“Charming!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Ranked #39 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
dc
“Charming!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had a one-day stay at the Phoenix Park over the Easter Weekend - I wish it could have been several days! From the moment you enter, the charm begins. The front desk staff and concierge were extremely corteous, efficient, and solicitous. The lobby, though small, is beautifully decorated with dark hard wood furniture and pannelling, the same goes for the 1920s style elevators. The period theme continues to the guest rooms. Mine was a nice, medium-sized room decorated with period-sytle wall papers in both the living section and the bathroom. Stylish prints were also used for the bed covers, drapes, sheers, and carpeting. Other furniture included a desk and chair, a large armchair, an abundance of lamps, and a large flat screen TV. The bed was extremely comfortable and heat/air controls were in the room. The room and furnishings were very well-maintained given the age of the hotel and - more importantly - it was very clean. The bathroom had all of the conveniences you would expect, including the largest, thickest towels I've ever come across. The hotel is very conveniently located in the the Capitol Hill area within easy walking distance of all the sites. If you want to explore further afield, the Red Line Metro is right across the street at Union Station, where you'll also find lots of shopping and dining options. I completely plan to stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My weekend in Washington Dc, was all I that I had hope for, the trip was amazing and the Phoenix Park Hotel looked exactly the way it was portrayed on the web site. The check in time took minutes. I really liked that, I arrived that Friday March 22, on my birthday, My celebration had begun, The hotel was so close, to everything I wanted to do, mostly the museums. I was off the train and in my hotel within minutes. Yes, I can truly say, that this is the first time that my visit to Dc, did not amount to so much money being spend in cab fare. My hotel room was really very comfortable, and the bed was so comfortable as well. I only have one complaint, that I am no sure, if this was my fault or if this was an oversight, that was not told to me as I checked in,
I was not aware that a hold was placed on my account in the amount of 100.00 dollars. Now I have stayed in numerous hotels, in various cities, and I'm very aware of the charges that will be held on my account to covered any damages or extra, not including the hotel bill. I used my card at the Newseum, and it was declined, had I know that that such a large amount was held, I could have compensated for the hold, but I was never informed, this happen more than once, My trip was turning into a nightmare. I finally went to the front desk, and was then told, that yes a hold was placed on my card. This could have been a total nightmare, had I not had extra cash. Of all my visits to DC. this was the best, and the worst. When I went to the front desk, I was told that I should have been informed. The man at the desk apologize to me, but if he only knew, the many times that my card was declined, while I was trying to celebrate my birthday. Once again had I known, it would have been a completely different story. I just know that I will alway ask the amount that will be held, I will never wait to be inform again, checking in any hotel, from now on, my first question will be, how much money, will be held on my credit card. The problem with the noncommunication concerning my card, put a damper on my visit, but all in all, thank goodness for cash. The weekend was saved, and all that I wanted to do in Dc was still afforable. Yes the staircase was beautiful, and the staff was excellent. I can truly say that I will stay at the Phoenix Park Hotel again, but I won't wait to be informed, I will ask questions, thank-you, another birthday in the history books, at the Phoenix Park Hotel.

Room Tip: Always ask questions, about the view, My view was really good, I was overlooking the new Postal muse...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have stayed here MANY times as we visit DC to see our daughter who attends a near by University. We love the location. Our experience with the staff has been exceptional. They are always attentive and accommodating. The location couldn't be better. You can walk across the street for the red line, or two blocks in the other direction will bring you to the Capitol end of the mall. The attached restaurant has wonderful Irish pub food and atmosphere. We will certainly return to the Phoenix long after our daughter has moved on from her University!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mackay, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

So very convenient to the major transit station & less than a $10 cab fare to most of the monuments & many activities in DC. As a solo traveller I felt comfortable walking to/from the hotel to the station and other nearby restaurants etc. the rooms were beautiful. Well maintained & very clean & comfortable. Unfortunately I found the reception & concierge staff to be unwelcoming. It was like eveything was such an effort - i didn't see any smiles from them in 5 days. The two times I ate in the restaurant the service was average & my menu's has stains on them & were sticky (dirty).

• Stayed March 2013
Montclair, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stumbled upon this hotel on hotels.com and I definitely plan on returning. All I needed was a place to sleep - was out all day at meetings and then a dinner, so for one person traveling solo, this was a dream come true.

Room was very small, but again, not an issue. The great things I'll highlight are:

1: It wasn't just clean, it was IMMACULATE. The room, the bathroom - truly impressive.

2. It was QUIET! Right across the street from Union Station and I slept like a dead person.

3. Speaking of which - the bed was super comfortable - like baby bear "just right" comfortable. NOTE: THE BED WAS A LITTLE HIGH. At 5'3 I had to kind of jump up on it. So if you have a physical challenge of any kind definitely tell them when you reserve.

I didn't go the the restaurant but it was hopping - and the breakfast looked great, but again i can't vouch for it. But being 3 minutes away from Union Station at that price was invaluable!

• Stayed March 2013
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I travel a lot, review often, and can be pretty critical - I like folks to know what to expect. The Pheonix Park dates to an era gone by, so one can't use a modern hotel as a basis of comparison. For example, the elevators are 'phone booth' size, as they were built in the early 1900's, but that's part of the charm, and they are quite elegant. The hotel tries hard to be 1st class, and actually does a pretty good job of it. Simply put, it's an historic hotel and not a lot has changed. That isn't to say it isn't well maintained, it is. It is full of antiques, and the rooms have incorporated some up-to-date furnishings, like a flat screen cherry consol or lamps with outlets, that blend well with the older (but elegant) furniture. The beds are comfortable beyond description. They are HIGH off the ground & they even provide a step stool to get in bed - it works! Wallpaper, drapes, & carpet are upscale. Bath is upscale with more modern appointments. Windows are old (painted wood), but nice, & windowe treatment excellent. Heat/ac unit is an obvious add-on, works well, is quiet, & built into a wall. Embroidered robes are provided. Rooms are very small, typical of a turn-of-the-century city hotel ....and not the turn of this recent century.
The elegance, location, & charm add to the value. However, the age & room size bring the market value back down somewhat. I'd say it's a reasonable value at the $250 we paid for 2 beds. You can certainly find a better hotel for this sum or less in DC, but considering everything, location not the least, that's a reasonable value. I have seen the hotel at times priced in the $300 plus range, and that's probably too much for this hotel. I base this on having stayed in many DC hotels, from the $150 range (Hilton Garden Inn a couple blocks from the White House - off season) up to the Mandarin Oriental at roughly $600 plus.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay & enjoyed the attached pub, The Dubliner, a notable Irish pub. It serves authentic Irish cuisine from a sheppard's pie to a 3 inch thick corned beef sandwhich ($12). A great atmosphere, but a VERY loud pub.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great service, very clean room with updated "old world" charm. Walking distance to Capitol Hill, Union Station, metro stop, some museums. Free wifi was completely dependable. Quiet inside, despite being on a busy street. Look for special prices online at hotel website - might need to lock in 30 days in advance, so it can pay to plan ahead. Go for it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view - I did and my request was honored.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!