“terrible!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Inn

You added Windsor Inn to your Saves list
Windsor Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1842 16th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #113 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
Clifton, New Jersey
“terrible!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

i left a review about this hotel because i had a great stay and then i stayed there one more time.. i can assure you that i will never stay there again.. 1st thing.. the prices went up.. but i didnt care because i had a great stay last time so its whatever. the second day in our stay. the manager charged 250 dollars on my credit card without saying anything.. when i asked what this was about. they told me it was a cleaning fee because we were smoking in the room.. we did not light up a single cigarette in the room... the owner talked to me on the phone and was the biggest jerk about it at all.. when i explained that im a repeat guest he told me how he doesnt care about my business and it doesnt matter to him if i came back.. so ever since, ive been staying at the hilton down the block for a better price on hotwire and a way better experince.. the only good thing i can say about the windsor is that jamie was a great guy.... everyone else have no idea how to work in the hospitality industry..

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited DC for a graduation trip. As budget travelers, we book the hotel through hostelworld. We chose standard double bed private.
We were quite disappointed that our room is actually in the "Garden Level", which is actually the basement. Our room was at the end of the hallway, next to the rear gate of the building. The housekeepers did laundry and chitchat right outside our room.
The building itself is very old. It needs to be renovated.
The ROOM and the shower itself is very small. There is a sink next to the double bed. Even though there is a window, you wont open the blinds as it faces the hallway (People can see your whole room if you don't close the blinds). There is cable (small TV) and free wifi. Yet, the sheets are clean and the bed is comfortable.
Do not book this hotel if you planned to stay in your room for a long time. It works for us as we went out early to the museums and came back after dinner time for shower and sleep.
The BREAKFAST is ok. It is self served. There is cereal (basic type), milk, coffee, donuts, bread, etc. Don't expect too much and you'll be fine.
LOCATION is great. 15 min walk from subway. But I would suggest taking the bus. There is a bus stop outside the hotel. It's convenient to travel to the museums. It is also a very safe area. You'll see people walking dogs at night.
You can also ask them to print your tickets for you.

Room Tip: Avoid garden level rooms. It's not worth the price.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We recently visited DC for a pleasure trip. We got a great price on this place and you cannot beat this location for night life and shopping. We were only a few blocks from the train so we did not need our car to see all the sights. My impression from the room was that this is an old building that has had some good use. I never saw anything that grossed me out though. We only spent enough time in the room to sleep and get ready for our next adventure. The place worked well for our visit. If you're planning on spending a lot of time in your room or you typically stay in nicer hotels you may consider another place. It was a little small, the guest help was not the friendliest bunch I have met, there is no elevator, the carpet was pretty worn, and there was no parking. Besides that it was cheap, clean, bed was comfy, and you can't beat the location if you're looking for fun. It seems like you're asking a lot to pay less than a 100 bucks in the middle of a city and expect luxury.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Hotel is in need for a complete remodel. Run down rooms, halls, Place is on the dirty side. Location is great, but NO parking,
If Windsor would remodel, this would be a nice place to stay.
rooms are over priced for what is offered.
this hotel is Only for a single college kid that is used to sleeping in a dump.

Room Tip: Always Request rooms on upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We booked this hotel via priceline, and so got it at a lower price than we were getting any hotel in the area from expedia, or hotels.com. In return, we got a suite in the basement. The place was next to a boiler room and so gloomy and dark that we didn't want to stay there at all, so we spent all our time outdoors in DC. We asked them to book a cab 24 hours before for next morning 6am to go to the airport, but no reservation was made. The person at the desk simply said, "I dont know anything about it, you didn't make the request to me." Then he says: "Its raining heavily outside, a can wont even stop if you shout it down". Such hospitality.

If you want a good location in town, and care about saving money, and nothing else, and will just occupy a bed at night, go for this hotel. Else, run away from it, you are sure to find a better deal somewhere else.

Room Tip: AVoid the basement rooms at any cost.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Arrived at the Windsor Inn which was booked for me by someone else. Was given a 4th floor room (walk up with HUGE suitcase). Asked if someone could help me. They looked at me like I was from outer space. The room was so small, the bed was tiny, no blanket to speak of. Moldy shower and walls, Loud ac and fan in bathroom. Travel all the time. This is HONESTLY the worst place I have ever stayed! Flew home a day early, they wouldn't refund my money. Make you pay when you check in.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Windsor Inn. The staff was friendly, especially the French gentleman in the afternoon. The inn is not really fancy, but is cozy. Breakfast is pretty much coffee or tea, pastries and Cheerios. There is no elevator so getting your bags up a flight or two can be a bit of a hassle. The bed was harder than I like, but I still slept well. The rugs were vacuumed daily, which I really liked. The location is close to two Metro stations and many restaurants. The street is very quiet and is in a nice residential area so I felt safe. If you are not expecting luxury but are looking for a decent, quaint, friendly, quiet, clean place to stay then I recommend the Windsor Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Windsor Inn? Share your experiences!