“great location for campus tours” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Washington Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20037   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Omaha, Nebraska
“great location for campus tours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our family was in Washington DC for a long weekend to tour Georgetown and George Washington University campuses. The hotel was in a perfect location as it put us within walking distance of both universities. The neighborhood felt very safe and there were many attractions within walking distance as well. I should mention our family is accostumed to walking a lot.
The hotel itself is a bit older, but essentially clean. Our room seemed smaller than it appeared on the internet, but the hotel staff and service was great. We did have a very noisy air conditioning unit, but because we were only staying there one night, I did not address this concern. The free breakfast buffet was very nice and easily satisfied my two teen eaters. The exercise room is small and does not have a lot of equipment, but I was the only one using the facilities at 6am, so there was no problem, and the room and equpiment worked well and was clean. All in all, we were very pleased with the hotel's location, price and overall accomodations.
One surprise in Washington DC, however, were the rats that are out at night. I did not see any evidence of this problem in the hotel, but was quite surprised when taking a late night stroll around the White House to discover the large number of "nocturnal squirrels". It can be disturbing if you have a fear of rodentia. But I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GWUInnGM, General Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear KES91165,

Than you for taking the time to review our hotel. I truly appreciate the comments regarding our team, as well as the positive comments about the location, etc.

I must admit, that I had not heard of "nocturnal squirrels" previously, but plan to use this phrase in the future! As you can probably imagine we have a rather aggressive preventiative program in place to avoid any visitors.

I hope you wiull visit us again if your son or daughter chooses one of our local universities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Kingston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel since my son was a freshman at George Washington University. He is now a senior, and I just recently spent Parent's Weekend in DC at One Washington Circle. Wonderful experience, again and again and again. Every time I left I was greeted, and every time i returned I was welcomed back. The doormen and the front desk couldn't have been nicer. The accommodations were beautiful, very spacious... and I was able to check in at 1:30, which was a bonus! Already booked for Graduation week! And the location is absolutely perfect! Walking distance to both M Street and the Monuments and Museums. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen042882,

Thank you so much for your review! It is always rewarding to learn that we have made a freind for such a long period of time. What an amazing thing to have your son graduating from school. We certainly hope that he will stay in Washington so you can continue to visit!

I do wish to thank you for your great comments about teh staff. They really do appreciate it and I am happy they continue to mek your experiences so memorable and pleasant.

Hopefully we can meet on your next visit. Thank you again for your comments.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our online reservation was mysteriously lost, causing costly and time consuming calls to the booking agency to determine what the cause of the problem was (One Washington Circle's incompetent staff). After our stay, mysterious charges appeared on the credit card which were not explained. When calling the hotel (from Australia) to attempt to get an explanation, the staff repeatedly put us on hold, causing more expensive phone calls.

A truly awful customer experience!! Avoid this hotel like the plague!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere better for the money!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jolian S,

I am so sorry you had such a poor experience wiuth us. This type of experience is not typical and the entire team is disappointed. While I am unaware of the specific details regarding the charges and lost reservation, I would be happy to assist you in anyway possible to try and regain your trust.

While I do not wish additional expense or furstation, I would like to learn more details of what occurred. I also cannot provide you with my contact information through this medium. If you could send me an email through the "contact us" section on our website, I will receive your email and we can be in touch directly.

My apologies again for the experience that you had. I hope to hear from you.
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The hotel location with respect to transportation, easy acess to The Mall, restaurants and shops is very good. The hotel room was very big and confortable, with a kitchen, dressing room, sofa, table and chairs. The room could not be better and perfectly clean. Lots of TV channels and free wireless internet. Perfect for holidays or work. The hotel staff was always helpful and friendly. The american breakfast buffet was good, although not included in the room price.
The only negative side of the stay, were the ambulances at the midle of the night. Specialy on Friday and Saturday nights. That is because the hospital and emergency entrance are just across the Washington Circe.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the Washington Circle are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear CSNunes,

Thank you for such a great review of our property. You identified so many things that really make our hotel and team so special. I am certainly pleased you had such a memorable stay with us.

I am sorry about the sirens...we are looking at ways to combat this, but have been unable to identify a workable solution yet.

I hope you will stay with us again if you come to Washington!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was attending a conference at the Ritz just a couple of blocks away and needed an extra night before the conference started. I lucked onto this property with an internet search. Arrived at about 1:30 am after a day of travel and a cab ride from Baltimore airport. The staff could not have been nicer. Upgraded my room. The rooms are cozy, comfortable and spacious. I almost wish I was staying there for the whole conference. Only a couple of blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro station, it is a great location. You shold really consider this nice little find on your next trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear tlagyn,

We wish you would have stayed with us for the whole trip too! However, the team is proud that you enjoyed your night with us and will consider us again in the future. I truly appreciate the comments about the team.

Thank you for taking the time to write about us; I know this takes your personal time and I really appreciate it.
Central Point, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Large, wonderful rooms. Staff was so friendly. They remember us by name every evening when we returned. Always a smile and asked us how things were. Jamal was particularly great. Very conveniently located, only a couple of minutes to metro. Walking distance to Georgetown, shopping and sights. Although a decent walk for the the monuments, a nice way to do it and get in a little exercise while you're at it. A tip for a better nights sleep, ask for a room on the quiet if you're a light sleeper. Sirens due to the location of the hospital are common. However the view are better on the circle. Very comfortable beds. Kitchens are well equipped and even come with coffee beans and grinder for a cup of fresh coffee in the morning! Loved it!!

Room Tip: Rooms not on the circle are quieter, but if you want the better views, stay on the circle!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear cruisincally,

Jamal was so excited to see his name on your review. He is relatively new to pur property and this was his first Trip Advisor comment since joing the team. I am so glad he helped to make your stay that much more enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I hope you will choose our hotel again in the future.
Luanda, Angola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Very good location – just upon Washington Circle and few steps away from Pennsylvania Avenue. Foggy Bottom subway station is 3 minutes away.
The reception staff is not so friendly, but efficient. We arrived at the hotel around 13:00 and they didn’t allow us to check in – they said not before 15:00. For someone coming from 2 hours train trip from Philadelphia, that sound really unpleasant. They kept the rule, but not me coming back again.
The concierge was always trying to help and being friendly, but we kept always the idea that it was only for the tip and not genuine.
Good, enormous, comfortable, not so clean room. Large and convenient balcony. Two queen beds. Flat screen TV and mp3 dock station. Large but not so modern bathroom. A 6ft x 9ft kitchen well equipped.
A/C in good condition and working very well.
A little bit expensive. It is a functional but not cozy hotel. If you’re staying a little bit longer or if you care for some extra comfort and design, then this is not the hotel for you – and I’m sure you can find a better one for the same price amount.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear HoratioGentil,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. First, I appreciate the positive comments regarding the hotel. I was disappointed that we could not handle your early arrival, this is typically not a problem at all, especially at 1PM; however we obviously did not make this happen and I would like to apologize for that. While our policy is 3PM, we always try to get folks in early if at all possible.

I am hopeful you will give us another try shouldyour travels bring you back to Washington.