons the staff was great. Location was also a bonus. You can tell that this is a renovated apartment building. Narrow hall ways and small public areas. Stayed with my two nephews who have become Kimpton fans. We were kind of disturbed to find a two week old container of mouldy potato salad in the in-room fridge. Not my favourite Kimpton, but good if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear scollinson79,

Thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you and your nephews had such a nice time with us. I am however extremely embarrased and sorry about the issue with the item in the minibar. Please accept my apology, I assure you that it was an isolated incident and not by any means a frequent occurence.

We hope to see you guys on your next trip here to DC.

Ryan Cimei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The front desk staff were friendly and inviting on a cold, rainy evening in DC. Without being prompted, they provided suggestions for dinner, directions, printed my boarding pass and made me feel incredibly special even though I was in town for just one night.

The rooms were spacious and clean, although regulating the room temperature was a challenge.

I've stayed in other Kimpton properties and would certainly put this one near the top.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Phil R.

Thank you for the great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am really happy that the staff took such great care of you and you had such a nice time.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to DC.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

It's on the smaller side, but the hotel was nicely decorated and the room was comfortable.
Convenient location nearby attractions, restaurants, and convenient stores.
Staffs were nice and helpful. Valet parking fee of 40 for overnight was too much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear janice282,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review of your recent stay at the Topaz. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the staff took such good care of you and the location worked out so well for you.

Regarding the parking, we do our best to keep our pricing on par with the other local hotels and garages as parking space in this area of the city are at a premium.

We hope that you will come back and see us again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I always enjoy the Topaz. The staff s very accommodating and friendly and the rooms are comfortable. The one thing to note, for many people is that here are stairs in the lobby to get to the elevator. Be sure to join Kimpton in touch. It's free and if you join, (a) you get free Internet, (b) you get a $10 for the minibar (and they have good juice and stuff) and (c) you sometimes get great offers in the email.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room here
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Sofiastayshome,

Thank you for the outstanding review of your stay at the Topaz. We are all so happy that you had such a great time during your stay.

Thank you also for letting other travelers know about the 4 stairs from the lobby up to the elevator bank, we do have a lift for those that need assistance getting up and down these stairs and we also always have someone in the lobby to assist with luggage and strollers and things that may require some lifting assistance.

I am so excited that you joined Kimpton in Touch, it really is a no brainer, free wireless, free snacks and the deals that you get at Kimpton Hotels all over the country just for signing up.

We can't wait to have you come back and stay with us again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Now that I've stayed at the Topaz, I think I've stayed at almost all of the Kimpton properties in Washington DC proper. I would put this one near the top, especially considering the deal I got.

Check-in was efficient, although the valet parking prices are getting a little ridiculous, $41 per night (the Tabard hotel next door was advertising $25 per night). When I checked in, the staff gave me a heads up that there was a marathon the next morning, and provided me with a map of how to avoid the route.

Like the room I had at the Rouge, it was absolutely huge (I'm not sure who even needs such large rooms to be honest). It was clean and stylish, a little understated for a Kimpton room, but that's not a terrible thing as it still felt quite modern. I still think it's lame that DC area Kimptons have pumps of soap instead of the typical disposable shampoos, etc... but it's green I guess.

The bar wasn't great at this property, it's on the small side and when I went down there no bartender was to be seen. Also the mini-bar was turned off or not working, so I had warm beverages (make sure you signup for Kimpton's reward program so you get $10 free from the mini bar).

The location is great for someone like me who pretty much walks every where in the city. I had a meeting in Chinatown and the walk was quite nice. That said, it's not super close to a metro station, so if you have a ton of bags from the airport you may want to hail a cab.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear ry0ohki,

Thank you both for your great review of your stay at the Topaz, but also your amazing loyalty to the DC Kimpton properties.

I am glad that you had a good experience with us but I do want to apologize for the minor issues that you experienced with the mini bar and the lack of service in the bar. As I am sure you can appreciate based on your other experiences, these are not normal occurences and I am very sorry that they happened during your stay.

All in all I am happy that you had such a nice time and we look forward to having you come back with us on your next stay in DC.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

An absolutely huge room, enormous bed and very centrally located. A 5 min walk to both the Dupont Circle and Farragut North metro stops on the red line makes this location ideal. Kimpton hotels are generally really good, and Topaz is no exception. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such an awesome review of your trip to the Topaz. I am so glad that you enjoyed the guestroom and location so much and were able to make the most of your trip to DC.

We look forward to having you back with us on your next trip.

Ocean View, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Recently stayed here in February amd really enjoyed it. Usual friendly Kimpton staff and great location in Dupont Circle. Wine hour was very nice and went to a great Sushi restaurant around the corner recommended by the bartender! I am a Kimpton convert, heading to NYC next week to stay at the Muse. The Hotels are always consistent! It certainly takes the guesswork out of where to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear denise531415,

Thank you for the amazing review of your stay at the Topaz. I am so excited that you had such a great time and enjoyed the team and the hotel so much and were able to enjoy wine hour as well.

I am sure that the Muse delivered a great experience as well. We look forward to having you back with us or at your next adventure to another Kimpton Hotel.

Ryan Cimei

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!