“Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Phoenix Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Phoenix Park Hotel to your Saves list
Phoenix Park Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   520 North Capitol St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (National Mall)   |
Ranked #39 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Lakewood, Ohio
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Phoenix Park Hotel in DC at the end of February/beginning of March, 2013, for work. The location across from Union Station is perfect if arriving by bus, train, etc... The hotel staff were very welcoming and helpful. We had two rooms on the 9th floor. My room had a GREAT view of Union Station and the Postal Museum. The room was very clean. I had read online that the rooms were smaller than expected...so going in I knew this - and yes, they are small, but fit what I needed! They are unique and comfortable! And the Dubliner Restaurant & Pub attached is a great place! They provide breakfast for hotel guests...which was very good! And it's a great place for lunch...dinner...and of course a few drinks!! And there is Irish music every night - which was a bonus! I loved walking out the front door and seeing the Capitol just a few short blocks away! This is a great location - easily within walking distance to the Capitol. I didn't have a lot of time so I don't know how far of a walk to other locations...but if you are up for it, I'm sure it is very doable!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Union Station have a great view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First of all, I want to let you know that my wife & I are not the picky type. Just give us a clean room with a comfortable bed, good shower, & helpful staff & we are happy. The Phoenix fits this discription very well.
With just a little more work the Phoenix could go from being a good hotel to a great hotel with just a little more effort.
What the Phoenix could do:
1. There was a coffe maker in the room with several packets. It would be nice to have some coffee already made in the lobby and maybe a bowl of fruit.
2. In the lobby you could get a newspapper (except Sunday there wasn't one). It would have been nice to have one in front of our door.
3. Good news: the room had a small fridge. Bad news: the door to the fridge was broken which made it hard to get into.
4. Good news: there were plenty of outlets to plug in Kindles, phones, etc. Bad news: some of the outlets were cracked.
5. Good news: the temp. in the room was nice & warm. Bad news: the bathroom was quite cold because the window was stuck open & couldn't be closed (no problem; we just stopped the draft with a bath towel).
6. Good news: there was a great Irish restaurant attached to the hotel. Bad news: the odor of fish came up through the elevators (good news: I like the smell of fried fish)
All in all, we would stay here when we visit Washington:
A. The location: we took the train from Norfolk & Union Station was only a couple of blocks from the hotel. (Also, you can catch the Metro from the station; another plus)
B. The staff: every person we came in contact with were polite & helpful. That means a lot. We got to the hotel from the station at 9:00 am & they gave us a room which was a blessing since we had been on the train for 4 hours.
C. The hotel itself: The Phoenix is not a modern hotel that you see every day. It reminded me of some of the quaint places that you find in European cities; a one-of-kind establishment. The rooms might be on the small side like their European counterparts, but they are very cozy,and, after all, how much time are you going to stay in your room anyway? We liked the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and i came to Washington, DC for a weekend get away & this was our first time staying at the phoneix park hotel and i must say it won't be the last. From the moment we checked in till the moment we checked out it was amazing. Ezi, the most kindest front desk clerk we've ever encoutered, greeted us with a smile and was very professional upon check-in. He welcomed us and asked if this was our 1st time at the hotel and of course we told him yes, so he gave us a little bit of history about the hotel and it amenities. He answered all of our questions with no problem, and gave us some nice recomendations for dinner. He gave a nice room on the eight floor with a gorgeous view of the city at night. Our housekeeper always greeted us and was very courteous. We didnt really spend to much time at the dubliner because it was always crowded, but that wasn't really a problem. We ate at a seafood restaurant that was a block away from the hotel which was really good (Thanks Ezi). The hotel has a very nice irish theme and is only a block away from the metro, which is very convenient. We will definitely be back next year!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel is perfecly located. Its just short walking distance to:

- National Mall (sighseeing, museums)
- Union Station (Amtrak, Greyhound and other arive/depart there, so you dont need a cab to get to/from the hotel)
- Metro Station (we took metro to get to Reagan National Airport - cheap and efficient!)

Rooms are spacious, clean and nicely decorated (trust the desctiprion and photos on hotel`s website!) Breakfast was delicious and abundant, Wi-Fi was free and fast.

We spent one and half days in Washington and were up to walking, so we didnt use any transport to get to the key places of interest.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone (try booking websites for special offers and discounts! we saved about $100 per stay)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel & staff were very nice & professional. The room was clean & quaint but small, okay for 1 person. I found it hard to navigate in the bathroom because you have to close the door in order to get into the bathtub. Since I was alone I found that inconvenient. There is no pool at this hotel which is nice to have if you want to exercise in the water. I found it alittle expensive for what was offered. The 9th floor has beautiful decor. I stayed for 3 nights. Staff were very helpful

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night and I was glad to leave.
My room was pretty small, but it felt even smaller because of the horrible decoration - wallpaper, borders and lampshades all had gaudy patterns that made me feel like I had been transported back in time to a 1980s retirement home. This feeling was reinforced by the bathroom, where there was an old brown plastic shower with hardly any water pressure situated in what felt like a huge white plastic box with a seat inside.
I did have a reasonable night's sleep, despite being able to clearly hear the TV from the next door room through the connecting door.
Breakfast was served in the adjoining pub - there was a very limited number of options to choose on the menu and it was poor value compared to the buffet breakfasts offered by many other hotels.
Overall, I'd say this place needs to be brought into the 21st century if they're going to charge 21st century prices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hackensack, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading all the reviews this hotel seemed like a good choice since we were travelling by train from NYC to DC. It was in a convenient location for access to food and transportation but outside of the train station the area is pretty dead in terms of amenities. The hotel itself is nice but was bothered by the smell of fried food in the lobby oozing from the onsite Irish pub. When we arrived I was told the room we requested with two doubles was not available and we instead received a "king" (seemed a little smaller but maybe it was just my perception) and a pull-out couch. The pullout made it hard to walk through the room and was not comfortable, although my son was OK with it.

There is another Irish pub right next door and the Sat. night crowd outside smoking woke me up well into the night. There was no heat in the bathroom (although the room itself was very warm), the floor was ice cold and it was unpleasant to take a bath. The room was also sandwiched between two storage rooms and we could hear the cleaning staff talking to each other and watching TV which was a little distracting.

Despite these comments, in general we enjoyed our stay in this older hotel as it is otherwise charming and the location is convenient for sightseeing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!