“Great find in DC!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Ranked #42 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Montclair, NJ
“Great find in DC!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stumbled upon this hotel on hotels.com and I definitely plan on returning. All I needed was a place to sleep - was out all day at meetings and then a dinner, so for one person traveling solo, this was a dream come true.

Room was very small, but again, not an issue. The great things I'll highlight are:

1: It wasn't just clean, it was IMMACULATE. The room, the bathroom - truly impressive.

2. It was QUIET! Right across the street from Union Station and I slept like a dead person.

3. Speaking of which - the bed was super comfortable - like baby bear "just right" comfortable. NOTE: THE BED WAS A LITTLE HIGH. At 5'3 I had to kind of jump up on it. So if you have a physical challenge of any kind definitely tell them when you reserve.

I didn't go the the restaurant but it was hopping - and the breakfast looked great, but again i can't vouch for it. But being 3 minutes away from Union Station at that price was invaluable!

• Stayed March 2013

765 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I travel a lot, review often, and can be pretty critical - I like folks to know what to expect. The Pheonix Park dates to an era gone by, so one can't use a modern hotel as a basis of comparison. For example, the elevators are 'phone booth' size, as they were built in the early 1900's, but that's part of the charm, and they are quite elegant. The hotel tries hard to be 1st class, and actually does a pretty good job of it. Simply put, it's an historic hotel and not a lot has changed. That isn't to say it isn't well maintained, it is. It is full of antiques, and the rooms have incorporated some up-to-date furnishings, like a flat screen cherry consol or lamps with outlets, that blend well with the older (but elegant) furniture. The beds are comfortable beyond description. They are HIGH off the ground & they even provide a step stool to get in bed - it works! Wallpaper, drapes, & carpet are upscale. Bath is upscale with more modern appointments. Windows are old (painted wood), but nice, & windowe treatment excellent. Heat/ac unit is an obvious add-on, works well, is quiet, & built into a wall. Embroidered robes are provided. Rooms are very small, typical of a turn-of-the-century city hotel ....and not the turn of this recent century.
The elegance, location, & charm add to the value. However, the age & room size bring the market value back down somewhat. I'd say it's a reasonable value at the $250 we paid for 2 beds. You can certainly find a better hotel for this sum or less in DC, but considering everything, location not the least, that's a reasonable value. I have seen the hotel at times priced in the $300 plus range, and that's probably too much for this hotel. I base this on having stayed in many DC hotels, from the $150 range (Hilton Garden Inn a couple blocks from the White House - off season) up to the Mandarin Oriental at roughly $600 plus.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay & enjoyed the attached pub, The Dubliner, a notable Irish pub. It serves authentic Irish cuisine from a sheppard's pie to a 3 inch thick corned beef sandwhich ($12). A great atmosphere, but a VERY loud pub.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great service, very clean room with updated "old world" charm. Walking distance to Capitol Hill, Union Station, metro stop, some museums. Free wifi was completely dependable. Quiet inside, despite being on a busy street. Look for special prices online at hotel website - might need to lock in 30 days in advance, so it can pay to plan ahead. Go for it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view - I did and my request was honored.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lakewood, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Phoenix Park Hotel in DC at the end of February/beginning of March, 2013, for work. The location across from Union Station is perfect if arriving by bus, train, etc... The hotel staff were very welcoming and helpful. We had two rooms on the 9th floor. My room had a GREAT view of Union Station and the Postal Museum. The room was very clean. I had read online that the rooms were smaller than expected...so going in I knew this - and yes, they are small, but fit what I needed! They are unique and comfortable! And the Dubliner Restaurant & Pub attached is a great place! They provide breakfast for hotel guests...which was very good! And it's a great place for lunch...dinner...and of course a few drinks!! And there is Irish music every night - which was a bonus! I loved walking out the front door and seeing the Capitol just a few short blocks away! This is a great location - easily within walking distance to the Capitol. I didn't have a lot of time so I don't know how far of a walk to other locations...but if you are up for it, I'm sure it is very doable!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Union Station have a great view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First of all, I want to let you know that my wife & I are not the picky type. Just give us a clean room with a comfortable bed, good shower, & helpful staff & we are happy. The Phoenix fits this discription very well.
With just a little more work the Phoenix could go from being a good hotel to a great hotel with just a little more effort.
What the Phoenix could do:
1. There was a coffe maker in the room with several packets. It would be nice to have some coffee already made in the lobby and maybe a bowl of fruit.
2. In the lobby you could get a newspapper (except Sunday there wasn't one). It would have been nice to have one in front of our door.
3. Good news: the room had a small fridge. Bad news: the door to the fridge was broken which made it hard to get into.
4. Good news: there were plenty of outlets to plug in Kindles, phones, etc. Bad news: some of the outlets were cracked.
5. Good news: the temp. in the room was nice & warm. Bad news: the bathroom was quite cold because the window was stuck open & couldn't be closed (no problem; we just stopped the draft with a bath towel).
6. Good news: there was a great Irish restaurant attached to the hotel. Bad news: the odor of fish came up through the elevators (good news: I like the smell of fried fish)
All in all, we would stay here when we visit Washington:
A. The location: we took the train from Norfolk & Union Station was only a couple of blocks from the hotel. (Also, you can catch the Metro from the station; another plus)
B. The staff: every person we came in contact with were polite & helpful. That means a lot. We got to the hotel from the station at 9:00 am & they gave us a room which was a blessing since we had been on the train for 4 hours.
C. The hotel itself: The Phoenix is not a modern hotel that you see every day. It reminded me of some of the quaint places that you find in European cities; a one-of-kind establishment. The rooms might be on the small side like their European counterparts, but they are very cozy,and, after all, how much time are you going to stay in your room anyway? We liked the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and i came to Washington, DC for a weekend get away & this was our first time staying at the phoneix park hotel and i must say it won't be the last. From the moment we checked in till the moment we checked out it was amazing. Ezi, the most kindest front desk clerk we've ever encoutered, greeted us with a smile and was very professional upon check-in. He welcomed us and asked if this was our 1st time at the hotel and of course we told him yes, so he gave us a little bit of history about the hotel and it amenities. He answered all of our questions with no problem, and gave us some nice recomendations for dinner. He gave a nice room on the eight floor with a gorgeous view of the city at night. Our housekeeper always greeted us and was very courteous. We didnt really spend to much time at the dubliner because it was always crowded, but that wasn't really a problem. We ate at a seafood restaurant that was a block away from the hotel which was really good (Thanks Ezi). The hotel has a very nice irish theme and is only a block away from the metro, which is very convenient. We will definitely be back next year!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel is perfecly located. Its just short walking distance to:

- National Mall (sighseeing, museums)
- Union Station (Amtrak, Greyhound and other arive/depart there, so you dont need a cab to get to/from the hotel)
- Metro Station (we took metro to get to Reagan National Airport - cheap and efficient!)

Rooms are spacious, clean and nicely decorated (trust the desctiprion and photos on hotel`s website!) Breakfast was delicious and abundant, Wi-Fi was free and fast.

We spent one and half days in Washington and were up to walking, so we didnt use any transport to get to the key places of interest.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone (try booking websites for special offers and discounts! we saved about $100 per stay)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!