“Great hotel, great city!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #46 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hotel, great city!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Phoenix Park is highly recommended for the level of comfort, compact yet functional room, effective lift access, attentive staff and above all proximity to transport to Washington DC attractions.
What a wonderful surprise that this hotel was so close to Union Station when we arrived by train from Dulles Airport! It's also walking distance to our Viator tour, restaurants and other holiday needs.
The adjoining Dubliner is a yummy and well priced eatery for breakfast and dinner. The complimentary Irish coffees just hit the spot when we first arrived.
98% would be my rating with attention needed to more consistent wifi access and maybe a few smiles from the front desk staff.
Great hotel. Great city. Would visit again in a heart beat.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We are delighted you found our location ideal and appreciated our classic charm.

David Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Polish first
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The excellent location near Union Station was one of the major considerations in selecting this hotel since we were arriving in the city on Amtrak. We just walked over to the hotel. Check in was very easy. Everyone was friendly. The other consideration was free wifi. We got back to the hotel in the evening and I prepared to get some work done. No internet access. The window that popped up said, "The Phoenix Park Hotel in not on the internet." So I called the Front Desk. Brittany said she would send someone to the 8th floor to reset the router & I should try again in about 15 minutes. I tried after 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and 45 minutes. I called back to the front desk. Brittany said she would check on the wifi and call me back. When she did not call back by 11:00 p.m., I went to bed rather frustrated. In the morning when we checked out, the woman at the front desk asked how our stay was. I explained that I was unhappy that Brittany did not call me back when she said she would and the problem with the wifi was never resolved. I went on to say that they shouldn't advertise wifi if they couldn't provide it. To which she replied, "We do have wifi." I said, "Not last night when I needed it." The thing is -- everyone experiences technical difficulties. If Brittany had just called me back and said, "I'm sorry but we can't seem to get the wifi working.", I would have thanked her and gone to bed. But if someone tells me they are going to call back, I expect them to do what they say.

Usually we stay at a location further from Union Station and use their shuttle. We thought this would be the ideal hotel since my cousin works in the building across the street and it would be so easy to meet her after work. Don't think we will try this again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. I am sorry your stay was negatively impacted by our Internet problems. We have been experiencing system problems for past several weeks and all the companies involved in our service and operation have been trying various solutions as they don't seem to know the exact problem. It is incredibly frustrating for me and all involved - and most certainly to our guests. The service will come in and go with service failures occur randomly and and travel in the network. So my agents are attempting to assist but they honestly don't know if the options they are proposing will still be working at a later time. So I apologize again you were at the end of their frustration. It is unacceptable.

We are replacing our entire wireless Internet network in mid August so this problem will no be an issue on a future stay. We hope you will return and try it for yourself. Thank you again.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a very nice hotel. The beds are extremely comfortable. The staff is very polite. It's in a good location. We were half a block from union station which had plenty of eateries and shops. The hotel also had plenty of eateries in walking distance. The only thing I didn't like was the hotel has no continental breakfast or where you could get a quick cup of coffee in the morning. Of course they had the coffee pot in the room, but I don't want to make my own coffee. I like to be able to go downstairs and get a quick cup of coffee I can bring back to my room. I really don't want to walk outside the hotel to get coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
We appreciate your visit and sharing your ocmments. While I wish we could have encouraged you to share more than "Not Bad" in your title, we are delighed that you found our location ideal and appreciated our historic charm and ambience. Our Dubliner Restaurant is opein daily at 7:00 AM for coffee and breakfast as well as food and drink and live Irish entertainers nightly. We thank you for your business.
Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I usually don't stay in the Union Station area but glad I did. The hotel is one of the Historic Hotels of America and loaded with charm. The staff was very helpful and while my room was a little small it was loaded with the charm you would expect from a historic hotel. The Irish theme was well done carried throughout.
The proximity to Union Station was real plus with super easy access to the Metro. Lots of resturants close by for a quick breakfast or a pint before dinner.
I had a great stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I am so happy you found our Capitol Hill location perfect for your needs and enjoyed our classic charm and ambience. We thank you for your visit.
Taylorsville, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I went here for work and it was clean and cute, My main issue was that my flight was a late flight and when I got in at 11:00 pm the man at the desk was very rude and tried to tell me he did not have a room for me. He did eventually give me a room but a very small one. Besides that the rest of the desk people were very nice! The location was also very convenient!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments and I aplogize you experienced a problem while checking in. As I see it happened last October, I wish you had reached out to me prior to now so that I could have followed up ajnd addressed it immediately. Thank you again for your business.

Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We got a Groupon that offered a very inexpensive rate of $89/night which is pretty cheap for DC - it also offered 50% off the $50 valet parking fee (also pretty cheap) . We were greeted by all staff and made to feel very welcome. The hotel is older, but kept up to date and clean - and the lobby was nicely decorated in antiques as well as the room. We had a nice view of DC and the bed was comfortable. There is a comfortable feel about the place - it is not once of the sleek modern places, but it is not in the least shabby. The close proximity to Union Station made getting around via th Metro a breeze. taxi's were inexpensive. AND there is a Starbucks two blocs away. Loved it and will stay thee agin when we go back to DC

Room Tip: Room 406 was lovely
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel and classic charm and found the location perfect for your needs. All our team join me in thanking you for your visit.
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We recently stayed for 2 nights as part of a wedding block at this hotel. Loved the old-world charm, and the rooms were very nice. The staff was helpful and friendly at every point.

Only complaints:
-parking (as known in DC) was very steep, at $50 a night for valet. We parked in the union station garage ($22 a night) as it was a quick 2 block walk. The government lot across the street is free on weekends!
-the pillows were super thin so I subsequently woke up with a neck ache but hey, nothing some Advil won't fix!
-toilets don't have the normal high capacity flush of hotels, may lead you to believe you clogged the toilet but alas, holding down the flusher works.
-The hvac systems must be pretty old as a few of us thought we had a cold after 2 nights sleep. A few hours after leaving my sore throat cleared right up!

Overall loved this place. Location is fantastic! Service at the in house restaurant for breakfast was incredibly slow and spotty but nothing to downgrade my opinion of the property over. Would recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We are so pleased to have been a part of this special weekend. We are pleased you enjoyed our location and classic style and our staff was so helpful and welcoming. The hotel is about to undergo a $5M renovation shortly to further enhance our property and we look forward to welcoming you in the future to see the results.

David Hill

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!