“Great Location...great beds!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Ranked #39 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Virginia BEach
“Great Location...great beds!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very enjoyable stay. Right next to Union Station and the capital. Great rooms with the classic feel of old DC. Very nice staff! Really cool irish bar right next door. Their food was ok, but great drinks.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and found our beds so comfortable. Thank you for your business.

834 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Efland, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I picked this hotel because of its location, which even I could find when I came out of Union Station. My room was, I think, the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in (but the price was excellent), but it was also very luxurious. It had a chair for reading, which too many hotels don't offer these days. The cable selection was awful, but unlike the one reviewer, I had no probs at all accessing the wifi.

Bed was very comfy, room was quite clean. There was a noisy hallway at times (I was between supply closets that people seemed to ransack a few times each night), but the worst of it was from other customers who don't realize you're supposed to keep things quiet after hours. The adjacent Dubliner restaurant's food was okay, but nothing really to write home about. Reasonable prices for DC, and (unlike other restaurants I tried except one) they had a slight idea of what iced tea was. (It still needed work.)

Some of the staff were quite helpful and some were the opposite. One told me about the fish restaurant down the street, but neglected to mention that their prices are astronomical (but the hotel offers 10% off coupons, which I discovered too late the following day). The Hyatt is around the corner and down a block, if you want a nice restaurant that won't cost you a week's pay. There's a Panera-type shop down the block also and a ratty-looking deli around the corner. Otherwise if you're looking for nearby food, there's Union Station (good luck with that) and nothing else.

The A/C went out for a day-plus of my stay. When I alerted the desk to this (after a hard day's touring in hot Aug-Sept), they apologized, comped me the next day's breakfast at the Dubliner, and mentioned that there was one fan left, which I grabbed. It seemed to me that I shouldn't have to alert the hotel to something they were aware of, and that they should have offered the fan on their own.

Although the hotel has a fine location, I think the next time I visit DC I'll try for something more downtown, within easy-peasy walking distance of sights and restaurants, and maybe with a little more square footage in the room. But definitely, the price here was right (though I kicked myself when I discovered that it was actually more expensive to book through the hotel itself).

Room Tip: I found that booking through the hotel cost more than using a travel service. Why is that?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your visit and sharing your coments. I am pleased you found so many aspects of your visit to your liking. I am sorry you found some of our team less than hospitable and I have reviewed your comments with our team so they are aware. This is certainly not the impression we wish to leave for our guests. The hotel's website will always have the lowest rates and not sure what you may be referring to but we always recommend guests check a property's website for the most current and lowest rate. Thank you again for your business.
Henfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Where to stay in Washington DC? We chose The Phoenix Park Hotel mainly for the central location and price. Located two stone throws from Union Station which is a hop on/off point for all the Bus tour companies. An older style hotel with plenty of charm, comfy en-suite and clean rooms, free Wi-Fi with Irish Pub and food although you could not pre-book an evening meal. The breakfast was excellent and the staff were attentive and helpful.. Although we were only there for one night we would have been happy to stay longer.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room overlooking the streets.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent visit. We appreciate your business.
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for 3 nighs. The hotel locates in very good locaton, close to the Capitol, Union Station. From Station you can get hop-on hop-off bus to explore national Capital, specially night loop started at 7.00PM.
You can walk from hotel to Capitol very easy, just 10-15 minutes.
There is an Irish pub and restaurant on the ground floor.
You can have budget lunch with street-movers kios
we had reservation and paid for 3 adults, but there is only 1 bed in the room. It was a disadvantage for us to sleep.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your visit. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and your stay. Thank you again.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is an older property that has retained a lot of charm. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are small but comfortable. The hotel breakfast is served in a charming "living room" that makes you feel like you are having dinner with grandma. Adjacent to the hotel is an Irish bar called the Dubliner that serves bland but edible food. The restaurant is filled with Hill staffers and there is a lot of electricity to the place. My only complaint to the place is the problem that I had with the doorman. Instead of whistling a street cab, the doorman talked me into using a black limousine parked in the hotel driveway. Not only did the driver not know where he was going - he dropped me off 6 blocks from my intended destination - he overcharged me by $4 and was rude when I questioned him over the charges. My recommendation is to enjoy the ambiance of the hotel but take the street cab and not use the doorman

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your comments and I am sorry about the incident with the towncar. I appreciate being made aware of it so that I can personally take care of this. This is not a practice the hotel supports so I will follow up and correct it. Thank you again for your visit and we hope to welcome you back again in future.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with a mixed experience. The good points: the bed is amazingly comfortable and the location, right across from Union Station, is great. You can walk in 5-10 minutes to the national mall. Adjacent to the hotel is the Irish pub the Dubliner, with reasonable food. The cleaning staff were also very helpful and did a good job keeping the room clean. The room itself was small but nicely decorated, and we were able to check in early at 10am.
The not-so-good points: no wifi in our room (418), discovered we could get access only in the bathroom or by the entrance door, nowhere else. When we contacted front desk about this, the very bored man said he would look into it and call us back, which of course he didn't. The bathroom needs a renovation, it was very small for a double room and the bath base was stained where the enamel had worn off.
Having recently stayed at another hotel where the front desk staff would smile and say hello we found it quite noticeable how unfriendly the front desk and door staff were as we entered or left the hotel, with no smiles or comments, with some looking bored. One staff member ignored us completely when we said hello as we came in one day.
Overall, mixed experience and wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: Don't get room 418.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I appreciate you sharing all your comments from your recent visit and while I am pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us, I am disturbed to read about the lack of welcome and hospitality you experienced. That is not something we typically hear from our guests and is not an impression we wish any guest to have. I aplogize for anything that might have helped to contribute to that and am sharing your comments with our team to ensure others do not have a similar impression in future. Our hotel features both wired and wireless Internet complimentary and as an older hotel construction, it is possible that signal strength may not be consistent in all areas. We do have cables available in every room as a back up for guest convenience. Thank you again for sharing your comments and for your business.
Eugene, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for the first time. Very impressed with the value for the money and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. The rooms tend to be small but it is an old hotel. However, the location can't be beat just a block from Union Station and several blocks from the Capitol. The Dubliner pub attached to the hotel also had good food and good nightly entertainment. All in all, I would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed September 2013
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We are pleased you found our location perfect for your needs and had a good rest. Thank you for your business.

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!