“Free wine, friendly staff, good location” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #25 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Blacksburg, Va
“Free wine, friendly staff, good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was my first Kimpton Hotel but I will certainly try others and I will definitely return to the Topaz. Room was fairly large and included an alcove with a desk that kept my computer and business out of the way. The bed and pillows were good. The room was quiet. The bathroom was a little tight but that was about the only thing that "dated" the room at all. Located on "embassy row" the neighborhood was nice; close to the Metro and duPont Circle. The "restaurant" was also the bar but the food was good and the staff attentive. In the evening there was free wine - no tickets, no limits - your glass never got empty unless you wanted to stop. Great little pub next door. Parking was a personal best - $41 a night for valet and there was no self parking. The staff was superb. Friendly and efficient. Learned your name quickly and recognized you coming in and out. The only problem was that it has a few steps up to the level with the elevator and the entrance to the bar. There was a lift for wheelchairs but if you had a little trouble with steps and didn't want the hoopla of the lift, it caused some effort. I would come again without question.

Room Tip: I was across from the elevator and had no problem with noise. I was also on the street and it was qu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hello John,

Thanks for this awesome review! It's great to read that we took great care of you and you loved the hotel. I couldn't agree with you more about the neighborhood and about the Tabard next door. It's one of my favorite places nearby. Stop in for a visit the next time you're in the area.

Donte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We'd never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before, but they've looked nice, so we tried this one out in Washington, DC. Its about a $20 cab ride from Reagan airport and close enough to the Metro that we used it for the return trip to the airport.

We checked in around 6:45pm and were told we had a few minutes to get a free class of wine in the bar. This happened every night between 5-7, which was a nice amenity. The bar was quite busy on Saturday night although empty on Sunday night.

The lobby is very small and you have to walk up several steps to get to the elevators or bar area. We liked that the hotel was advertised as pet-friendly - although we didn't bring a pet.

The Topaz looks as if it was built in the 60s or 70s and has been remodeled in part to be high style and boutiquey. The room itself was very large with big windows overlooking N street. It was decorated in a very eclectic way with a comfortable large bed, a sofa, many unique unmatching lamps, a room outside the bathroom, a safe and a desk located in a side nook. The decor struck as a little unusual since nothing really matched, but it was kind of fun and ultimately it all worked together.

Thes are the things we really liked about the Topaz Hotel:
- The location: its a short few blocks to Dupont Circle with lots of restaurants and shops. We ate all of our meals in the area.
- The animal print bathrobes - they were warm and made us smile
- A fridge (minibar) that had room for us to keep our juice cold
- The size of the room - it was huge
- The staff: very friendly, willing to give us a late check-out until 1:30pm and printed our boarding passes
- Real glasses in the bathroom (not plastic) and wine glasses in the room

These were the things that could have been better:
- The bathroom: it attempted to be modern with a sink mounted on top of the cabinet, but the rest of the bathroom was small and either not updated or not remodeled well. The bathtub seemed to have an overlay placed on an original tub. We only noticed it because it was squishy (not solid) to stand on for a shower. The shampoo and soap were mounted in the shower. It was difficult to get in and out of the shower because the toilet was right next to it. In addition, the door to the bathroom appeared to be original and was pretty scuffed up.
- The hallway to the room: it was all in beige with some type of elaborate moldings on each door from some other era. It looked nothing like the rooms.
- Breakfast: We chose to eat in the bar for breakfast on our last day. We ordered eggs instead of the continental breakfast. It was less expensive, but took a long time and wasn't prepared as we had asked. Continental would have been a better choice.

Although the bathroom was a negative, the room and location were winners. We'd probably stay here again.

Hi baileyfirestone,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on Tripadvisor. It's great to hear that your experience was an enjoyable one. Many of your observations are spot on! The building was originally an apartment building in the 50s. It's, of course, been completely redone multiple times since. But, we've retained a few of the charming elements of the past. The crown molding is the most noticeable. I'm sorry about the egg snafu and the tub liner. We'll find and address it immediately.

Hope to have you back soon!

sherwood park, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a nice, contemporary hotel with good sized rooms (for DC), quiet surroundings (yet very close to Connecticut Ave shops and restaurants), about one block from the Dupont Circle metro stop which makes getting around quite convenient. We had a room facing the street, and did not have much of a problem with noise as the road quiets down in the early evening,

The staff here are extremely friendly, and go out of their way to assist you. My wife had reserved a cab to go off to an important appointment. It was a cold and slightly snowy morning, so someone scooped her cab. They not only sent someone out right away to get another one, but had them stand guard (in his shirtsleeves despite the bitter cold winds) to make sure that nobody else got the second cab. My wife made her appoinment on time.

