“Great location and value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Park and Save with AAA
Ranked #48 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Raleigh, NC
“Great location and value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We loved staying 1 block from Union Station with the Metro and bus stops AND all of the shops and restaurant choices they have! The hotel area felt safe and on Saturday and Sunday you can even park across the street in the government lot at no charge (not "officially" because they COULD tow you but SHOULD not because the offices are closed on Sat. and Sun.). The room we purchased online was a great last minute deal ($90 per night), and we probably got a tiny room because we did pay that price, but it is fine for 2 people. Pay much more than that for the small Queen room and it would not be as good of a value. I will say though it seems to be the size of a king bed......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and found our location and amenities ideal for your needs. We hope to welcome you back again in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
Encinitas, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

First off, the staff is extremely helpful, friendly, and attentive. They got me everything I needed (including a toothbrush) and I never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for a cab. That said the room I was in felt like I was staying at my parents house. I literally could sit at the end of the bed and do my work at the desk. I couldn't get the desk chair out from under the desk because the end of the bed blocked it. Internet access was awful. The bed was comfortable but the one sitting chair (stuffed into a corner - no place to put your feet but on the bed) was very hard and uncomfortable.

This hotel was within walking distance of a coffee shop and a bank ATM and, if the weather is nice, only a short 10 minute walk to the capital and nearby buildings. It's one block from Union Station and the metro. We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant - very mediocre. Lots of different draft beers but the food - wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to a larger room or a suite. The regular rooms are very small.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate hearing your comments from your recent visit. Our room sizes are not large as we frequently state and size is based on rate catagory so larger rooms are available. We are in the process of expanding our Internet in the building so you will find faster Internet on a return visit after the summer. I am sorry you were not pleased with the Dubliner Restaurant which is located adjacent to the hotel. It is recognized as one of the most popular Irish pubs in America and they endeavor to please all their guests. I will share your comments with them in hopes to avoid similar experience from others. Thank you again for your business.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I just held our wedding at the Phoenix Park Hotel and we have nothing but great things to say. The hotel itself is awesome and is situated in a great location. The Capitol is just down the street and Union Station/Metro is a block away. It provides a good base for sightseeing as it's very accessible to all the big attractions.

The guest rooms, while a bit on the small side, are very nicely decorated and have great beds. The suites are phenomenal. They're huge, nicely appointed and have great views of the city. When my parents had an issue with the air conditioning in their suite, the hotel staff was extremely responsive and quickly addressed the problem.

As for the wedding portion, everything went great. We were able to hold the ceremony in the ballroom, maximize the great second floor space for our dinner and then spend the rest of the evening dancing and drinking back in the ballroom. The space is so nicely decorated, we were able to get away with few decorations and let the inherent room features work for us.

Regarding the staff, Tracy is simply tremendous. She was extremely responsive and helpful throughout the whole process. She's obviously managed weddings before and was at the ready to cover things we didn't even think of. She really helped make our entire weekend run smoothly and could not have been more excellent. Cassell was also very helpful and accommodated all of our random requests. Could not be happier with the support we received from the staff.

In summary, the hotel is great as an event location or just for a weekend trip. The rooms are nice and the staff awesome. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased to have been selected for your special day and delighted that your wedding and your visit was all that you hoped for. All of us thank you for the opportunity to have been of service and best wishes for your new life.
Syracuse, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Hotel was very clean and all of the staff very accomodating and friendly. I would highly recommend this Hotel. Accomodations included helping us with transportation or making recommendations for the best method of transportation to navigate the City, taxi calls, front door service was excellent. The front desk staff were friendly, and always available to answer questions and help in any way they could. The housekeeping staff were always good about making sure we had what we needed and made sure they cleaned when it was convenient for us, not them. Very nice and accomodating housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: We had a suite and a regular room, 2 queen beds. Very spacious and met our needs for our family
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in future. Thank you.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We recently hosted a large convening at the Phoenix Park that was coordinated on very short notice. I could not have been more pleased with the service we received, especially from Cassell Williams- the hotel's banquet manager. Cassell responded to our many requests with a smile and can-do attitude. His flexibility and commitment to ensuring we had the best experience possible made such a difference.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments and we are delighted to hear our team helped to create a memorable event for you. I have shared your comments with Cassell, who is a valued member of our team and he joins me in thanking you for your business. We hope to welcome you back again in future.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

just got back form another great stay in DC. This is my second time to the hotel and i am always impressed with the Service I receive from the Front Desk, Resturant, Housekeeping. David the GM was very helpfull with local information. Thanks David!!!!!

ONE THING. you dont need to bing your car with you. The Hotel is located where you can walk anywhere with in minutes and see monuments and museums. it is also located jsut blocks from the convention center.

Thanks for a great Stay...... We will return.....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
David H, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We appreciate your very kind comments and so pleased that our front desk and team were so friendly and helpful. Thank you for your visit and we hope to welcome you again in future.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've stayed here a few times when I'm in DC - I used to live in the city, and come back occasionally, and this is where I stay when I don't feel like couch-surfing.

You can't beat the location, and being able to wake up to a full Irish breakfast from room service makes me happy and nostalgic (not to mention full of food!). The rates are more than reasonable, especially if you book in advance, which is a large part of what brought me here in the first place.

Only once did I run into issues and that was staying here during the winter - the heat was cranked up way too high and my thermostat did nothing about it. They promptly switched me to a new room, which was an improvement, but I still slept with the window open. Related to that, the front desk staff can be a little quiet (not unfriendly, just sort of introverted for lack of a better term) but everyone I've dealt with from maintenance, etc. has been lovely.

As I mentioned, I have come back here several times and will doubtless continue to do so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
We are pleased you enjoy your regular visits to our hotel and we apologize you had the problem with your A/C and pleased our staff took care of this so quickly. I will review your comments with our Front Office team as this is not the impression we wish to leave our guests. Thank you again for your business.