“cheap but not very nice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Allen Lee

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washington DC
The Allen Lee
You added The Allen Lee to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2224 F St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Ranked #127 of 137 Hotels in Washington DC
New York
“cheap but not very nice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

paint is peeling everywhere, they have mice traps behind the heaters (never a good sign) and the rooms are pretty shabby.

However, it's very cheap and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Also it's in a great location - right near a station, a wholefoods and positioned to be walking distance from Georgetown and the mall.

I'd recommend it if you plan on not spending much time in the room at all and it's for a short period, but if you want somewhere nice, don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kate1617

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed there this past weekend. The hotel is fine. It is in a great location down the street from the Lincoln Memorial, the Kennedy Ctr and the Foggy Bottom/GWU subway. The decor is basic (plain room with some shred in carpet) but it's clean (new towels, soap and shampoo provided for day 2). I would stay there again. It's by far one of the cheapest hotel in DC. So, for that it's worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Always a worrying sign when a taxi driver was shocked there would be a hotel at the address.... As you will see elsewhere on here it is a hostel rather than a hotel. The price we paid was excessive for what we received, but all hotels in Washington had put their prices up as it was Inauguration weekend, which is why the location was great for both the National Mall and the Kennedy Center where we attended a Martin Luther King Tribute Concert.

One member of staff was particularly helpful, which did make the difference.

If you are not worried about quality and want good location for Lincoln Memorial, National Mall, etc then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We didn't share with anyone else!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I been staying at the Allan Lee since about 1994. I have never had a problem there, It is what a it is, a reasonable place to stay, because after all as a tourist in Washington, I am basically there to site see and enjoy the museums and all that, I only need a place to sleep and lock my door, and shower, and thats about it.

Room Tip: not a lower floor room. get one up some floors
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Guernsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were seriously tempted when the taxi pulled up to ask the driver to go somewhere else- the hotel looked so run down and in need of a serious lick of paint. Against our better judgment we checked in and our room was so small and poky I think a cupboard would have been a more accurate description. The staff weren't particularly helpful or friendly and we didn't feel particularly safe in the hotel. In the hotel's favour it was in a good location in Washington but I would recommend paying an extra $10 a night somewhere else for peace of mind and a better night's sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tika K
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The old rule of thumb is, "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is", as is the case with this establishment. But speaking of rules....this place is full of em. It's not that I'm against following rules in any situation, but one would expect when they are a guest at an establishment, you might be treated with some amount of respect as a customer. Not at the ol' Allen Lee. This was the first thing I noticed when I checked in, and it continued to permeate my stay over what was a week that more or less put a huge rain cloud over my time in DC.

First off, don't even think about questioning the staff, or asking for them to address any problems you might have found with your room. They have lots of posted rules, but the one overriding policy can be summed up like this "we have your credit card number, don't rock the boat and don't argue with us or we will screw with you". I've never been treated so rudely in my life, and any push back is met with rather angry tones and a very dismissive attitude. I got to witness this on several occasions as there was usually a rather loud disagreement between one guest or another and whichever slow minded, socially devoid numskull they had behind the counter for the day; and god forbid you have to deal with "the rat"...or something like that. I heard him say to one patron, "don't ever turn your back on the rat" as the patron walked away post altercation. This was the same guy that kicked me out of the lobby at 12:00 a.m. (the only place you can get a wifi signal), even though there was no rule posted to that end; all I got was "we can't post all the rules". And make sure you use the tongs for the "continental breakfast", which consists of two loaves of bread, some jam and butter. They make it very clear that tong usage is mandatory. I'm so glad they care about cleanliness when it comes to the bread line, but the rooms crawl with cockroaches and have a sense of filth about them.

One other major item of note is that this place IS NOT A HOTEL!!!!! I don't care what the website says; it's false advertisement. It seems to be a flop house, or a boarding house for refugees or something. I found on the web that they have some contract with DC services for people in between stable living situations. Lot's of random and weird characters abound in this fire trap of a building that feels as if it's about to collapse. I am not knocking anyone for being down on their luck or those facing hard times in life, but if I am staying in a hotel I don't want to have to take any belongings of worth me everywhere I go for fear of theft; which was ever present.

At the end of the day, this place seemed like the type of place you would go to score a bag of something and/or maybe get a quickie for the exchange of a few dollars. If you don't have much of value with you, don't mind being treated like a piece of crap, and all you plan to do is sleep there (covered in plastic for your own protection and good luck sleeping as there is yelling going on every night between the fine cadre of guests and constant sirens outside given the proximity to a hospital), then this is the place for you. My suggestion, stay a ways out at a cheap Days in and buy a week long metro pass. The extra time on the train would be well worth avoiding this nightmare. The Allen Lee.....or as I will forever refer to it, The Scampering Flee. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank Geoff762
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

When I booked the room, I did not expect much from it, as the price was kind of cheap compared with other hotels in Washington DC. But, when we arrived there and slept for the first day, it was much worse than I thought. The floor was a little smelly. TV had only one channel. Almost no service... In all, I will never book this hotel.

Room Tip: I do not recommend it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple