“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Holiday Cheers from $109
Ranked #45 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We chose this hotel for its location - a block from Union Station. Also, the hotel is within walking distance of many sites such as the Capitol and the Mall. The small size of our room and the large furniture made it feel cramped. The street noise (emergency vehicles, especially) was quite loud at times. The windows didn't seem to offer much sound proofing. However, it was comfortable enough and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, though only on a weekend night when the rates are reasonable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and found the location ideal. As an historic hotel our room sizes vary and are not large as we often state here. We hope to welcome you back again in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stay away from this place like the plague. I pre-paid a reservation through an expedia company, and when I showed up at the hotel at 10 PM, they said they didn't have my room or my reservation. I showed them the confirmed reservation from a printout from my email, and they would not honor the reservation saying the expedia company made a "mistake". They said they had one room left, but they were saving it for someone else who also had a reservation. The front desk staff engaged in a verbal argument for over an hour with the expedia company, hanging up on expedia several times, over whose fault it was while I stood there. Finally, the expedia company came on the phone and said that the hotel had admitted I had a reservation, but just then the other guest showed up and the hotel gave him the last room. Expedia had pity on my situation, standing in a hotel that was not honoring my reservation nor finding me a room somewhere else, so the expedia company got me another room after 11 PM. It was midnight before I got into my new room. It should not matter whether it was the hotel's fault or the expedia company's fault, they should take care of a guest who needed a place to sleep and had a pre-paid reservation, not leave them standing in their lobby while they argue with expedia, just that simple. Phoenix Park Hotel staff told me all the hotels in the downtown DC area were full, yet the expedia company secured me a room within minutes at a better hotel eleven blocks down the street. I think it is unethical for the hotel to not honor a reservation, say it doesn't exist, blame expedia, not offer another room in the area and then pretend they have done nothing wrong. I was traveling on business, and their not taking of their business really interfered with my business plans as I wasted about two hours of my business trip getting a room when I should have just been checked in or given a cab to another local hotel if they and their contractor to whom they had released rooms had overbooked their hotel with too many reservations and not enough rooms.

Room Tip: a room in another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
I am sorry you experienced a problem at your arrival at the hotel. As we discussed and as we advised Expedia, we did not have reservations for you booked by Expedia at our hotel and the hotel rooms were fully occupied when you arrived so we were not able to offer you any room - with or without a reservation. While our staff did try to assist you in locating alternative rooms we were not having success as the city was fully booked. Expedia did make a booking for you at another hotel using one of their room allotments that they usually maintain at other properties as they actually hold rooms in some hotels that we and others do not have access to. We always encourage our travellers to book directly with the hotel if possible.
Northfield, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We wanted a hotel for Easter Weekend that was close to Union Station. This hotel is just one block from the Union Station Metro and convenient to everything near the Capitol. Phoenix Park offered an attractive price for the weekend if paid in full on reservation.
Our room had a big, comfortable king sized bed but unfortunately, the bed filled up about 70% of the floor space. You had to turn sideways to pass between the bed and the dresser! Nicely decorated and well maintained. For a hotel built in the early 20th century, I would expect small rooms but not for the same price as a normal sized hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the reservations line for a larger room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for your visit and we are pleased you found our location ideal and apreciated our historic charm. Our rooms vary in size and many are not large as we frequently comment here. We are one of the best located hotels in Washington across from Union Station and by the US Capitol Building and as you found, are comfortably furnished. Hotels located in the best locations are priced reflecting that location. We thank you again for sharing your comments and we appreciate your business.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Phoenix Park Hotel occupies a very convenient location, near Union Station, just a short walk from the Capitol Building. My "very good" rating is really based on the location of the hotel and cost of our stay. From a critical point of view, the room was a little small and there was some noise from the street (passing emergency vehicles) which occasionally disturbed our sleep. Some of the staff were excellent, but others were unfortunately less competent! Overall our stay was absolutely fine and I would recommend it to those on a budget.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor to distance yourself from the road noise!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for your visit and sharing your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed the hotel and our excellent location. As an historic building, our guest rooms vary in size and are not large as we often state here. I am happy to hear that most of our associates provided excellent service and would certainly like to learn more about those that failed you and would appreciate if you would contact me directly with more details. Thank you again for your visit.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Phoenix Park Hotel is a stone's throw from Union Station. Perfect if you're coming in thru there. Its also very close to the capitol building and then then all points relatively walkable from there. There was a hugh party checking in just before us...but they cranked thru handing out 25 door keys in just a few minutes that there was virtually no wait time. The staff was incredibly friendly especially Jerry at the door ready to assist all matters. It had a very quiet and comfortable feel to it. There's a great bar/ restaurant downstairs 'The Dubliner' that was a fun stop by. We received a very fair rate by booking early. If I went back to DC I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your visit. We are pleased that our team and Jerry at the front door provided speedy service and such a great welcome. We hope you will come again to experience our classic decor, perfect location and Irish hospitality.
Altus, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel on several occasions over recent years, enjoying the central location in D.C., the friendly and attentive staff, the quaint and historic atmosphere of the property, I was very disappointed in this years stay, noting a marked change in the demeanor of the staff for the worse. Our group has booked multiple rooms with the hotel over the last several years, as well as conference and dining rooms for events and receptions. A month or so ahead of our scheduled stay, the hotel informed us the conference rooms we had booked well in advance were no longer available. I was soon obvious they had bumped us in favor of a larger group. Upon check in they confirmed with me that I was staying through April 10th, yet on April 9th they contacted me and claimed I was due to check out that day. This made no sense, as everyone else in our group was booked through the 10th. No amount of negotiation served to resolve this problem and I was forced to change hotels. When my daughter and I returned to our room to pack and leave, we discovered the housekeeping staff had somehow caused my daughter's laptop to end up on the floor, with the disk driver extended and unable to fully retract and close. On another note, we found the water pressure in the bathroom to be substandard as well. Aside from these negatives, I still enjoy the Dubliner Pub associated with the hotel, but regret that we will likely have to seek a different hotel for our annual event in coming years.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
I am sorry to read your comments from your visit. We have been honored to host this group each year and as we discussed last month, our meeting space was fully commited by another group over the same period that had additional space requirements which required us to look for alternative venues for your meeting and dinner event. We booked meeting space next door to the hotel and not only covered the additonal cost but provided all members of your group with breakfast and other special considerations as thanks for your flexibility. We were happy to hear from the other attendees and the organizer comments of how well the space worked and how pleased they were with the alternative meeting set up along with the rooms at the Phoenix Park. So much so that they now desire to use this space again next year! I am sorry we were not able to keep you for the additional night but this room was commited to other arriving guests and your company had not booked this reservation for that evening and with their help, we were able to move you to an alternative hotel next door. We apologize for this inconvenience but we are sure you would expect the same effort if you had be arriving to take this room. We thank you for your business and hope we will welcome you back again in future.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night with my son, we stayed In the king size room...Our stay was excellent and very convenient to Union train Station and national museum. The staff were very friendly and courteous. I totally recommend this hotel. My family and I will be going back for summer and that's where we will be staying. Good job Phoenix Park hotel and Staff!!

• Stayed April 2014
We are so pleased you found us and we helped to make your family visit a special one. We look forward to seeing you back again in the summer.

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!