“Quick getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off parking!
Ranked #31 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Quick getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

A nice, well located, 'boutique' hotel, part of the Kimpton chain, right near Dupont Circle. Nestled on quiet N Street NW, just a few steps from Dupont Circle, the metro, and Scott circle, you could easily stroll past and miss it... if not for the gold lettering on the blue awning.

Blue, the dominant theme from the tint of the doors through the lobby and into the rooms. Nice, tasteful dark blues. The room was bright with comfortable chairs, a long purple couch great for sitting and reading. The bathroom had a small ante-room with make-up table and mirror. Overall very comfortable and bright.

The staff was welcoming and thoughtful, they made ample use of my reservation and Kimpton information, despite just one other stay in their hotels, to make us welcome. Having just slipped away from the kids for a night in town, the staff made us feel very welcome.

Parked on the street to avoid the $40 a night valet, which was fine except when returning late on Saturday night. Then we had to weave past the revelers pouring out of clubs to circe the neighborhood looking for a spot.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I'm not sure why this hotel has such great reviews. It definitely wasn't anything special, just an average boutique hotel in a big city. The lobby was small, the staff was definitely very kind but not very helpful at all. I received poor directions around the city and never got the extra towels I requested. Parking is expensive at $43 a night. I went with my mother and her sister and they felt the guests and decor were a bit too young for them; it's definitely a hotel aimed toward a younger guest with leopard-print robes purple carpets and lots of mirrors. There's no coffee or hot water in the rooms and no room in the mini bar fridge to put any of your things in.
The beds had great feather duvets, but no duvet covers-- gross.
If you get a good deal, go for it, but it's not worth full price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear kasiaklu,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us and fellow travelers. Although it never feels good to hear “just average” we’ll take this opportunity to review our service delivery in even greater detail to ensure that we’re giving each guest the best possible experience. It certainly appears as though we dropped the ball during your visit. And for that, I’m truly sorry. We will review our guest request logs from the past few weeks to identify the disconnect with the towel delivery and ensure that our reception team and bell attendants are informing all of our guests of the electric tea pot and complimentary tea featured in each of our guest rooms along with the coffee and coffee makers which we deliver at no cost upon request. Additionally, I’ve spoken with our Director of Housekeeping about your experience with the duvet. Each duvet is securely triple sheeted daily. However, we’ll definitely keep this on the radar as we inspect rooms moving forward to eliminate any flaws in our execution here. Although I know hotels don’t often get second chances, I sincerely hope the info above answers any questions you may have had about your experience and that you’ll visit again at some point to see what all the “great reviews” are about.

Donte Johnson
durham, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Very good "boutique" hotel near Dupont circle, rooms recently renovated and are spacious and very nice. My KIng bed room contained sofa and desk as well . Very nice staff, address you by name, eager to help. Perfectly adequate continental bkft in the small restaurant. We did not try it for dinner. Many restaurants in the Dupont circle area. Hotel about 2 blocks from Dupont circle metro, not a bad walk, perhaps a mile, to Georgetown or downtown to the mall.

Had a very good rate on the room ($150) but valet parking is $40. Go a couple of blocks to M street where garage parking is $21 for 24 hrs or use the street itself Sat after 6PM and Sunday. No hotel gym but passes to the Y 1 block away. Join Kimpton club if not already a member for free wi-fi and free passes to the Y and joining is free.

Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

This was my first time staying at the Topaz and because I'm a kimpton Inner Circle it was as if everyone knew me and welcomed me to this really cool place. The hotel is in a great location and don't let the exterior fool you, the hotel was immaculate and well kept. The room I stayed in was huge and comfortable. The folks at the front desk called me several times to be sure I had everything and they were quick to let me know that because the hotel is in a great location with easy access to the the Metro, great restaurants, and stores all within walking distance. The breakfast was very good and what made my stay most memorable was everyone on staff who were helpful and went over and above to give me great service.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are quite roomy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

we had a really nice stay here, the location is great for the Du Point Circle neighbourhood which is great for restaurants and bookstores etc. It’s still within walking of the White House etc.
The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean although it is a refurbished older building so there are some imperfections in the corridors and common areas but all in all it is very nice.
Complimentary wine every evening around 6 pm is a plus.

Nutley, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I went to DC for the weekend and I booked this hotel based on being an InTouch member that Kimpton provides to guests. Our previous stay in San Diego at Hotel Solamar convinced me to become a member to enjoy future perks! We arrived late and our room was ready where we had the option of choosing a floor. The front concierge recommended a quick burger joint for us to eat at since it was after midnight and many restaurants were closed. The place was in walking distance, as were many bars, clubs, and shopping although we did not go to any of these since our trip was only 2 days.

Loved the free hour of wine that was from 5-6 in the lounge, although they should have had some music playing. The area is not that large, but suitable for guests of the hotel and the decor was pretty.

We had breakfast there one morning which was buffet style and the selection was limited. Yogurt, cereal, bread, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee and tea was not really worth it since there were no eggs or bacon, or a station to make an omelette. I suppose those could have been ordered, just not part of the breakfast buffet. I recommend taking a 5 minute walk to a place nearby, and also heard the brunch next door at the Tabbard Inn is good.

For the rate of the room and the cleanliness, location, and amenities, the Topaz Hotel was an excellent choice. I also love that they are pet friendly so once we adopt some dogs we can bring them along on our trips! We would have liked a rooftop terrace with or without a pool, but it didn't make or break our trip since we primarily went to sightsee at the many museums and monuments.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We've stayed at the Topaz several times, and they get better each time. Everyone on their staff is fantastic, location is great, and hybrids park for free. Complimentary wine tasting, very nice continental breakfast, well appointed rooms, quiet street, etc., etc. This is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor is better since there is a lounge w/ music off the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!