“A hidden gem that's near everything!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 50% off parking!
Ranked #22 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Providence, Rhode Island
“A hidden gem that's near everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

This was my first time staying at the Topaz and because I'm a kimpton Inner Circle it was as if everyone knew me and welcomed me to this really cool place. The hotel is in a great location and don't let the exterior fool you, the hotel was immaculate and well kept. The room I stayed in was huge and comfortable. The folks at the front desk called me several times to be sure I had everything and they were quick to let me know that because the hotel is in a great location with easy access to the the Metro, great restaurants, and stores all within walking distance. The breakfast was very good and what made my stay most memorable was everyone on staff who were helpful and went over and above to give me great service.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are quite roomy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

we had a really nice stay here, the location is great for the Du Point Circle neighbourhood which is great for restaurants and bookstores etc. It’s still within walking of the White House etc.
The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean although it is a refurbished older building so there are some imperfections in the corridors and common areas but all in all it is very nice.
Complimentary wine every evening around 6 pm is a plus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nutley, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I went to DC for the weekend and I booked this hotel based on being an InTouch member that Kimpton provides to guests. Our previous stay in San Diego at Hotel Solamar convinced me to become a member to enjoy future perks! We arrived late and our room was ready where we had the option of choosing a floor. The front concierge recommended a quick burger joint for us to eat at since it was after midnight and many restaurants were closed. The place was in walking distance, as were many bars, clubs, and shopping although we did not go to any of these since our trip was only 2 days.

Loved the free hour of wine that was from 5-6 in the lounge, although they should have had some music playing. The area is not that large, but suitable for guests of the hotel and the decor was pretty.

We had breakfast there one morning which was buffet style and the selection was limited. Yogurt, cereal, bread, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee and tea was not really worth it since there were no eggs or bacon, or a station to make an omelette. I suppose those could have been ordered, just not part of the breakfast buffet. I recommend taking a 5 minute walk to a place nearby, and also heard the brunch next door at the Tabbard Inn is good.

For the rate of the room and the cleanliness, location, and amenities, the Topaz Hotel was an excellent choice. I also love that they are pet friendly so once we adopt some dogs we can bring them along on our trips! We would have liked a rooftop terrace with or without a pool, but it didn't make or break our trip since we primarily went to sightsee at the many museums and monuments.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We've stayed at the Topaz several times, and they get better each time. Everyone on their staff is fantastic, location is great, and hybrids park for free. Complimentary wine tasting, very nice continental breakfast, well appointed rooms, quiet street, etc., etc. This is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor is better since there is a lounge w/ music off the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I chose Topaz for a 3 night stay because I never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before and I heard positive things about this brand.

The hotel is located near Dupont Circle and is a low-rise building on a street that looks residential but have several houses that are boarded-up. If it wasn't for the other hotel next to the Topaz, I think the street would be deserted at night.

There aren’t many rooms per floor so there isn’t a long of a wait for the 2 elevators. The room I stayed in is clean, spacious and nicely decorated with large size furniture and decorative wallpaper. Everything seems well coordinated and put together. The flat-screen TV sits on top of a credenza which contains the mini bar and some drawers. The doors of the credenza does not open fully because the end of the bed kind of blocks it. The door to my room also did not lock properly so a gentle push from the outside would open it. I had to close it using a bit of force in order for the electronic door lock to activate. There are no security chains on the doors.

The bed is quite high from the ground so watching TV is comfortable. The linens are of excellent quality. The animal print bathrobes provided is more for people who loves to shop at Walmart but for professionals, they wouldn’t be caught dead in it.

This toiletries are in a dispenser located in the shower. I didn’t find the toiletries were of high quality even though they are from a British company. The dispenser could be environmentally sound but I am not sure if it is hygienic and sanitary. Instead of making the bathroom part of the room for private use, the dispenser gives a feeling of a public bathroom.

There is a complimentary evening wine reception but to me it seems a bit intimidating to participate as you might have to socialize with strangers since alcohol must be consumed at the restaurant\bar area. Unfortunately, Kimpton didn’t put much thought for non-drinkers.

Kimpton Hotels does tries to distinguish itself by enhancing guest experience with their Loyalty Program as it tries to cater to each guest’s preferences and provides some good benefits but you must give up some personal info. In all, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay at Kimpton brand hotels again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear copan28,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review of Topaz here on Tripadvisor. I’m glad we were able to welcome you to the Kimpton family. I’m familiar with the room layout where the minibar lives at the foot of the bed and we’ll have a look at each of these rooms to ensure that there’s proper clearance for the doors and inspect the main doors of each one to ensure that they’re locking flawlessly. Like you, I love our beds. In fact, I have one at home so I certainly echo that endorsement.

Wine Hour is one of my favorite Kimpton Signature elements. However, I can understand how it’s not the desired scene for everyone. If you’d like to enjoy this benefit, but do so in the comfort of your room, we would quickly make that happen.

A quick note on the bulk dispensers: they significantly reduce the amount of waste associated with our bath amenity program. They are cleaned and replenished daily. We also keep the individual-use bottles on hand for guests who prefer not to use the dispensers (we understand that its not what folks are used to). And we certainly don’t aspire to achieve the “public restroom” look. Our aim is merely to make a difference with the support of our guests. I hope you’ll visit again soon and truly appreciate your feedback.

Donte Johnson
parisgreen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in Dupont Circle because a friend recommended that area. The hotel is very clean and everyone was very nice to us. I loved how trendy and modern the hotel was and not to mention it was a huge room. Best of all there was free parking right across the street because after 6:30 on Saturday the meters are free.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The facade is unassuming; the lobby small and unimpressive, the corridors clean and remodeled but look older. The room however was wonderful and the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Not sure if the corner room was better than others but I sure would recommend it. The sleeping area is well spacious; there is a sofa and additional seating, and an office area. Kimpton "funky-stylish" but very comfortable and well laid out. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!