“I took the risk and I don't regret it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Inn

Save Saved
You added Windsor Inn to your Saves list
Windsor Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1842 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #112 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
“I took the risk and I don't regret it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I read all the reviews before booking it and I took the risk and don't regret it. I assure you most of them are overreacting. The rooms were very clean and comfy. The attention was good and they even give a nice breakfast. I stayed at the infamous "garden level" and it's not bad at all. Although if you expect jacuzzis and room service this isn't the hotel for you. But if you're a turist and need a good night sleep it's just perfect.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

If I had written this review within the first 2 hours of my stay, I would have given it negative stars (which is not exactly the best time for bad impressions considering that after traveling, what you really want to do is relax and settle in when you finally reach your destination). Even now after leaving and returning home, giving this place 2 stars feels like a bit of a stretch. I will start with what I liked about the place. First, the location is great. It was fair walking distance (for me - I am an urban pedestrian though and walk quite a bit) to a lot of restaurants, stores, bars, etc... located on 17th and 18th street. Connecticut Avenue and DuPont Circle were also within a fair distance, and actually there were cool or useful things in many directions and the neighborhood felt safe and was quite charming. After a while, the place did grow on me a bit and I did have a decent view - if you care about such things. Now here's the bad. First of all, my roomwas booked at the Embassy Inn, which is a part of the same hotel group. When I arrived, I was told there was an issue with the plumbing and that I was being moved to 2 blocks north to the Windsor - a minor inconvenience but this would set the tone. Upon arrival at the Windsor, there was an odd odor in the lobby and a cat (i like pets but it gave me pause,later sort of winning me over). I was told that I was getting a "garden room." Refer to other reviews regarding "garden rooms." Mine was tiny and dank and should have been called the "creepy basement with locked gate to outside laundry area next to the boiler room." If you at any point in the reservation process hear the phrase "garden room," work on getting that switched or run. After 2 hours in my "garden room," I went to the front desk and complained. Thankfully, I was given a much better room. As a side note, I don't think the hotel was actually full, so if that's the case, then I am really annoyed I was given a "garden room" at all. They should be emergency acts of desperation on the part of the occupant and the management - as a manager I would be embarrassed to put anyone there unless absolutely necessary. The next worse thing about this place is the internet connection. The wireless internet never worked in my room for more than twenty minutes and I had to go down to the lobby for every little thing - I use the internet a lot. I find this to be highly unacceptable in 2012, especially if you use it as a selling point and I saw other people have the same issue so I know it wasn't just me. And even in the lobby, which is bull crap that I have to leave my room to use the internet, the connection was spotty. I feel like this is a byproduct of lazy ownership/management and indicates that customer comfort and need is not a priority. The breakfast was mediocre. My room was clean. The decor was so/so. The only way I would stay here again would be as a last resort (maybe price because I am on a budget but I think if you plan in advance you can get better deals on much better places) and I would want the same room or one comparable.

Room Tip: Avoid the "garden room."
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

It's interesting that this place is called the Windsor Inn, because I had the distinct impression that they were trying to mimic an English B&B -- although perhaps not the best English B&B. More like one of those B&B's near Paddington Station, in London. Fine for a night or two, but you wouldn't want to stay there for two weeks. Anyway, the room was small, but clean. (By "small" I mean that you had to put your suitcase on the bed, unpack, close the suitcase, and stand it on the floor in order to lie on the bed. There was no other space in which to open your suitcase.) The towels were not plush, but they also were clean. The location is excellent, but I wondered if you might not get a bargain at a slightly nicer place through judicious searching. Maybe not. The breakfast was acceptable -- not special. There was a "hotel cat," which was a sweet touch. (Sounds more like England all the time, doesn't it?) One of the men who worked at the front desk was very nice and helpful; a second man acted as though he would rather have been somewhere else and that my presence was pretty-much an annoyance. I might go back to this hotel, just for the fun of it, but I'm not sure that I "recommend" it.

Room Tip: My room on the ground floor was easy to reach and was quiet. I cannot say whether there is an eleva...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

You don't stay here for the ambiance, that's for sure. However, if you are looking for a deal in a great location, this is your place. The hotel is blocks from the action in Dupont Circle and an easy bus ride to nightlife in Adam's Morgan. The front desk staff can be surly, the internet is quite iffy, the decor outdated and there are other minor annoyances, like there's an extra charge for a second person in the room and there are no peepholes, but we paid significantly less than we would have anywhere else, besides perhaps the Red Roof Inn in Chinatown. The location was close to our friends and the restaurant and bar mecca that is Dupont Circle.

We've stayed there twice, but it's better if you know what you are getting into.

Note: If you are traveling two to a room, the standard-sized bed may prove a bit snug.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and just to get to the main floor you have to drag your bags up a few stairs, s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here for a work trip. The room is nothing special. It's small, there is a TV (which I did not use), and a desk. I didn't have any issues with the internet, so no complaints there. The AC unit was next to the window, which did not relieve the stickiness of the room much in warm summer weather. The staff was friendly and the garden outside was a nice place to sit and relax. It is certainly not a five-star place but if you are just planning on sleeping here, it should be fine.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor which is actually the second (first is in the basement). There are no eleva...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Clifton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

i left a review about this hotel because i had a great stay and then i stayed there one more time.. i can assure you that i will never stay there again.. 1st thing.. the prices went up.. but i didnt care because i had a great stay last time so its whatever. the second day in our stay. the manager charged 250 dollars on my credit card without saying anything.. when i asked what this was about. they told me it was a cleaning fee because we were smoking in the room.. we did not light up a single cigarette in the room... the owner talked to me on the phone and was the biggest jerk about it at all.. when i explained that im a repeat guest he told me how he doesnt care about my business and it doesnt matter to him if i came back.. so ever since, ive been staying at the hilton down the block for a better price on hotwire and a way better experince.. the only good thing i can say about the windsor is that jamie was a great guy.... everyone else have no idea how to work in the hospitality industry..

• Stayed January 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited DC for a graduation trip. As budget travelers, we book the hotel through hostelworld. We chose standard double bed private.
We were quite disappointed that our room is actually in the "Garden Level", which is actually the basement. Our room was at the end of the hallway, next to the rear gate of the building. The housekeepers did laundry and chitchat right outside our room.
The building itself is very old. It needs to be renovated.
The ROOM and the shower itself is very small. There is a sink next to the double bed. Even though there is a window, you wont open the blinds as it faces the hallway (People can see your whole room if you don't close the blinds). There is cable (small TV) and free wifi. Yet, the sheets are clean and the bed is comfortable.
Do not book this hotel if you planned to stay in your room for a long time. It works for us as we went out early to the museums and came back after dinner time for shower and sleep.
The BREAKFAST is ok. It is self served. There is cereal (basic type), milk, coffee, donuts, bread, etc. Don't expect too much and you'll be fine.
LOCATION is great. 15 min walk from subway. But I would suggest taking the bus. There is a bus stop outside the hotel. It's convenient to travel to the museums. It is also a very safe area. You'll see people walking dogs at night.
You can also ask them to print your tickets for you.

Room Tip: Avoid garden level rooms. It's not worth the price.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Inn? Share your experiences!