“Never again - dirty, dirty, dirty” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Inn

You added Windsor Inn to your Saves list
Windsor Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1842 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #113 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“Never again - dirty, dirty, dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed three nights at the windsor inn. My wife and me have been in several hotels before. Even on the lower end of the price scale we have never experienced such a dirty hotel before. Our room was smelling and dirty. The bed sheet was dirty. The air con was only a fan. It was to hot in the room evrn with the fan.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here in October 2010 and had many frightening experiences. The hotel was pretty empty and I did not see another customer the entire rime I stayed although I constantly heard walking outside my door on the second (3rd?) floor and saw shadows underneath the door as if someone walked by. I opened the door to check maybe 5 different times to see no one around.. I also had a feeling the whole night like someone was in my room watching me. When I finally had the nerve to turn the tv off and get some sleep, I felt the corner of my bed sink down as if someone had sat on it. I turned the tv back on for another hour or so and I fell asleep with the tv on. About an hour later I had a terrifying nightmare of a woman with sharp teeth laying next to me on my bed and felt her bite the back of my neck. I woke up immediately and literally felt like I had been bitten. I was petrified. I have read other reviews about loud hallways and temperature changes in the rooms. I just wanted to share my experience to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I think that the review of this hotel boils down to expectations. If you read through the reviews – it seems to be a question of expectations vs reality. Look – this place is old. Paint is peeling off the walls. No elevator. Continental breakfast is weak (I would call it coffee and bread). If it was middle of summer I am not sure the AC unit could keep up. The TV’s in the room are 15” from 1990. One of the guys at the front desk is creepy, one guy is just mean, and the only gal that works there is terrific and I am sorry I can’t remember her name (but she is the only lady). On the other side it’s in a great area. You can walk to many good restaurants on 18th or the metro in Dupont Circle. Room is clean. Water is hot. Towels are plush (better than Marriot or Hilton) and the bed is flat and comfy. Bottom line is if you are looking for the Ritz this isn’t it. If you are looking for a good value room with clean towels and beds this place is very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
the Peninsula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We enjoyed our first trip to DC, this Inn's location is 5 star. Don't expect a luxurious b&b, more like discovering a fun, funky, previously cherished find in a consignment shop. The employees we're friendly. I can't understand the angry, negative reviews. The "African guy", Moussa, was only kind, helpful and charming with us. (But, we didn't arrive with attitude) Dosn't everyone print out travel things?
Breakfast choices, Cheerios, toast, pastry, bagel, cream cheese, butter and jam, tea, tasty OJ and decent coffee. A breakfast room bonus, on a couple mornings we had opportunity to chat with other guests from all around the world. Whole Foods is nearby, so pick up some fruit to supplement all that yummy bread. We walked most everywhere, the area is full of young professional people, also walking. We never felt unsafe.
Would stay here again.
Can't speak to the basement room. Sounds dreary...

Room Tip: For people with pet allergies, kitty cat is on site.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
McAllen, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel and staff in this place is horrible. I booked my room with two beds with Hotels.com and have never had a problem anywhere but here. When I arrived, the front desk guy, an African guy, looked shady right form the start. He said that I had no reservations made under my name and he made me wait until they called them from Hotels.com after I called them to find out what was going on. After clearing that up, he said rudely how lucky I was and this and that. He then gave me the key to the room and it only had one bed. I went back up to demand a room with the two beds like I had reserved and he wanted me to pay him $20 for THE FAVOR. This time I got angry and demanded the room right away. I finally got it after hearing so much nonsense from this guy. When I checked out, I checked my checking balance and saw that this same African guy had charged an extra night. I called him several times and when he recognized me, he just dodged the whole thing and said that he was busy and hung up.
If you go to this place, be careful if you run into a middle aged African man with a French accent. The guy is a scam and should be fired for making the hotel look so bad and trying to rip off customers.

Room Tip: Avoid the African front desk guy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Washington D.c.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hotel was shabby b&b, bed was awful, furniture worn, sink in bedroom, shower& wc separate, security to room just a key.
I was given room off lobby. Left for a few hours and decided it didn't feel safe. Checked out after 2 hours.
Desk clerk offered other room but I declined.

I checked in but left the room and booked a room in another hotel for less money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Rude Put us in a basement room after settled in bed a man knocked on door I opened man pushed open the door and demanded we leave said we had no booking of course we did He make us 3 women get dressed in front of him Then kicked us out My husband said I should have called 911 but upset not thinking

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Windsor Inn? Share your experiences!