“Quirky and fun; worlds away from the hustle of DC, a short walk away from everything.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1733 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #27 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011 via mobile

Red and I checked into Topaz for a 3 night end of summer vacation. Just looking through their website is what got me hooked on the Kimpton brand five years ago - a quirky little boutique hotel with a focus on zen, tranquility, and self actualization. Seriously!
The staff are amazing - professional but not at all stuffy. I was challenged to a hula-hoop off by their general manager for an upgrade and even though I lost (due to a technical foul!), they still gave me an *amazing* room. I could probably fit three regular sized cookie cutter hotel's rooms in it. Everything was AMAZINGLY clean with attention to detail.
During wine hour the staff was friendly and engaging - helping us with dinner and brunch recommendations. This is quite on par with the Kimpton brand but leaps and bounds what you would find anywhere else considering the star rating and price.
Red and I felt like super celebrities in a little known boutique hotel around the corner from everything. Between two metro stops - the location was perfect.
I began to wonder how they do it all so well. But a look at their Facebook pages and a look into their job culture shows a company who values ALL their employees and treats each client (down to the littlest puppy) like the most important one they have. Clean, convenient, friendly, attention to detail, and a defined personality. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear ALRadz,

Thank you for recommending Topaz to fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. You were definitely the toughest competitor I’ve ever faced in the hoop-off, by far! Despite the fact that they immediately turned on me and began cheering for you at the start of the contest, I have a great time working with our team here and they really enjoy the work they do with our guests.
We had great fun helping you guys plan out your weekend and I have since checked out a couple of new places that I know you’re going to love! Keep in touch and we hope to see you again soon. Like any true champion, I’m happy to offer a rematch at any time :-) Thanks again for posting this fantastic review!

Donte Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I want to begin by stating that my experience at the Topaz was truly outstanding. I happen to check in during the "wine hour" and was immediately offered a glass once I was finished at the desk. I went up to my room which was nice a cool (it was 90F outside), then went out for a run. Upon my return an hour later, I was noticeably hot. After 'welcoming' me back to the hotel (which they always did very cheerfully), she offered me a cool towel - which was absolutely fantastic, and there was iced lemon water available. That evening I ate in the hotel restaurant. The food was delicious and the staff, again, was friendly and attentive. At the continental breakfast the next morning, there was plenty of food and coffee for everyone (including M&M's if you were so inclined). I even had a problem printing a document in the business office, and when I asked for help, one of the employees, who was about to leave work, asked how he could help, and printed the document for me. Overall, the attention to detail and genuine attitude everyone had was refreshing and appreciated. The hotel is in a great location near the business district and tourist attractions. I highly recommend it and will absolutely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear gcavage,

Thank you for posting your fantastic review of Topaz here on Tripadvisor! I hosted Wine Hour yesterday and always enjoy doing so. It’s a great time to get to know our guests and connect with them while thanking them for their support. I’m glad you enjoyed our breakfast service. We just recently added the M&Ms and, I have to be honest, I am so inclined (probably more so than I should be). I don’t think they’ve quite caught on for our guests as the nutritional breakfast cornerstone that they are for me. I’ve always known our team to be genuinely helpful and accommodating. And it’s really gratifying to read that in your review. I look forward to sharing your feedback with our team. Thanks again and please visit soon.

Chantilly, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Topaz. The location was perfect, close to everything yet tucked away in a quiet neighborhood. The room was spacious, comfortable, and very nice with many unexpected extras. I wish we didn't have such a busy evening planned and just spent more time in the room. It was the quietest city hotel I've stayed in. We didn't hear any street sounds or noise from other rooms. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We ended up eating dinner in the hotel restaurant as it was so convenient. My husband and the burger and yucca fries and I had the tuna steak sandwich and yucca fries. They were both amazing and I think I'd go back just for that meal. Our stay at the Topaz really made a rare night away for my husband and me into something extra special. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Quiet City Hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear heatherslc,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your recommendation of Topaz here on Tripadvisor. I’m happy that you enjoyed a noise-free night at our hotel and a tasty meal in our lounge. Hopefully, this experience will help sway you towards making the nights away less rare and we certainly hope to continue to make them special. Thanks again for the review. Please visit again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011 via mobile

Very accommodating staff made this 2nd Kimpton Hotel experience a joy. The spacious room and comfortable bed helped relax a busy schedule in DC and adjoining neighborhoods.

• Stayed September 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My stay at the Topaz hotel was PHENOMENAL! The staff is incomparable to any that I've ever come across, and the red carpet is truly rolled out for visitors--the staff show guests their appreciation in myriad ways from hosting complimentary wine receptions to going above and beyond the call of duty for anything you might need while there, even if it's not something they specialize in. They even check in with you BEFORE you have to call them to see if there's anything they can do to make you more comfortable or your stay more accomodating. The hotel was impeccably clean, and there are several nearby attractions from restaurants to shopping to nightlife. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you are visiting DC or even looking to engage in a little staycation. You certainly will not be disappointed! I plan on going back as soon as possible!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We spent Labor Day weekend at the Topaz. Everything was just wonderful. We will return ASAP. Not because of their location, which is excellent. Not because of the rooms, which were very very comfortable. But, because of the staff, who could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Combining the excellence of the staff with the location and great rooms results in a perfect vacation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed one night at the beginning of my vacation, before getting BWI flight the next day. Right up there with the other Kimptons I've stayed in. They upgraded me to a "motion" suite -- very big room with separate sitting area, exercycle, and "jeannie bottle" like sitting area with a curtain enclosure. Excellent location, two blocks south of Dupont Circle -- when driving in, be sure to map it in advance; the one-way streets make it a bit challenging to drive to. Breakfast was skimpy. Excellent service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!