“Very Welcoming Hotel In Washington DC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
jmargaux
“Very Welcoming Hotel In Washington DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family stayed at the Topaz a few weeks ago while visiting Washington. This was my second stay at a Kimpton Hotel and I have to admit I am a fan of their somewhat quirky but luxurious approach to hospitality done at a competitive price. The Topaz is a very charming Boutique hotel. The front desk staff were very helpful and very welcoming. I wish we could have stayed longer to so we could have tried their restaurant off their lobby. We enjoyed a continental style breakfast there the morning before our departure. The manager circulated from table to table making sure everything was fine, and we all appreciated her effort. We are a family of four were comfortable in their double queen room. My only complaint is that the price of the overnight valet was a bit steep, $41.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi jmargaux,

Thanks for the great review! We're glad you're becoming a fan. We're all about the love. Hopefully next time you'll get a chance to have a bite to eat with us, too. We'd like that.

Come by again soon.

Donte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Enjoyed my stay, I'd totally recommend it.
Great location (10 mins walk to Dupont Circle or the White House)
Staffs were very warm and very customer focused.
Hotel room was spacious with nice vintage decor.
Super comfortable bed and linen.
Breakfast was simply USD 1 top up.
For free WiFi, join as a Topaz/ Kimpton member.
Making local call is chargeable.
The only warning is that do park your car at the Hotel Garage (cost USD 40+) or some car park nearby the hotel so you would avoid paying parking fine (about USD 30/overnight)

Room Tip: Queen deluxe room was perfect for couple!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi anilee,

Thanks for the review! It's great to read that your stay was an enjoyable one. The "Breakfast or Cocktails for a Dollar More" promotion is one of my personal favorites. Hopefully it's available on your next visit, as well.

Thanks again,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Another Kimpton hotel with the themed, quirky/artsy decor. Pet-friendly. Like the wine receptions in the lobby. My room had a yoga alcove which was a nice touch. Rooms are a nice size, I think this used to be converted building of small apartments and the yoga alcove was once a kitchen. Staff quite friendly. Quiet block of Dupont Circle.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MsfabulousNY,

Thanks for the awesome review. This building was at some point long ago an apartment building. That's why the rooms are so big :)

Thanks again,

New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My reservation was made for the incorrect date. Once I realized the mistake, I called the hotel and spoke to the Front Desk manager and after several phone calls spoke to the General Manager of the Hotel, Donte Johnson. Mr. Johnson personally told me,

Concerning his reasoning on why he would not reverse the charges for a night at his hotel after the date has expired for a room incorrectly made (a no show):

"If we hold a room for you, it is what is fair."
"I am here to help you to do the right thing." -- and I guess to him the right thing is to charge for a night's stay that the room was empty.
He also said "WE FOLLOW THE PROGRAM"

I also told him of a situation a year ago when an incorrect date happened at another hotel and I called and they very happily reimbursed the charges, and setting a high bar of customer service, he again told me he wanted to do the right thing and be fair.

I like customer service, i believe in it. I also believe that hotel and the Topaz should care about customer service as well,

If you care about customer service as well, do not stay hat the Topaz DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello UnhappyinNYC,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor. I'm sorry that you were unhappy about being charged for not cancelling your reservation with us. As I mentioned on the phone we always try to be fair and flexible with our customers. I'm glad we were ultimately able to resolve this matter and I hope your confidence in our commitment to customer satisfaction has been restored.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed at fancier Kimpton hotels, but the Topaz is still nice. It was actually the perfect choice for me as far as the D.C. Kimpton choices go. I had my three dogs, and the quiet street was great for walking them. Go left out of the hotel, and it's about a block to a nice grass area. Go right and then right on Connecticut Ave. to get to Dupont Circle. Both were close and great places to take dogs. Topaz is also a great location for humans to get to where we need to go. Complimentary breakfast was very nice. The staff is great and super friendly! Special thanks to Ahmed R. ! And Anthony Lehman, the Front Manager, really was a big help when I was checking out with my dogs and all of my stuff.

Room Tip: Elevator is a little slow, so you may want a low floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hello NyCuse,

Thanks for the great review! We're glad you and the doggies had a good time. Ahmed and Anthony are great guys. I'm not surprised one bit to read that they were standouts during your stay.

Thanks again for recommending us. We appreciate it.

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pros:

- Small (if you are looking for a more personal, less "corporate" experience)
- About an 8-10 minute walk to Dupont Circle
- There is a restaurant in the hotel (though small) and also several choices (e.g. Luna) are a very short walk -- even closer than Dupont Circle
- Free WiFi if you are a member of Kimpton
- Plug-in station next to bed; I wish all hotels would have this, as lack of convenient electrical outlets can be an issue
- Various drink specials and happy hour promotions at the little bar/restaurant
- Staff friendly and helpful

Cons:

- Location and "hip factor" not as good at this hotel as some of the other nearby Kimptons
- The inside of the hotel more or less has the look and feel of an old apartment building; when you look closely, it's rather worn and not all that clean (for example, hallways, inside the elevators, etc.)
- Two very old, slow elevators - a problem if the hotel is near capacity
- Lobby area is tiny - really not a lobby per se; bar/restaurant is also very small and limited in seating
- Television had grainy, poor reception...was not clear even though they are using newer, flat screen TVs
- Shampoo and shower gel are in permanent pump bottles affixed to shower wall. Cheap approach and hard to pump a sufficient quantity for use.

Overall, the hotel is adequate and may be a good choice if you get a very discounted rate, but it is definitely not as good as the "higher level" Kimptons in the vicinity. I would stay here again in a pinch, but if given options, it would definitely not be my first choice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hello ATLDawg,

Thanks for posting a review of your experience with us. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and we're certainly going to review the critical elements of this review to identify where we can improve moving forward. I hope you make your way back. We'll be better if you do.

Thanks again for sharing,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I really like this hotel and have stayed here a few times this year on a stay-cations. The staff is very nice and the rooms I have had all are always nice and clean. I am elite with Kimpton so I do get upgraded to larger rooms. The ones I have gotten are large king rooms with a couch and small separate bed/couch thing built into one cubby of a wall. They also have in-room elliptical in the rooms I get, so I love that! There is a small bar/lounge in the lobby area serving decent food. The hotel is tucked away on N St NW, so it feels removed from the hustle of Downtown or Dupont Circle, but you are right there. This is probably my second favorite Kimpton Hotel in D.C., or first, I'm torn with the Donovan House. But this one usually has good rates and the location is tops.

If you stay here and want to have a nice brunch, I suggest the brunch at the Beacon Bar & Grill around the corner at the Beacon Hotel. Very good food (buffet on Sundays) and bottomless mimosas or bloodys! Can't beat that for not a huge price. Or there are a ton of other restaurants in the area. (For my gays or gay-friendly, just walk a couple blocks north up 17th St for a number of other restaurants and brunch locales.) You are also a close enough walk to Downtown places and all the museums and monuments.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the review! We're happy to be your staycation hotel of choice. We'll have to see what we can do to sway you in the direction of Topaz vs our friend's over at the Donovan House.

Hope to see you soon!

Donte

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!