“Worst place I have ever been” 1 of 5 stars

The Allen Lee
2224 F St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Ranked #120 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Budapest
“Worst place I have ever been”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We only spent two nights in this "hotel", but it was terrible.
The room was as small as our bed and we were not able to close the bathroom's door either. It was dirty and smells bad. It was noisy too as the elevator was next to the room, and the window was broken.. Plus there were bugs in our room on the bed! It was horrible.
If it would be not enough negative, the breakfast was really nothing, so this place should be a hostel from 20 dollar/ night except of 120 dollar which is toooooo much for that place.
I do not recommend it to anyone..

Room Tip: Do not choose anyone!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We are on a trip from Boston via New York to Washington. I have booked all hotels in the Internet and all based on the reviews I read. And all was great. Untill the Allen Lee.

The place is run down and in a horrible shape. Already the first impression is a bummer since tha facade is broken down and the "newly painted" hotel presents itself in a desastrous state. Walking into the lobby makes things even worse. It smells and its uncomfortable. The staff is friendly and gave us the chance to check out the room first. Which we finally better would not have done because it makes things even worse. The bathroom is tiny and the room too. There is no space to store things. No WLAN in the rooms at all. And this all for 120 Dollars per room an night.

Finally. We took the penalty and walked and payed one night. A total loss but still better then staying there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to DC as a friend of mine (who clearly does not use trip advisor) booked it as budget accommodation for our group.
Check in was painful and slow, our basement room was so small we had to keep our bags on our bed (even when sleeping), there is a very odd smell which lingers and the bathroom (private) was full of hair and mould. Other highlights include the least comfortable bed I have ever slept on & the lobby which is used as a halfway house by non guests.

To be fair in my review the place is cheap, is relatively well positioned and has free wifi. Despite this I would not recommend to anyone travelling to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have travelled most of Europe, some of Asia and a lot of the United States. This has been the worst stay of my travels.
The hotel location is good. Central foggy bottom district. 3 minute walk to the metro, walkable to white house and Lincoln memorials. Nice area.

The hotel however is shocking. It is run down both outside and in. It needs a total renovation.

We were given room 107 in the basement. Literally below street level. It was tiny. The beds were 2 roll away army surplus beds, the mattresses were destroyed and the place felt dirty.

The tiny room came with 2 beds in end on end with one another along a wall. An old dresser, an old tv, an old aircon unit in the window and randomly an old microwave. Oh and fly catching tape hanging from the ceiling.

The paint was pealing off, the plaster on the walls was missing lumps, then floor felt dirty, the bathroom had stains and mildew everywhere and the shower had brown residue in most corners.

The sort of place you just want out of. We also had a family across the hall which appeared to have 3 kids plus mum and dad in a single room including a new born who cried the entire 4 days. Everything audible between rooms. To make matters worse on our final night we came back to find our floor covered in water and some of our bags wet.

The ceiling above us was leaking onto the beds and floor. The walls were ballooning out with water bubbles. It was just horrible.

They moved us next door to another room which was smaller again. Prison cell small. I'll attach photos.

The beds in here were worse. Didn't think it possible. My mattress was so old it was essentially a hammock. I couldn't sleep on it so moved back to the wet room and slept on a dry bed with the water dripping around me for the night.

We complained to front desk the next morning who didn't want to do anything about it. Offered us 10% refund on 1 night accommodation. The rooms are not cheap either! We were paining $120 usd a night! I've stayed in luxury for that around the usa!

Finally after much arguing, arrogant replies and several angry phone calls to her manager in rapid fire french they agreed to refund us 1 night.

One thing I would recommend with Washington dc. Don't stay here. Even if it's central, stay out of town a bit as long as you're near a metro stop you're fine. The metros are soo efficient and easy to use.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling the US for 2 months now, have spent 3 months previously traveling Europe and have never experienced worse accommodation!

This place calls itself a hotel... At best it's a hostel. We got placed in a basement room. Only enough room to house our two ROLL AWAY beds and our luggage. A small tv (which didn't work) & a fridge. We had a door to a bathroom but that was shared with the room opposite.... Oooh and I can't forget the sticky fly catching tape hanging from the ceiling.

I can only assume this is being used as a halfway home, I spoke to another girl there who told me the govt were paying for her to stay there a month. Our neighbors across the hall was a family of 4 staying in a room with 1 double bed, mother & 3 kids under 5... The walls in this place are so super thin we could hear her shouting at them from 5am through till midnight!

The final straw was when we returned for our final night we had flooding in our room. Water was all over the floor and gathering in balls on the ceiling. We complained & got moved next door. Again 2 ROLL AWAY beds, one of which the springs were so far gone u hit the floor when sitting on it. But this room didn't even have enough floor space for our bags.

We complained again in the morning. The girl behind the desk did not want to talk to us. She tried getting rid of us but we weren't about to leave easily. Tried offering us 10% off final night ($12) which I thought was an insult! Told her to spend a night down there, see if she wanted to pay $120 a night for it. After further arguements she took our card and refunded final night, no oppologies given.

This is a warning to everyone... Do not stay here! As my heading suggests, I would rather sleep in my car than go through that again!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is for you if:
- you don't mind hair other then yours in the bedsheets upon your arrival
- you don't mind the sense-awakening smell of old carpet and pipes.
- you enjoy hair in your jam for breakfast
- you call breakfast bread with jam and socks juice for coffee (and nothing else). Rest assured, its included.
- you rent a room in a slum-like favela and found the experience rejuvenating. The building is indeed decrepit both inside and outside. Just like you like them to be.
- you like being told by the staff to fetch your own taxi when it can extend the pinky and call one for you.
- you appreciate conversing with the outer world while being in the bathroom. The curtain reaches only 7/10th of window in such a way that while sitting DC can see you.
- you're used to your room doorknob falling when you pull it.

That sums up my experience and I'm writting this review with still one night to go.

On a positive note:
- the staff is reasonably friendly.
- the location is great - 10 mn walk from Foggy bottom subway and 20 min from the city center and white house.
- AC works.
- the neighbourhood is safe.
- most importantly: it's cheap. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Don't expect more than a room and bed and you won't be disappointed. One night two blocks from daughters appt during graduation for under $100. Why waste money on anything better if all you need is a safe place to sleep. Close enough to GW that safety wa not an issue.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to The Allen Lee? Share your experiences!