“They charged my credit card twice” 1 of 5 stars

Channel Inn Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   650 Water St SW, Washington DC, DC 20024-2422   |
Ranked #110 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“They charged my credit card twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Do not stay at this hotel! They charged my credit card for another $300+ although my room was already paid for through Priceline. They kept telling me it's a hold on the credit card but the transaction was already cleared which means it's not a hold anymore.
Also, when I arrived at the front desk I requested a double room. They said they can do it for an extra $20 dollars. When I went upstairs, it's still a king size room. So I went down to tell them they made a mistake, they changed their words and said they never said I can get double bed and that they are fully booked! The front desk stuff is unprofessional and rude.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel was by far the cheapest rate we could find. The hotel staff was very nice and answered our questions about how to get places. The room was comfortable. The decor was indeed dated, but we didn't come to town to see the hotel. Free parking is HUGE in this town.

The hidden gem here is the hotel bar at happy hour. The bartender pours them up right and treats you like you have already left him a c-note tip. I have never had so much booze per drink during a happy hour anywhere. Kudos!

Room Tip: Ask for something overlooking the water.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am currently a guest at this hotel and this is the second night in a row that the music coming from the "events room" downstairs has been extremely loud. I'm staying in one of the rooms above this events room and it's impossible to rest. I called the front desk and they said they "couldn't do anything about it" because that room has been rented out and they have no control over it. It's almost 11 pm and the music keeps playing very, very loud. No manager in the property. The owner was in the building earlier today as I was told by the front desk and, when I requested to talk to him, I was told he wasn't available because "he was taking a walk in the building" - really?
Don't even consider this hotel if you want to have a pleasant stay in Washington D.C. For the same price, you get other hotels even closer to downtown. What a waste of money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Fraser, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is not an inexpensive hotel by any means. Maybe for DC standards I guess. The front desk personnel was not knowledgeable about the city. He couldn't answer any questions. Not terrible but annoying for a place like DC. We parked in their underground garage (thankful for free parking). The room is SO dated!! Needs an immediate remodel. Peeling wallpaper stains on the ceiling, nasty old blankets and gross bedspreads. When we got up to the room the maid was still in the middle of cleaning it (not her fault but poor management). She finally left and as we were getting settled she burst back into the room with her key because she forgot to put towels in the bathroom. Luckily none of us were undressed! There is no Do Not Disturb sign to be found. The next morning I was going to leave a sign saying No Service but didn't have to because before 8:30 the maids were yelling to each other up and down the hall so I just went out there and asked them to skip our room. She assured me they wouldn't enter. When we returned from our day they had been in the room. So needless to say I would not come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had to go to our daughter's graduation at GWU, This is an older property that is located on the waterfront with great views of the boats and planes taking off and landing from our balcony. We got a junior suite for $140 per night that included covered parking. The room had a king bend and pull out sofa bed. There was a desk with two chairs, a wing chair with an otteman and a coffee table. there is a sink in the makeup area and one in the bath. The shower was GREAT. Strong pressure and plenty of hot water. The coffee shop was great. It has a food line where eggs, pancakes, waffles etc are made to order. It was an easy walk to the National Mall and the museums. The place was very clean and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very convenience for tourists! Good location. Free parking. Two blocks to subway, amazing fish and sea food market with very good price! My room was clean, spacious and comfortable, the staff ( Joseff) were most helpful, speak russian .I will definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are quieter and have nice view on marina.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

One night stay, passing through on business. Check in was quick and easy, the rooms were clean enough, but our view of the gross pool was a turn off. The hotel restaurant menu looked good but they closed by 9 pm, and there was no entertainment in the bar on a Thursday night, although they had a stage set up for a band or karaoke. The mixed drinks were very good, however. There was a hopping outdoor bar just down the street but even that was dead by 10:30 pm. Big plus is that they had room for us to park our U-Haul moving van, which is apparently a difficult proposition in DC. The price was right, but I wouldn't consider this a destination hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Channel Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!