What more could you ask for....

Hi howho,

Thanks for the great review! It's great to read that our service what sets us apart. Our team works really hard at it. It's that much better when it all works out. We're glad your wife made it to her appointment on time. Feedback like this goes a long way.

Bloomfield, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We've stayed at 3 Kimpton hotels in D.C., and this one had by far the friendliest, most efficient staff. They were so nice to our dogs, and welcoming to us. Room Service food was fabulous. We got a great package and an extremely reasonable price. Bed really comfortable. There were indeed fewer amenities at this hotel, but it is a smaller hotel for Kimpton, and the quality is no less. We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello Susan,

Thanks for the awesome review! It's always special to hear that we've outdone our brothers and sisters at the other Kimpton Hotels in DC. I'm not saying it's a competition and I'm not saying that it isn't (it is). But, if this review gets copied and pasted into an email and then sent to the GMs of our other hotels I wouldn't have a problem with that (I'm probably going to do that).

Thanks again for the review,

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The bedding and the bathroom were clean and comfortable but I did miss the lack of amenities even though I booked knowing that there weren't many. I liked the layout of the room: there was a small room/area leading to the bathroom that was perfect for toiletteries and such. Also, and this is probably specific to only our room, our bed squeaked every time I got up to go to the washroom.
The staff were polite and professional.
The hotel bar was not the sort of thing I thought it would be. I had assumed the hotel was a more modern boutique hotel yet it hasn't quite hit that mark (which I think it was aspiring to be) and yet it wasn't sumptuous old-world class either.
The location was perfect for me as I had business meetings in the area; however on the weekend we walked to the Capital in about 20 minutes so it's not bad for sightseeing. Having said this there are closer hotels near to the Mall if that is your main purpose of travel.
The hotel is also extremely close to shops on Connecticut which came in handy as I forgot to pack a pair of black slacks which I needed the next day. I found a pair on super discount at the nearby Anne Taylor shop.
All in all, I can't complain, particularly as the room rate was more than reasonable. It's just that I had different "boutique" expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hello salzetta,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall and found our rooms comfy and our location convenient for both work and sightseeing. I was disappointed to read that we didn't quite fit your expectations. However, I truly appreciate the feedback.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel is on a quiet street amidst the buzzling Washington DC streets. Quiet location!!! You don't hear a noise at night.
Very spacious hotel room. Bed was extremely comfortable.
Room would have been great also to share with kids since there was a "sleep nook" in the room with a couch bed and a curtain for privacy.
Loved the eliptical exercise machine in the room!
Bathroom was nice too, but is small.
Very convenient location to walk to White House (approx. 15 minutes casual walk) and all the museums, Metro stations, restaurants etc...
Staff was very friendly.
Breakfast was ok. Coffee is complimentary. Everything else you can buy (from bagels, pastries, toast, cereal or a made to order breakfast). Prices are pretty fair.

I definitely would come back and stay at this hotel.

Hi seekAdventures,

Thank you for this great review! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our Energy Rooms are very spacious. I always feel better about working out when the equipment is right there in the room. Come back in for a visit the next time you're in town.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very nice boutique hotel, ideal for business. Comfortable bed and spacious room, bathroom nice too. Front desk was efficient. I didn't try room service but there are a lot of great restaurants one block West. Only thing getting in the way of 4 stars is the lack of a workout room. They have an arrangement with the Y a block away but it is not open late. Hard to make it after a long meeting.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room near the elevator/ice machine, it got noisy.
Hello Erins_Travels,

Thanks for posting a review of your experience at Topaz here on Tripadvisor. I applaud your commitment to fitness. I know how hard it can be to muster up the energy to get a solid workout in after a long day of work. It's tough not having a fitness center in the hotel. We do have a couple of alternatives that are available to our guests. As you mentioned, there's the Y a block away. It's a 6 story facility with everything one could imagine. I play basketball, lift weights, run, and take all sorts of classes here. But, it does close at 10p. So, if late night exercise is what you're looking for we have Energy Rooms at the hotel. These upgraded rooms have fitness equipment right there inside. They're ideal for squeezing the workout in at any time throughout the day.

Thanks again for the review.

Donte

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!