“extremely courteous staff take this place up a notch” 5 of 5 stars

Morning Glory
Ranked #45 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
sherwood park, Alberta
“extremely courteous staff take this place up a notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a nice, contemporary hotel with good sized rooms (for DC), quiet surroundings (yet very close to Connecticut Ave shops and restaurants), about one block from the Dupont Circle metro stop which makes getting around quite convenient. We had a room facing the street, and did not have much of a problem with noise as the road quiets down in the early evening,

The staff here are extremely friendly, and go out of their way to assist you. My wife had reserved a cab to go off to an important appointment. It was a cold and slightly snowy morning, so someone scooped her cab. They not only sent someone out right away to get another one, but had them stand guard (in his shirtsleeves despite the bitter cold winds) to make sure that nobody else got the second cab. My wife made her appoinment on time.

What more could you ask for....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hi howho,

Thanks for the great review! It's great to read that our service what sets us apart. Our team works really hard at it. It's that much better when it all works out. We're glad your wife made it to her appointment on time. Feedback like this goes a long way.

Thanks again,

Donte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Bloomfield, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We've stayed at 3 Kimpton hotels in D.C., and this one had by far the friendliest, most efficient staff. They were so nice to our dogs, and welcoming to us. Room Service food was fabulous. We got a great package and an extremely reasonable price. Bed really comfortable. There were indeed fewer amenities at this hotel, but it is a smaller hotel for Kimpton, and the quality is no less. We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello Susan,

Thanks for the awesome review! It's always special to hear that we've outdone our brothers and sisters at the other Kimpton Hotels in DC. I'm not saying it's a competition and I'm not saying that it isn't (it is). But, if this review gets copied and pasted into an email and then sent to the GMs of our other hotels I wouldn't have a problem with that (I'm probably going to do that).

Thanks again for the review,

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The bedding and the bathroom were clean and comfortable but I did miss the lack of amenities even though I booked knowing that there weren't many. I liked the layout of the room: there was a small room/area leading to the bathroom that was perfect for toiletteries and such. Also, and this is probably specific to only our room, our bed squeaked every time I got up to go to the washroom.
The staff were polite and professional.
The hotel bar was not the sort of thing I thought it would be. I had assumed the hotel was a more modern boutique hotel yet it hasn't quite hit that mark (which I think it was aspiring to be) and yet it wasn't sumptuous old-world class either.
The location was perfect for me as I had business meetings in the area; however on the weekend we walked to the Capital in about 20 minutes so it's not bad for sightseeing. Having said this there are closer hotels near to the Mall if that is your main purpose of travel.
The hotel is also extremely close to shops on Connecticut which came in handy as I forgot to pack a pair of black slacks which I needed the next day. I found a pair on super discount at the nearby Anne Taylor shop.
All in all, I can't complain, particularly as the room rate was more than reasonable. It's just that I had different "boutique" expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hello salzetta,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience here on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall and found our rooms comfy and our location convenient for both work and sightseeing. I was disappointed to read that we didn't quite fit your expectations. However, I truly appreciate the feedback.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel is on a quiet street amidst the buzzling Washington DC streets. Quiet location!!! You don't hear a noise at night.
Very spacious hotel room. Bed was extremely comfortable.
Room would have been great also to share with kids since there was a "sleep nook" in the room with a couch bed and a curtain for privacy.
Loved the eliptical exercise machine in the room!
Bathroom was nice too, but is small.
Very convenient location to walk to White House (approx. 15 minutes casual walk) and all the museums, Metro stations, restaurants etc...
Staff was very friendly.
Breakfast was ok. Coffee is complimentary. Everything else you can buy (from bagels, pastries, toast, cereal or a made to order breakfast). Prices are pretty fair.

I definitely would come back and stay at this hotel.

Hi seekAdventures,

Thank you for this great review! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our Energy Rooms are very spacious. I always feel better about working out when the equipment is right there in the room. Come back in for a visit the next time you're in town.

Thanks again,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very nice boutique hotel, ideal for business. Comfortable bed and spacious room, bathroom nice too. Front desk was efficient. I didn't try room service but there are a lot of great restaurants one block West. Only thing getting in the way of 4 stars is the lack of a workout room. They have an arrangement with the Y a block away but it is not open late. Hard to make it after a long meeting.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room near the elevator/ice machine, it got noisy.
Hello Erins_Travels,

Thanks for posting a review of your experience at Topaz here on Tripadvisor. I applaud your commitment to fitness. I know how hard it can be to muster up the energy to get a solid workout in after a long day of work. It's tough not having a fitness center in the hotel. We do have a couple of alternatives that are available to our guests. As you mentioned, there's the Y a block away. It's a 6 story facility with everything one could imagine. I play basketball, lift weights, run, and take all sorts of classes here. But, it does close at 10p. So, if late night exercise is what you're looking for we have Energy Rooms at the hotel. These upgraded rooms have fitness equipment right there inside. They're ideal for squeezing the workout in at any time throughout the day.

Thanks again for the review.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the inauguration and it was great! The day/evening staff very nice! Candice , Kelly , and Richard are just a few of the staff that made the stay very comfortable and enjoyable! We stayed right across from the elevator which we loved ! Had a great view and great location! Only thing was the parking which is understandable in dc! Would recommend and def would stay again and I didn't particularly find the late night staff friendly and as helpful! This was the staff around 12 am...not very tentative with our valet situation and even brought the wrong car! But they did apologize for the wait! Other than that i give the hotel 2 thumbs up! Even got a ten dollar mini bar credit!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
rcimei, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Awilliams10,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a great review of your stay at the Topaz. I am happy to hear that the team took such good care of you.

I do apologize for the valet mix up. I assure you that is not a common occurence here with our team.

We hope to see you again!

Ryan Cimei
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review is a bit overdue . Took my 9 yr old niece to DC back in August to experience the WH, museums, etc. This hotel was fantastic, as expected with Kimpton properties. The staff was friendly and courteous. The room was spacious...there was a very cute alcove/ sitting area that my niece loved...that's where she wanted to sleep. Bed very comfy. Location close to Dupont Circle. Kimpton InTouch membership provided free wi-fi, $1 continental breakfast, raid the mini-bar etc. Cool animal- print bathrobes-- they even provided a child- size version for my niece. And they can provide a goldfish to keep you company if you want. I never had too much luck with goldfish in the past, so we declined. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear bucchick,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, even if it was delayed. We always love hearing how much fun our guests had with us.

I am really excited that you and your neice had such a great time at the Topaz. Next time you have to ask for a goldfish, we promise you will have good luck with it this time.

We hope to see you guys again!

Ryan Cimei

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!